should we go after him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should we go after him

what do you think of martel webster as our 3 ...

Depends on what the offer is. I wouldn't actively pursue him. He hasn't shown much since he came into the leaegue. He came in with a lot of promise, straight out of high school but never really fully lived up to any of the billing. Great NBA body however. It seems weird that the Wolves traded for him and drafted Wes Johnson the same night.

Comment

ab7 wrote: View Post
      what do you think of martel webster as our 3 ...
      If Calderon is included in the deal then yes. Given the team's record I have seen enough positive from Bayless to let him start. He'd make a lot of mistakes due to inexperience as he does not but the playing time would be extremely beneficial to erasing such mistakes in the future.

One issue I would have with Webster is his back. MIN traded for him knowing there were issues and then asked the league to go back and look at the trade anyways.

Comment

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4ehrbpe

Something like the above would work for me.

MIN is on the hook for one extra million in salary by doing this deal. They rid their PG's for Rubio to come over - again with the idea of Calderon being a mentor. Keep in mind Calderon is a double-double on TOR, imagine him working with Beasley and Love, plus he can shoot which is necessary for the PG in the triangle. They get Anthony Randolph who they reportedly had interest in but that seems to have died of late.

TOR would get Webster, Brewer, and Flynn. Flynn might be easy to package with their own draft pick to move up and take Irving if that possibility was there with another team (I'm totally talking out of my @ss here). Also, a new change of scenery might be good for Flynn. Brewer would be nice to have a for 30 games to see what he can do and as a RFA TOR would be able to decide if they want to keep him or not. Webster is owed $5.2M next season with a team option for the following season. I think if Kleiza was healthy, he and Webster would be nice combo at the 3. Both have manageable contracts and, again, Webster is only 1 more season with a team option.

NY gets their back up PG. From what I've read, they are content to wait for Melo to become a FA and not give away their team and youth to get him.

I'd do this.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

MIN is on the hook for one extra million in salary by doing this deal. They rid their PG's for Rubio to come over - again with the idea of Calderon being a mentor. Keep in mind Calderon is a double-double on TOR, imagine him working with Beasley and Love, plus he can shoot which is necessary for the PG in the triangle. They get Anthony Randolph who they reportedly had interest in but that seems to have died of late.

TOR would get Webster, Brewer, and Flynn. Flynn might be easy to package with their own draft pick to move up and take Irving if that possibility was there with another team (I'm totally talking out of my @ss here). Also, a new change of scenery might be good for Flynn. Brewer would be nice to have a for 30 games to see what he can do and as a RFA TOR would be able to decide if they want to keep him or not. Webster is owed $5.2M next season with a team option for the following season. I think if Kleiza was healthy, he and Webster would be nice combo at the 3. Both have manageable contracts and, again, Webster is only 1 more season with a team option.

NY gets their back up PG. From what I've read, they are content to wait for Melo to become a FA and not give away their team and youth to get him.

I'd do this.

nah if it involves trading weems im not with it

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
            nah if it involves trading weems im not with it

Weems!? Sonny Weems is the trading chip you won't let go of? The guy is an RFA, has a PER of 12, and is playing himself out of a job, and he's the untradable piece on this roster?

I would rather have Rob Babcock back as GM before you get any say in who gets traded and who does not.

Comment

I'd do this.
              I'd do that deal too. But it's a pretty shit deal for NY. Minnesota doesn't exactly make out like bandits considering the talent they're giving up.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                I'd do that deal too. But it's a pretty shit deal for NY. Minnesota doesn't exactly make out like bandits considering the talent they're giving up.
                Fair enough.

Calderon is arguably the best player in the deal (or Ridnour). For MIN this all about ridding current PG's to get Rubio over (Ridnour, Flynn gone and Telfair expiring). Flynn/Webster/Brewer are not playing big minutes (Brewer has been on the block for a while). Flynn is not fitting in this year it seems.

NY reportedly wants Ridnour. Maybe MIN throws in a draft pick for NY? Maybe Toronto gives up MIA to MIN or NY? Maybe TOR takes on Mason ($1.4M expiring) and instead of Rautins, MIN gets Douglas and NY gets MIN pick (UTA or MEM).

I think the framework is good. The details could use some work.

Comment

Fair enough.

Calderon is arguably the best player in the deal (or Ridnour). For MIN this all about ridding current PG's to get Rubio over (Ridnour, Flynn gone and Telfair expiring). Flynn/Webster/Brewer are not playing big minutes (Brewer has been on the block for a while). Flynn is not fitting in this year it seems.

NY reportedly wants Ridnour. Maybe MIN throws in a draft pick for NY? Maybe Toronto gives up MIA to MIN or NY? Maybe TOR takes on Mason ($1.4M expiring) and instead of Rautins, MIN gets Douglas and NY gets MIN pick (UTA or MEM).

I think the framework is good. The details could use some work.
                  If based on current play, then yes, Calderon is the best player in the deal.
                  I can't see though Calderon being enough to entice Rubio to come over. Flynn/Webster/Brewer are not playing big minutes right now, but collectively the potential is there.

I think NY wants a capable backup PG - which they can probably get with Jason Williams. I don't think the Knicks want any part of giving up Douglas. They really like him in New York.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    If based on current play, then yes, Calderon is the best player in the deal.
                    I can't see though Calderon being enough to entice Rubio to come over. Flynn/Webster/Brewer are not playing big minutes right now, but collectively the potential is there.

I think NY wants a capable backup PG - which they can probably get with Jason Williams. I don't think the Knicks want any part of giving up Douglas. They really like him in New York.
                    Reportedly Rubio is not pleased with the number of PG's on the roster in MIN. He wants the starting job to be handed to him. As for Calderon in MIN, I could be wrong, the two may hate each other, but mentor, help with english language, and NBA transition from one country man to another has to be appealing for Rubio, coaching staff, and management. I could be dead wrong there.

NYK definitely liked Douglas but whispers about Ridnour or another back up PG have been given since later Nov/early Dec. The pieces in this trade would have no impact on their stake in the Melo sweepstakes.

Ridnour is a good player on a very reasonable contract. If the Knicks want him - and they could use him as they are playoff bound - they have to give something to get something. Randolph, Mason, Rautins, or Douglas is the cost of doing business, IMO.

Comment

"I think we have too many wing players and it may be something we have to address, if not before the deadline then certainly next summer. The concept was we would create a lot of competition for playing time in practices but I don’t think it works as well. It works more theoretically than practically." David Kahn

http://www.awolfamongwolves.com/?p=371#more-371

How about this?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=4j3qknh
                      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Jan 29, 2011, 10:47 AM.

Comment

bad idea

Comment

after seiing him tonight killing us id like that 4 sure and he is young and a better 3 than anything we have

Comment

duncan wrote: View Post
                            Weems!? Sonny Weems is the trading chip you won't let go of? The guy is an RFA, has a PER of 12, and is playing himself out of a job, and he's the untradable piece on this roster?

I would rather have Rob Babcock back as GM before you get any say in who gets traded and who does not.

What r u talkin bout. This guy is good, he played well early in the season and scored 20+ points against teams like orlando and Boston. He's playin bad right now cause of his back. To be honost the whole Raptors roster is shit anyways the only players that r like half decent r derozen, Weems (when he's healthy), Barbosa, Bargs is ok but he sucks at Defence, Bayless is good too but takes too many shots and acts more like a SG than a PG. Idk i like weems he provides energy to the team.

Comment

Working...
                            X