Hypothetical thread two: Should he stay or go? Jay Triano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Good find. Different situations though - IMO. That was at the start of the season and playoffs were still a possibility and an expectation for the season. That is not the same expectation as this season.
    Agreed but he also fired him after an 8-9 start.

Triano inherited a team that went to the playoffs the year before. He has proceeded to not make it there again, even with the "best team" BC has ssembled in his time with the Raptors.

There have been many 'debacles' the past few years under Trianos watch and most notably, defence is not taking place on the court for the past few years.

There is not much accountability around these parts from the top on down.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
      Agreed but he also fired him after an 8-9 start.

Triano inherited a team that went to the playoffs the year before. He has proceeded to not make it there again, even with the "best team" BC has ssembled in his time with the Raptors.

There have been many 'debacles' the past few years under Trianos watch and most notably, defence is not taking place on the court for the past few years.

There is not much accountability around these parts from the top on down.
      I think that was more on the players especially Bosh and Hedo. They were bigger disappointments than Triano coaching. They were 5th in east at allstar break and lost the final spot in playoffs on the last day of season - oh yeah and if Bosh had made the tip in vs GSW... escuse, excuse, excuse - lol.

With the high turnover of players in the last few seasons, I am starting to question the coaches and their defensive practices. I am majorly disappinted in PJ. I expected more. He has a solid defensive history as a coach. Then again BC needs some accountability for the roster. A few more Ed Davis type players will help alot.

It is tough to be accountable right now with the rash of injuries and the errors/poor play by a number of players on either one or both sides of the ball.

I don't think firing JT is the best thing right now but if noticeable changes are not made by the end of the season, see you Jay.

Comment

I'm simply not qualified to make a judgement call on the coaching ability of Jay Triano. The players seem to play for him. Our defence is clearly sub par but is that coaching or simply youth and inexperience? The one thing I won't do is dismiss the importance of consistency in coaching, particularly with such a young team that, through the draft, is only going to become younger. The approach I want to see is to keep adding top tier talent through the draft as opposed to through trades, and surround the existing youth with more experienced players. Ultimately it is patience that will have to steer this ship. And we'll have to get lucky by finding a franchise type player in the draft. This teams fortunes are far more dependant on Colangelo than on Triano. Fans are far too knee jerk and if Colangelo is half the GM I hope he is, he will continue to dismiss those fans who continually call for heads be it players or coaches.

Comment

I think he will get one more season next year, and that will be his time to shine or fail.... obviously he will go if it is the later...
          Buschfire

Raptors fan since day 1.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            You're suggesting Jerry did BC a 'big' and hired his Coach to Replace Mike D'antoni on perhaps the Biggest International Stage in Basketball? Thats hilarious. Jay has PROVEN international experience, and to suggest he was hired based on anything but that, is ridiculous.

He's been with USAB program since 2007, which was actually BEFORE he was hired by BC to be the Raps Head Coach.
            Jerry Colangelo is regarded as perhaps the greatest mind in Basketball Management. I think he knows a thing or two. So whether it was him or the Coaching Staff is a moot point, as Triano is still a part of that Staff.
            No! Jerry did himself a favour

Comment

Zigus wrote: View Post
              No! Jerry did himself a favour
              Jerry did himself a favour? Or Jerry did his son a favour?

By the "No!", it sounds like you're arguing that Jerry Colangelo (again, one of the greatest minds in Basketball) hired the Toronto Raptors Assistant Coach at the time, to be an Assistant Coach with one of the Greatest International Programs; in order to do his Son a favour?
              I'm not sure I see any logic in that argument.

Comment

Messina

Comment

Working...
                X