Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical thread two: Should he stay or go? Jay Triano

Many fans are calling for JT's head.

Personally, I think he should stay on for the year. Not much sense getting rid of him now. The players have shown development and the team hasn't quit on him.

However, I think there should be a new coach brought in for next year. Hopefully the draft is favourable for the Raps, the TPE brings more player(s), and the trade deadline brings more picks, talent, youth, and flexibility. The deadline and draft should pass and then pick a coach based on what the roster is looking like.

A little criteria I think are important: EXPERIENCE. I'm tired of first year head coaches coming to the Raptors. Bring in someone with experience. It doesn't have to be Phil Jackson or Larry Brown or Jerry Sloan or Greg Popovich but someone who has had NBA coaching experience and some success. Also a coach who has shown a history of overachieving and developing young talent.

So who should be brought in? These are the coaches that came to mind:

1) Mo Cheeks.
    2) Eddie Jordan.
    3) Mike Brown.
    4) Mike Woodson.

Of the above, I like Mike Woodson. He developed a young team in ATL that was lottery bound year in and year out and took them to the playoffs. He didn't win it all, or the East for that matter, but questionable drafting (CP3? Williams? No Marvin Williams) certainly played a role. He has playoff experience, developed young talent, assistant coached with Pistons championship team (which I would like to see the Raps emulate), is very defensive minded, and most importantly won't be learning on the fly this time around like he did with the Hawks.

More on Woodson: http://www.nba.com/coachfile/mike_woodson/index.html

So enough of my thoughts, what do you think? Should Triano go? If so, who replaces him?
    YES! Get him out as soon as possible!
    25.64%
    NO! He deserves to grow with the team!
    30.77%
    NOT YET! Wait until the season ends.
    43.59%
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sun Jan 30, 2011, 04:33 PM.

I'm not sure if Bernie Bickerstaff is looking to be a Head Coach anymore, but he's currently an Assistant in Portland, and I remember him being really good with the young guys in Charlotte.

I'm not completely sold on getting rid of Triano, as I think he is a very good coach and has a VERY high basketball IQ. As I've pointed out before, there is a reason he was hired by Coach K and D'antoni to coach with the USA Select Squad. That is an All-Star team of Coaches and picked him for a reason.

That said, I wouldn't be against bringing in someone with a proven pedigree. If Rick Carlisle is ever let go (again) I'd like to see him with the Raps. Liked him ever since Detroit. Turned them around REAL fast.

Oo, and "The Czar" Mike Fratello is probably quite comfortable being an commentator, but if he would come out of "retirement' that would be a huge coup for BC.
    Last edited by Joey; Sun Jan 30, 2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Didn't Woodson get fired for basically not running any plays?
      My first choice would be Larry brown I think him and pj would be good together. Mike brown would be my other choice.

Comment

Jim O'Brien was just fired.

Expect a flood of suggestions we pick him up as Coach. Book it.

Comment

BC can not fire him right now since he already has a 3 million dollar coach on his payroll plus Ivoroni from last year and...

Plus, if they do , his assistance is going to get the job which I am not a big fan either. He was suppose to fix the D and we actually became worst this year !!!

Comment

JT is a pretty good coach for young players, but there needs to be more honesty from this team. I'm tired of hearing that we took good shots and played good defense in games like yesterday.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that we're losing games, I just don't think we should be losing so badly against such a horrible team. If we had lost to the T-wolves by even 4 or 5 points, I could understand that.

Comment

I really like Mike Brown. Despite having LeBron on his team, he was defensive minded (learned under the wings of none other than Gregg Popovich).
              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

i really like what mike woodson did with the hawks, but for now i would wait until the end of the season to fire triano. try and see how bad the team can get and try to get a better pick for the 2011 draft
                http://www.twitter.com/YateeshKevin23

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                  Didn't Woodson get fired for basically not running any plays?
                  My first choice would be Larry brown I think him and pj would be good together. Mike brown would be my other choice.
                  I'm wondering if you are getting Mike Woodson (ATL) and Mike Brown (CLE) mixed up. If not, sorry. I know that is my issue with Brown - no plays ran. It was just give the ball to LeBron and get out of the way. It worked well in the regular season but was an issue in the playoffs.

