No announcement yet.

Hedo Talks Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you're slow and fat, and always trailing behind your teammates up court, you cant really complain about being a perimiter catch and shoot player.

oliver miller overcame his fatness by learning how to throw really long accurate passes

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      In this article he complained that Toronto only wanted him to catch and shoot. I agree he showed up out of shape and never got in shape.
      Yes, BUT, not catch and shoot off a high - low feed to their low post guy. Watch him and Dwight.

Pass to Dwight, double/triple team converges, kick out to catch and shoot Hedo.

Toronto wanted him to cut cross court, north south, spot up in the corner pockets. What happened most times- CLANG CLANG CLANG

Comment

Good find. I'm actually happy for him. The Toronto situation just didn't work out. It is what it is.

Comment

Hmmm...looks pretty doughy in a Raps uni.

http://twitpic.com/3tyyqz
          Last edited by Raptoronto; Thu Jan 27, 2011, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Hedo has all the rights in the world to brag after his recent plays in Orlando. He has proven that under the right system, he is a very capable player. The problem is OUR Dumb ASS GM who gives such a contract to a player without thinking about if he is going to fit the system.

Then it is our DUMB ASS Coach who has no clue on how to use the players effectively.

Look at NO now. They are top 4 team in defence in the league and have Belineli and Jack as starter and first guy off the bench. How is it these guys couldn't play defence worth a Lick and now they can handle their share in a team like NO ???

Answer is the system, coaching and keep people accountable. All these are lacking in our team.

Comment

I call Bullshit. So much bullshit. Fuck this self-aggrandizing asshole.

Hedo had the ball as a facilitator more often than he didn't when he was in Toronto. I seem to recall all sorts of him getting the ball on the wing and doing jack shit with it. Not once can I remember them sticking him in the corner like Mo Pete or Anthony Parker to be this "spot up shooter" role he is claiming.

This is an obvious case of a guy who is making excuses for his shitty effort and poor play in 2 NBA stops. He got paid, and then mailed it in on two mediocre teams. Clearly he can be an effective player in the right situation, but apparently there is only one such situation --> Orlando with the league's most dominant post player (coincidence?)

This story is an example of revisionist history.

And Hedo is the one who has the most to gain by the revision. Don't believe the hype, he's a mediocre NBA player who cashed in on one good post-season because his agent was in his ear talking $$$ the whole time. Hedo had his talents overrated by the NBA pundits and he took it to the bank.
              Last edited by TheR3dMenace; Thu Jan 27, 2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Hedo didn't give a shit and didn't get enough ball. Meh.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  If only Colangelo had realized early on (like pretty much everyone else), that Chris Bosh cannot be used as a centerpiece for rebuilding, we wouldn't have wasted our time with JO or Hedo. Bosh was literally stuffed down our throats as a "franchise player" when everybody deep down knew he wasn't.

Hedo is right that the Raptors misused him. My question is whether what his role was going to be on the team was communicated to him up-front, because how he's going to be used shouldn't come as a surprise to the player. Shouldn't that be communicated in the earliest stages of negotiation? I'm thinking the Raptors made an offer without even thinking about whether it was going to be a good fit from Hedo's end, they envisioned him a certain way and never communicated that to him. Either that, or the MASSIVE contract he was offered blinded his senses and he accepted without thought.
                  He almost signed with Portland where the ball would have been in Brandon Roy's hands. All he wanted was money. Once he got money he wanted a good role but didn't want or try to earn it.

Comment

tbihis wrote: View Post
                    Unfortunately, historically, Raps so-called franchise players have been determined this way. Skill-wise, our past franchise players have been really good, they can all be labeled franchise players statistics wise, but when it comes to the mental and attitude aspect, theyre probably a 15th man on the team. And unfortunately, thats the most important aspect, IMO, that a franchise player should possess.
                    Did u forget who bosh played with? Name the guys who worked harder and were mentally tougher... Anthony Parker, Garbo and maybe MoPete. That's it.

