Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guns N' Egos: Arenas and Crittenton suspended for the season (UPDATE ON P.7)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think so. What he did was far less severe then killing and torturing animals. There will be no crowds gathering to protest about Arenas coming back. He brought some guns into the locker room, stupid. He did some horseplay with the guns, stupid. No one got hurt though and I think he won't do jail time. Look at all the chances guys like Zach Randolph and Ron Artest got. Guys with huge talent will get a second chance, maybe a third, maybe a fourth, etc. The only time they're usually black listed is when they're washed up. See Ron Francis and Stephon Marbury.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I don't think so. What he did was far less severe then killing and torturing animals. There will be no crowds gathering to protest about Arenas coming back. He brought some guns into the locker room, stupid. He did some horseplay with the guns, stupid. No one got hurt though and I think he won't do jail time. Look at all the chances guys like Zach Randolph and Ron Artest got. Guys with huge talent will get a second chance, maybe a third, maybe a fourth, etc. The only time they're usually black listed is when they're washed up. See Ron Francis and Stephon Marbury.
      Oh no question his actions, however stupid, were far less severe than Vicks were. My bad if I was unclear, I didn't mean to suggest that they were just as bad as Vicks. I just think in terms of him returning to the NBA the outcome will be similar. That is, that he will have a difficult time finding a team to take him on for anything less than way below value. I do think he will make a comeback, I just don't think there will be a lot of teams jumping for a chance to get at him. But I'm jumping the gun-the Wiz haven't even voided his contract yet. And you can bet that the players' assoc. will do whatever it can to make sure that doesn't happen.

Comment

If I were Brian Colangelo as soon as the dust settles I would be on the phone talking money. Arenas' talent and potential is through the roof.

Comment

Ken Berger: Wizards should not benefit from Arenas dilemma

If the three-time All-Star takes the most sensible option, a guilty plea is expected to happen quickly, probably as early as Friday.

In exchange for the guilty plea, prosecutors likely would recommend a sentence that does not include jail time. That ultimately will be up to the judge, one of several Arenas still has to face
          Those familiar with Stern's sour disposition toward this case, and with his apparent desire to make Arenas an example for why guns cannot be tolerated anywhere near NBA property, are predicting a suspension of between 20 games and the rest of the season. Arenas has missed three games so far.
          There is no disputing that Arenas violated league and team rules, possibly broke the law, and acted like a fool after the fact. But if that were the threshold for letting teams weasel out of bad contracts, half the contracts in the NBA wouldn't be worth the PDFs they're emblazoned upon.
          Whatever the length of Arenas' suspension, the Wizards cannot be allowed to double their fun by voiding Arenas' contract, which has more than $80 million remaining over the next four seasons.

"I don't think there's a grievance arbitrator in the country who would allow that," said a person familiar with the legalities of the CBA.

Nor should they. As a matter of law, if Latrell Sprewell couldn't be suspended and have his contract voided for choking P.J. Carlesimo, what possibly could be the justification in this case?
          CBS Sports

Comment

Gilbert Arenas and his former agent are discussing how to proceed if the Washington Wizards try to void the remaining $80 million on the suspended guard's contract, people familiar with the matter say. Mr. Arenas, who pleaded guilty to a felony gun charge, split with Dan Fegan in 2006 and currently has no agent. Mr. Fegan says he doesn't expect the Wizards to void the contract. The Wizards declined comment.
            The Wall Street Journal

Comment

Contrary to multiple reports and abundant speculation, the Washington Wizards have not considered voiding Gilbert Arenas' contract in the wake of his possession of four weapons on team property and subsequent federal investigation and felony conviction, a source with knowledge of the situation said.
              Mike Jones Sports

Comment

Arenas to know fate by the end of next week

Gilbert Arenas will know his fate -- at least in terms of how long he'll be suspended from the NBA -- by the end of next week, ESPN.com learned Friday.

Multiples sources said the wheels were already in motion for the Arenas case to take its next turn, although the question of whether the Wizards will subsequently attempt to void Arenas' contract may remain unanswered.

One source said Javaris Crittenton, the other player involved in the now infamous handgun incident in the Wizards locker room last month, will have closure in his case, too. Crittenton has been under investigation by authorities after he allegedly chambered a round in his handgun during the standoff with Arenas.

Definitive penalties for Arenas and Crittenton would then be announced by commissioner David Stern, possibly as early as Wednesday, one source indicated.

The developments came as Derek Fisher, president of the NBA players union, said he wants a number attached to Gilbert Arenas' suspension, saying a bad precedent would be set if Arenas' "indefinite" suspension remains indefinite much longer.

The NBA has concluded its own investigation of the incident, and a comprehensive report on the episode was expected to be submitted to Stern by the end of this week.
                ESPN.com

Comment

Crittenton charged

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Washington Wizards guard Javaris Crittenton has been charged with weapons violations in an apparent plea deal -- 10 days after teammate Gilbert Arenas pleaded guilty to a felony gun charge.

Crittenton was charged Monday with two misdemeanors -- possession of an unregistered firearm and attempted carrying a pistol without a license.
                  The charges were filed in D.C. Superior Court in a document called an "information," which generally signals a plea deal.
                  http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/25/c...s=iref:nbahpt2

Comment

this is ridic. how can they charge critt with dis crap? unblievable. he wasnt going to fire on anyone. he wouldnt just give up his money and his career just like that. ugggh.

Comment

He broke the law. Personal opinion takes a back seat to the facts.

Comment

Raffy15 wrote: View Post
                        this is ridic. how can they charge critt with dis crap? unblievable. he wasnt going to fire on anyone. he wouldnt just give up his money and his career just like that. ugggh.
                        He broke D.C. law's, so he was charged accordingly. Simple as that.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          He broke the law. Personal opinion takes a back seat to the facts.
                          see, thats where i got a problem. DCs gun laws are way too strict. its disgusting.

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
                          He broke D.C. law's, so he was charged accordingly. Simple as that.
                          its never as simple as it appears. BELIEVE THAT.

Comment

Again, you're basing everything on opinion. Its up to each citizen to know the rules of the state and country and follow them. If he isn't adult enough to handle that then he isn't adult enough to handle the responsibility that goes with having the privilege of playing in the NBA and being in the public eye. These guys are the hero's of children everywhere and its up to them to set a good example. On top of that, every time the league looks like its starting to distance itself from the bad reputation it has some yahoos go off and pull stunts like this. Laws are laws. People who disrespect them end up like Gil or worse. Opinions don't mean anything to those who are locked up.
                            Last edited by Apollo; Mon Jan 25, 2010, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Couldn't have said it better myself Apollo.

@ Raffy 15 What he said.

Comment

NBA to supend Arenas for rest of the season

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

NBA commissioner David Stern will not permit Gilbert Arenas(notes) to play again for the Washington Wizards this season, league sources told Yahoo! Sports Wednesday afternoon.

Stern had been considering two suspension scenarios for the former All-Star: the remainder of this season or a full 82-game ban that would extend into next season. League sources said Stern gave Arenas the chance to take the shorter suspension if he pledged not to appeal it.

The Washington Post reported that Arenas told Stern in their meeting on Wednesday that he would ask the union not to fight the suspension. The league and players union are drafting statements and are expected to make announcements about the suspension later Wednesday.

whoa don't mess with David Stern......

Comment

Working...
                                X