Larry Brown would not get my choice. He is too involved in player decisions (take Augustin over Lopez, but we have Felton, I don't care take Augustin), pouts when he doesn't get his own way, and has shown time and time again the players tune him out in a very short period of time. Look at CHA without him this year.

Comment

van gundy or larry brown

but why fire jay ? itz not his fault his gm gave him pretty much one of the worst rosters in the league and supposed best player has no heart or ability to grab a board even tho he is 7 foot tall

Comment

Mike Woodson is a terrible coach , he couldnt draw up a single decent play , all he relied on was fast break offense.

Mike Brown is the only decent coach out of all of those names. Hes an excellent defensive coach but one of the worst offensive coaches . He would be a pretty good fit .
                      " Offense sells tickets ; defense wins championships "

Comment

There are a TON of good coaches and assistants out there, but the guy I would love for them to target is Nate MacMillian. He's proven he can work with young guys and a decimated roster (he got the Trailblazers to the post season last year with injuries worse than the Raptors had) and he has good cache around the league. If they don't go that way, I wouldn't mind getting in a good young assistant like Mike Budenholzer (lead assistant in San Antonio), Ty Corbin (Former player, Utah) or even Sam Cassell. Even Tim Grgurich would be a decent pickup.

BTW, anyone that defends Triano, IMO, a coach can affect defence and effort on that end, and Toronto has been ABYSMAL at that. The fact that this team has zero defensive intensity reflects on the coaching effort.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          I'm wondering if you are getting Mike Woodson (ATL) and Mike Brown (CLE) mixed up. If not, sorry. I know that is my issue with Brown - no plays ran. It was just give the ball to LeBron and get out of the way. It worked well in the regular season but was an issue in the playoffs.

Larry Brown would not get my choice. He is too involved in player decisions (take Augustin over Lopez, but we have Felton, I don't care take Augustin), pouts when he doesn't get his own way, and has shown time and time again the players tune him out in a very short period of time. Look at CHA without him this year.
                          I think I am remembering correctly, most of Atlanta offense was Isolation and after being sweep by orlando I think they wanted to go a different direction.

Mike brown may have the same issue but I would really like to know if that is the fault of lebron or mike brown and I say that because of the way the heat had no idea how to play as a team at the beginning of the year.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                            I'm not completely sold on getting rid of Triano, as I think he is a very good coach and has a VERY high basketball IQ. As I've pointed out before, there is a reason he was hired by Coach K and D'antoni to coach with the USA Select Squad. That is an All-Star team of Coaches and picked him for a reason.
                            Yes, and that reason is named Jerry Colangelo.

I'm for Triano sticking around, its not his fault the team has a losing record, and I do think he has what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA. But to say Coach K, D'Antoni, or any other coach picked him for USA selects probably isn't accurate. You'd have to go higher-up into USA basketball to see who hired him - BC's dad.

Comment

TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
                              Yes, and that reason is named Jerry Colangelo.

I'm for Triano sticking around, its not his fault the team has a losing record, and I do think he has what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA. But to say Coach K, D'Antoni, or any other coach picked him for USA selects probably isn't accurate. You'd have to go higher-up into USA basketball to see who hired him - BC's dad.
                              You're suggesting Jerry did BC a 'big' and hired his Coach to Replace Mike D'antoni on perhaps the Biggest International Stage in Basketball? Thats hilarious. Jay has PROVEN international experience, and to suggest he was hired based on anything but that, is ridiculous.

He's been with USAB program since 2007, which was actually BEFORE he was hired by BC to be the Raps Head Coach.
                              Jerry Colangelo is regarded as perhaps the greatest mind in Basketball Management. I think he knows a thing or two. So whether it was him or the Coaching Staff is a moot point, as Triano is still a part of that Staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X