No announcement yet.

Hypothetical thread two: Should he stay or go? Jay Triano

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing against JT, but I think the Raptors need a real defensive-minded coach to crack down on this team. Imagine if the Raps had taken a shot at Tom Thibodeau in the off-season. The Bulls play great defence now and they're still pretty exciting offensively. Mike Brown might be a good fit if he had someone with him (Alex English?) to coach offence.

Re: plays, look at the Raps - they hardly run any plays and still score over 100 a game most nights. Though I think that sometimes, they don't know what they're going to do so the defence can't really prepare for them.

BC doesn't get off the hook here - I've maintained throughout the years that the Raptors can't stop dribble penetration not because they have bad defenders (though they do), but because they don't HAVE any dribble penetrators. Tough trying to stop something you never get to see in practice. NO is a great defensive team because they have to stop CP3 every freaking day in practice, and he doesn't let up, ever. I'm sure all the Raptors guards can shut down Jose Calderon pretty effectively, but Jose's a really nice Lexus in a league of Mazeratis. That's not JT's fault.

BC needs to acquire strong defenders, but there's also a need to acquire some players with decent handles. I'd even overpay for Jamal Crawford at this point if he was the missing piece.

Comment

I'm comfortable letting Triano grow with the team. The injuries and talent are not there and he has been good to motivate the energy players and there are games like the wins over Dallas and Boston this year and rallies like the one against Miami on January 22 that show he knows where the adrenal gland is on these guys, except maybe Bargnani. Would any other coach get a better performance out of these kids right now? Byron Scott went into Cleveland with a great resume, but faced with a similar roster has not been able to turn the corner. You could say similar of what Avery Johnson (and Sam Mitchell) are trying to do in New Jersey. A coach should not be blamed or painted as a failure because of unreasonable fan expectations. Minnesota was the low point of the season but every team has a night when nothing is in synch. The Raptors don't have the talent or the experience for them to hide from the punishment of their off nights.

See what occurs at the trade deadline, pick up a good locker room vet over the summer, add a draft pick or three and see what happens in 11-12. If the team fails to show growth then it is time to scour the coaching ranks. But make sure he has the tools to succeed and a reasonable expectation of success.

Comment

Keep JT for the season...he is doing a bangup job ensuring (intentionally or not) the Raps get a high pick in the next draft. I believe he is probably now losing the team...he has already lost many in the fanbase with some of his decision making...personnel choices as well play calling and lack of defensive intensity. Much maybe at the behest of BC.

My choice would be Jim Cleamons a current asst. with the Lakers. He is probably a favourite for the hc job there if/when Jackson retires but if not would be a great choice imv...the caveat being if he now has the patience to go with a young group after working with a championship team for so long.

Comment

He's had enough time

He's had 3 distinct scenarios to work with:
          - he inherited a team that made the playoffs 2 years in a row, and it did worse under him than under Mitchell

- he started the year with a team with playoff contention as a realistic outcome and went into a free fall and missed the playoffs

- he has a young team, that outside of usage rate, hasn't had any carryover player improve.

I don't care if it isn't "his fault" that the current roster is lousy or so injury riddled...most coaches don't have the luxury of so many lives, or surviving 3 GMs.

Carlesimo isn't the answer either - he's a retread who has never succeeded as a head coach.

They need fresh blood but someone who has NBA coaching experience who can teach and instill defense. If Thibodeau can do it in Chicago, Mike Brown could do it in Toronto....

No rookie coaches this time around.

The only reason Triano is still coaching is because they don't want to pay him not to coach for the second half and during a lockout. He will not be coaching game 1 of the next season.

Comment

I don't understand why Triano should be fired...

- coaching one of the youngest rosters in the league with no proven star
            - given all the injuries, new faces and 3rd string/d-leaguers on the roster, there has never been a consistent lineup and/or rotation
            - team is going with young players and giving them time to play and learn on the job
            - even with all the injuries, young players and lack of time to gel as a team, the Raptors record is pretty much on par with what most experts predicted at the start of the season, so it's not like they are underachieving

Coaches, like players, need time to develop their skills and need to have some consistency in order to develop team chemistry. I personally think Triano has done a good job with the revolving-door lineup/rotation, in that he has kept the team competitive and motivated on most nights, despited the inexperienced / injury-plagued season and natural growing pains that come with a true rebuilding year.

