Start Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

heinz57 wrote: View Post
    who would insulate that lineup's complete lack of offense?
    Well, that's only three players. It's not a full lineup. Johnson and Davis are both active players who move well without the ball and Johnson, especially, is a very efficient offensive player. Playing with both Calderon and Wright will help them score. And in the short term, the team is going to lose a lot of games either way. The players might as well learn to play the right way while they're doing that. In the long term, Davis' offense might improve to the point when he can average 15-18 ppg. Same with Johnson. If both Johnson and Davis can eventually average 15-18 ppg and 9-10 rpg, that's good production from your starting front court. Especially if you've got a wing player or two that can score.

Anyway, do you really think Wright is the long term answer at the starting SF position? He's an excellent defender and passer, but unless he improves his jumpshot a lot, I don't see him as starter material on a good team. Wing players need to be able to at least keep the defense honest. Wright doesn't really do that.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
      Big Ed deserves to start. He has shown so much drive an potential, and that re-habbed knee seems in tip top shape. His heart, hustle, and drive are Reggie-esque, but his length and athleticism put him up a few notches for sure.

Big Ed should be the starting 5 with AB at the 4. Talk about a powerhouse combo Offense/Defense.

With this season withering away, lets let Big Ed shine next to King Bargs.
      I don't know about the King Bargs. part but he should start. He works hard enough and shown that he has a nice touch and a head for a rookie. Go Ed Go!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        Well, that's only three players. It's not a full lineup. Johnson and Davis are both active players who move well without the ball and Johnson, especially, is a very efficient offensive player. Playing with both Calderon and Wright will help them score. And in the short term, the team is going to lose a lot of games either way. The players might as well learn to play the right way while they're doing that. In the long term, Davis' offense might improve to the point when he can average 15-18 ppg. Same with Johnson. If both Johnson and Davis can eventually average 15-18 ppg and 9-10 rpg, that's good production from your starting front court. Especially if you've got a wing player or two that can score.

Anyway, do you really think Wright is the long term answer at the starting SF position? He's an excellent defender and passer, but unless he improves his jumpshot a lot, I don't see him as starter material on a good team. Wing players need to be able to at least keep the defense honest. Wright doesn't really do that.
        johnson is also a very efficient fouler. why give him a starting role, if he cant stay on the court for starter minutes?

personally, i wouldnt want to start wright.. but he's a solid role player.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
          personally, i wouldnt want to start wright.. but he's a solid role player.
          My sentiments exactly. He is a third string on a good. This season is now all about developing the young guys and getting them experience, Wright included. Everyone from fans to management should be thinking bigger about next year and beyond than what the Raps currently have. The Raptors have the 5th worst team in the league record wise as much as it pains me to say. Nobody is untouchable and no position couldn't use an upgrade.

With that said, the 4/PF spot is currently looking the most promising with Davis and Johnson. I hope they evolve in to what I think they could be.

Comment

i'd like this thought to run through triano's mind once in awhile.. "SHIT... is killing us!! I think i'll throw Ju-Ju at him"

Comment

Free Pooh Jeter

Comment

I'd say by next season Ed Davis will be in the raps starting 5 - with his presence on D, he has to be
                Your ex came by; you can call me Jonas Valanciunas, cause I'm the king of rebounds!

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                  I agree man. Especially since we slotted Demar into the starting role from day 1. I think Big Ed has just as much potential, actually more, than Demar. He should be out there balling.
                  What's with you always having to say something negative about DeMar? Are you saying that at the age of 21, demar has less potential than Ed Davis (who also is 21)? Because it's clear to see that sky is the limit for both of these guys. It all depends on how much effort they put in every game and practice, and workouts. Every now and then, I see both these guys improving on a new part of their games, so thats a good sign.

djsunyc wrote: View Post
                  you start wright + ed along with bargs and you have 2 defenders to insulate bargs while also increasing the energy level on the court...it also allows for more touches for derozan.
                  Not a bad idea. Im liking JuJu more and more every game. Except when he makes a brain fart. With Linas Kleiza coming off the bench we give our second unit a bit more punch. Linas doesn't belong anywhere near the the starting line-up. Keep him where he belongs.. On the bench.

ceez wrote: View Post
                  especially since we're not making the playoffs, its better to let him develop and what better way than giving him minutes? starting him against the KG and Amare's of the NBA?

this quote from triano is idiotic.

"He's a guy who has to bounce back and play another good one and bounce back and play another good one," coach Jay Triano said. "We haven't got time for him to have one good game and then not be there for two or three in a row. All signs are that he's getting better every time he plays, and we like the progress."

how do they not have time?
                  This is the exact reason why i think this team isn't going to succeed with JT as coach. Our problem isn't scoring. Its defence. Man I was watching the last game against the Spurs and like usual I couldn't help but notice how Gregg Poppovic is such a stud. He is the type of coach that demands respect from everyone. We absolutely need someone like him if we want this team to start winning. It's sad to say that we haven't had the pleasure of advancing past the second round of the playoffs. It's hard not to dream sometimes.
                  We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

I think its safe to say, that the Raptors got a steal with the drafting of Ed Davis. (The second best steal behind Fields). He should easily be a double-double machine averaging two blocks a game, come this time next year. Unfortunately, his skill sets mirror Amir, only with a better body.

If you take a look at Hollinger's Rookie statistics. Easy Ed has the second best PER, behind Blake Griffin. And he has the 5th highest value added among rookies. We should be very, very happy with the kid. http://http://insider.espn.go.com/nb...tion%3drookies
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Watching Ed Davis play has been one of the few highlights this year. I'll admit I was like "who" when they drafted him but I'm a huge fan. Only thing I don't like is his frame seems really narrow. Not sure how much heft he'll be able to add. I love his rebounding and ability to contest. Seems active on D and kinda looks like a young Jermaine Oneal without the attitude.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Amir's offence was not great at the start of last season when we picked him up, but look at it now. When not in foul trouble, the dude finishes virtually anything around the rim and I wouldn't be suprised if he led the team in And 1's. He just has soft hands and I'd say Davis is about as far as Amir was at the start of last season if not even a little further. As he works with Alex English, his offence and shooting will improve, he hasn't missed a foul shot in these past few games (not that thats a judge of anything, but it could potentially dictate thats hes been working with English on his shooting).

Comment

Working...
                        X