Comment

I don't need to pick sides on this debate. Both can be true. Hedo was not used to the best of his abilities and he was a lazy, self-absorbed quitter.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        when you're slow and fat, and always trailing behind your teammates up court, you cant really complain about being a perimiter catch and shoot player.

oliver miller overcame his fatness by learning how to throw really long accurate passes
                        That is gold.

Hedo did come into camp out of shape, but management screwed the pooch again by letting him rest due to his "fatigue" instead of recognizing that he was fat and needed to shed weight. The Raptors treated him like a prima donna and he soaked it in. Besides, how do you be fatigued and be fat? Or was he fatigued because he was fat?

Comment

it's a shame...not only did the raps 'waste' his talent, so did he. basketball is so much more than a physical game...requires mental & psychological strength, and part of that is trusting yourself to leave your comfort zone if doing so benefits the greater good. i'm not trying to argue that the raps used him 'correctly,' i simply find it an all-too-convenient excuse for a guy who showed up woefully out of shape (perhaps due to injury) & who missed the majority of training camp/pre-season. how is a coaching staff supposed to trust that you're capable of replicating your 'success' as a facilitator with a completely new team if they don't get a chance to see it first-hand (i.e. TC/pre-season)? remember, last year was the year they were going to make a hard push, 'convince' bosh to stay by having a 'successful' season (i have no idea how MLSE/BC would define that...i assume it would be - at worst - making a strong showing in the playoffs). to toss hedo into the role of facilitator without knowing how it would turn out was, for them, a too-risky move. i'm sure they would have LIKED for him to be in that role, but he took himself out of the running for it...seems like a classic example of a marginal player believing the (ridiculous) over-hyping of his talent. further, it's not like the raps had set themselves up properly in terms of personnel to take full advantage of his skills as a facilitator - running the PnR/PnP with dwight (who ALWAYS rolls - and hard) is different than running it with either bargs or bosh, who are both more inclined to pop than to roll. bosh isn't nearly the same type of player as dwight - dwight needed to be set up, bosh was/is more of a 'dump it in & let him decide what to do with the ball' kind of guy. you'd also be marginalizing what was thought to be one of the raps' strengths - the PG position with jose & jack, both of whom need the ball to be productive (neither has ever been much of an 'off-the-ball' type player).

maybe that's the problem with the 'busts' who have come to the raps - they look at the lack of success with the team, and the lack of 'star' talent, and assume that they'll be 'the man' when they get here, and that all those lower-level players will be acquiescing to them, never thinking that they might have to adjust their games &/or personalities to fit in. i think we saw that with hedo & jack, and to a lesser extent (perhaps), JO.
                          Last edited by yertu damkule; Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:27 AM.
                          TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            This above post seems kinda outta sorts in this particular thread.

As for Hedo, he needs the ball in his hands to be effective. He's essentially a 6'10" PG in a SF's body. He would have been REALLY successful in Portland playing point forward. In Toronto, he's not as effective because we had 2 PGs in Jack and Calderon who had the ball in their hands all the time. Nash dominated the ball in Phoenix. He's doing much better in Orlando because he has the ball in the hands.
                            except that roy dominates the ball, and they also have miller...those two have had enough trouble playing nicely together, i can't imagine adding hedo wouldn't have created the same situation as the one in TO. except, of course, he would have had to have knee surgery. what, that isn't prerequisite of being a blazer? i think batum is scheduled for his in april...

Comment

RPT23 wrote: View Post
                              Actually, wasn't he dubbed "The Turkish Michael Jordan"?
                              yes, but what are the chances it was the Turkish who did that dubbing?

Comment

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
                                Hedo has all the rights in the world to brag after his recent plays in Orlando. He has proven that under the right system, he is a very capable player. The problem is OUR Dumb ASS GM who gives such a contract to a player without thinking about if he is going to fit the system.

Then it is our DUMB ASS Coach who has no clue on how to use the players effectively.

Look at NO now. They are top 4 team in defence in the league and have Belineli and Jack as starter and first guy off the bench. How is it these guys couldn't play defence worth a Lick and now they can handle their share in a team like NO ???

Answer is the system, coaching and keep people accountable. All these are lacking in our team.
                                amazing how much better someone can look from a defensive perspective when there's legit post-D playing behind them, huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X