If this was last year's team with last year's expectations, then I would support firing Triano now. However, I think Triano should be given a chance to grow with the team and I also don't believe any coach could have gotten many more wins out of this team this season.

Comment

Sorry guys, Colangelo's history doesn't suggest he will hire an experienced, veteran head coach. You also have to consider how attractive (or unattractive) this job is given the current state of the team. My suspicion is it will be an assistant that is looking for a first head coaching role: Tyrone Corbin, Brian Shaw (if he doesn't get the Lakers gig and a good job doesn't open up), Bill Laimbeer, MIke Budenholzer (though SA assts. track record is mixed).

It also has to be someone who has the same philosophy as BC and a guy whose system the star players (whoever they are) will buy into. Personally, I don't see how Triano comes back next year but, then again, I can't understand why Colangelo still has a job, so what do I know - Triano might end up back here.

Comment

Two words:

Ettore

Messina

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                  Sorry guys, Colangelo's history doesn't suggest he will hire an experienced, veteran head coach. You also have to consider how attractive (or unattractive) this job is given the current state of the team. My suspicion is it will be an assistant that is looking for a first head coaching role: Tyrone Corbin, Brian Shaw (if he doesn't get the Lakers gig and a good job doesn't open up), Bill Laimbeer, MIke Budenholzer (though SA assts. track record is mixed).

It also has to be someone who has the same philosophy as BC and a guy whose system the star players (whoever they are) will buy into. Personally, I don't see how Triano comes back next year but, then again, I can't understand why Colangelo still has a job, so what do I know - Triano might end up back here.
                  +1 for Bill Laimbeer. Dirty, tough, won't tolerate lax play from his team. Plus he coached a bunch of girls so he will know how to deal with Weems, Kleiza, etc..

Comment

TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
                    Yes, and that reason is named Jerry Colangelo.

I'm for Triano sticking around, its not his fault the team has a losing record, and I do think he has what it takes to be a head coach in the NBA. But to say Coach K, D'Antoni, or any other coach picked him for USA selects probably isn't accurate. You'd have to go higher-up into USA basketball to see who hired him - BC's dad.
                    I'm pretty sure Coach K picks his assistants

He's not goin anywhere. He's had no one who is really talented tocoach. He had Bosh, and they did good for a while there but he just hasn't had the right personel to do anything with

Comment

DonCarlos wrote: View Post
                      BC needs to acquire strong defenders, but there's also a need to acquire some players with decent handles. I'd even overpay for Jamal Crawford at this point if he was the missing piece.
                      Do you know Jamal Crawford is probably one of the worst defenders in the league?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        Do you know Jamal Crawford is probably one of the worst defenders in the league?
                        im pretty sure BC has him high on the list of players to try to recruit for next year.

hey he scores 20 pts takes horrible shots, plays no D, SIGN HIM UP !

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                          Two words:

Ettore

Messina

interesting...never hear of him till now what does he bring to the table ?

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            interesting...never hear of him till now what does he bring to the table ?
                            Multi-time EuroLeague Coach of the Year.
                            Italian National Team Coach.

Ya, that would go over REAL well.
                            Mauriizio would be through the roof though! haha

UPDATE: Though I did just recall he also coaches Real Madrid ie Ricky Rubio. Meh, still not interested.
                            Last edited by Joey; Mon Jan 31, 2011, 08:11 PM.

Comment

karim_nasir wrote: View Post
                              im pretty sure BC has him high on the list of players to try to recruit for next year.

hey he scores 20 pts takes horrible shots, plays no D, SIGN HIM UP !
                              Not what I would be looking for but to each their own.

I was attempting to highlight the fact you are advocating BC bringing in strong defenders in one sentence and in the next overpaying Jamal Crawford who is one of the worst defenders at guard in the league.

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                                Two words:

Ettore

Messina

I've been a Messina fan for a long time. Problem is, he's only coming over for a head coaching position, he wouldn't come over for an assistant position and it would be ideal for him to come over and learn the NBA game as it differs from FIBA ball.

I wouldn't mind David Blatt either.

For the time being, I'd keep Triano. This team's fortunes aren't suddenly gonna turn around with someone else at the helm. This team is very young and very raw. It needs a teacher as much as it needs a coach.

Comment

Working...
                                X