Showing off Calderon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
    Calderon's defensive rating is better then Bayless's.
    I wouldn't put too much stock into those kind of stats. If you ever watch them play defense man to man and fight off screens and box people out, Bayless is much much better! I applaud Jose for trying really hard as oppose to Bargnani! He's just useless! He actually has the potential to be good defensively because he's shown it in spurts of 5 seconds, that's the frustrating part! Jose Calderon is actually trying his hardest and is getting his ankles broken. I don't know what game it was, possibly Miami, where Calderon just fell over because the offensive player did a head fake and calderon was so overwhelmed, he just fell over! Of course he nailed a three pointer while Calderon laid on the ground from the killer head fake! Unreal!

Comment

JalenRose5 wrote: View Post
      I wouldn't put too much stock into those kind of stats. If you ever watch them play defense man to man and fight off screens and box people out, Bayless is much much better! I applaud Jose for trying really hard as oppose to Bargnani! He's just useless! He actually has the potential to be good defensively because he's shown it in spurts of 5 seconds, that's the frustrating part! Jose Calderon is actually trying his hardest and is getting his ankles broken. I don't know what game it was, possibly Miami, where Calderon just fell over because the offensive player did a head fake and calderon was so overwhelmed, he just fell over! Of course he nailed a three pointer while Calderon laid on the ground from the killer head fake! Unreal!
      I do agree Bayless has great foot work on defense.
      However, Calderon wasn't "so overwhelmed" by Chalmers jab, what actually happened was he rolled over onto his bad ankle and fell. It was a killer Jab step but had he not rolled his ankle, he wouldn't have gone down. He's been having problems with that ankle all year and as he went down you can see him grab the ankle.

I've been watching Calderon pretty close this year, and I've got to say that I don't really see what you're talking about WhatWhat. He is talking on Defense and he hasn't been getting beat off the bounce this year nearly as often as in the past. Not to mention that on top of that, he's leading the team in steals as well. Though not a complete indication of ones defense, I think its safe to say there is no 'Toxic Environment'. Dude is a pro.

Comment

loved everyhting you said tim w
        Last edited by knickz; Fri Jan 28, 2011, 09:59 AM.
        "the raptors were my fav team growing up"-kevin durant

Comment

bang on

Comment

don't understand all this jose hate...the guys knows he's not wanted but still comes to work everyday and gives it his all....majority of nba players would bitch and complain

Comment

I would trade bargnani in a heart beat but because our current GM has a personal investment in him, he will never let his number one pick leave, therefore the most popular trading chip is Jose Calderon.

Calderon and the miami draft pick for mayo
              bargs is the obvious choice but sadly it will be jose

Comment

I would like to see Jose retire a Raptor.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
                  You seriously don't think Bargnani and Calderon not being benched for their poor defense isn't affecting the rest of the team's effort on that end? Or at least sending a horrible message to them. (Pretty much: It's ok if you can't play defense as long as you're scoring.) It's not Calderon or Bargs that is creating the toxic culture, it's the combo of them playing so many minutes despite their very poor defensive play. Maybe this is more on Triano then. Maybe my increasing desire for passable D is making me too harsh. It's probably the injuries, but I'm just getting this feeling of listlessness from the team. Idk, but we need to stop giving them so many minutes man.

As for Calderon's D. It was much better in the beginning of the year, when he was struggling offensively. Then as his offense came back around it has been rapidly approaching last year's level. That Philly game: last year's level. Dude allowed at least 3 easy blowbys in the first few minutes of the Philly game. But he's showing effort, I guess.

I generally agree with the rest of your post though.
                  I can't believe I'm saying this but Calderon's defence has improved. He's fighting through screens a lot better and is communicating on defence. Bargs on the other hand has regressed and continues to be exposed as a limited overall player since the departure of Bosh. I'm not sure about the toxic culture but to place a tremendous hierarchy within a team where one guy gets to chuck 20+ shots a game but rarely goes after balls is frustrating for sure. Very few will argue that Howard is the main guy in Orlando while Durant is in OKC. However, if you look at their work ethic, passion, which eventually translates onto their numbers, their main designations are well deserved. I simply do not see that kind of fire in him. Sure, I've never been in the locker room and hear them speak but Bargs will not be the type to speak up. He's the one quietly eating his banana in the corner.

PS> In defense of Calderon and his position, defence is not as emphasized in his position as say the center spot (see Derek Fisher, an equally poor defender on the defending champs roster). He is a calm influence on offence and has become the more valuable guy on this team. If he goes, he will be missed. If he stays, he will be a great mentor to Bayless.
                  Last edited by Balls of Steel; Fri Jan 28, 2011, 10:38 AM.
                  “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I would trade bargnani in a heart beat but because our current GM has a personal investment in him, he will never let his number one pick leave, therefore the most popular trading chip is Jose Calderon.

Calderon and the miami draft pick for mayo
                    This isn't baseball where the salaries don't have to match.
                    The most popular trading chip isn't Calderon's.. it's probably Reggie Evans' contract.. or DeRozan/Davis/1st rounder (TOR)/TPE. I'd say those are the most popular trading chips.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                      The Roll Call and writeup this morning both had comments that the Raptors were showcasing Calderon as a possible trade come february. Does anyone else think that's a good idea? Maybe the plan is to put Bayless in the starting role and then draft a PG
                      Bayless is better - 4 times a year louis williams make Calderon his b*tch and it reminds me just how terrible a team can be when you dont slow or stop the ball @ the point of attack.
                      "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

The Rawth wrote: View Post
                        Jason Williams has been waived, if we pick him up temporarily, him being a veteran could aid development of confidence for Bayless
                        a) Williams was waived for a reason
                        b) He's pretty much retired and would have no interest in coming to a rebuilding team
                        c) Why on earth would you want him?
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Trade calderon for a big, then draft kyrie irving.

Comment

Working...
                          X