Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those suggesting the Raps get Perkins.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those suggesting the Raps get Perkins.....

"According to two league sources, Perkins has already turned down a Celtics offer that is bound by the CBA’s current restrictions — a contract extension worth slightly less than $30 million over four years, which reflects the currently mandated contract limits of a 20-percent increase and a four-year maximum. Perkins, represented by agent Arn Tellem, has opted to wait until he is an unrestricted free agent, when even in an unpredictable market he has a chance of commanding far more."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/b...stonHerald.com)

He turned down an average of $7.5M per season. The only way the Raps get him is a max or near max contract.

Wow, I'm shocked. Thought he was 'loyal'.

Comment

Kendrick Perkins is a good player but his body is suspect. He's got the potential to lose up to 15 games per season on his next contract. He's also very likely to stay in Boston and is merely playing hard to get in my opinion. I'd prefer to get Marc Gasol (if available). The way Randolph is playing, they may have to sign him and let Gasol walk away through a sign and trade (they also have Thabeet and may give him a chance next year). I'm just merely speculating but again, Gasol is a big body that rebounds, block shots and have a semblance of an offensive game. Just my opinion though.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Given our GM's fondness for international talent, I could definitely see the Raps giving serious consideration to Enes Kanter on draft day. I think I would prefer Toronto draft a PG or wing player, I have read that guy's knees are suspect.

Comment

Well I guess it depends what will define MAX once the CBA is finalized. I can absolutely see him getting $10-12M and being worth every penny. Dudes still pretty young and is one of the FEW true centers left.

Comment

I thought for sure he would take that money. But teams love to overpay C's so it might be a good idea.
            Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Would Perkins consider Toronto as a good move even if he was offered 2 mill a year more than anywhere else? How the Raps perform the rest of the year could be important if they want to be a place that's a decent destination for any FA.

Comment

* See Hedo Turkoglu.

Comment

webcrawler89 wrote: View Post
                  * See Hedo Turkoglu.
                  I don't quite understand, sorry.
                  Are you implying Perkins is similar to Hedo, or a situation will arise that is.
                  OR are you responding to the comment about Toronto being a desirable destination for FAs?

If the latter, than I agree to an extent. However, back then BC was in 'Build around a Star' mode. Which can be desirable to FAs.
                  Right now, unless Demar has an absolutely BLOWOUT second half of the season, there's no one player that can help bring people in.
                  Now if we can draft Irving/Jones with #1, they might be able to be that bait on the hook for FAs to be drawn to playing with.

However, Amare didn't really have much else besides the Alure of New York City to sign his contract; so perhaps Toronto could have the same 'Alure' ... though perhaps not.

Comment

Hypothetically he could be the "man" on the Raps. If he was looking for that mantle this would be the team. There is no one right now who can match his intensity and ferocity here. That said I dont think Boston will let him go without a fight.

Comment

you guys are seriously overrating this guy.He is definetly not worth 10-12 million per season.And MOST DEFINETLY he cant be the man on this team(or on any other team).I wouldnt give him 7.5 mil/season even if he wanted to come to toronto.

Comment

I don't think Boston would let him go either, but unless the big three retire, and doc rivers leaves, i don't see any reason for him to leave other than to get more money. And I'm not sure we want to get another player like that. I'm sure he has a decent work ethic, but we as an organization often seem to treat FA's like All-stars, and I don't think he's an All-star player.

Comment

core2man wrote: View Post
                          you guys are seriously overrating this guy.He is definetly not worth 10-12 million per season.And MOST DEFINETLY he cant be the man on this team(or on any other team).I wouldnt give him 7.5 mil/season even if he wanted to come to toronto.
                          +1. I like Perk a lot - he's kind of like the modern day Oakley without the jumpshot, but c'mon, he was nothing special before KG arrived in Beantown, and would be totally exposed playing beside Bargnani. Think about it, he played beside a good rebounding & scoring power forward (Al Jefferson) in 06-07, to go along with Pierce & Rondo and that was only a 24-win team.

It's the KG effect folks, just like when guys like Rasho, Oberto & Nazr get the good fortune to line-up beside Tim Duncan in SAS.

Comment

For 10 mil, I'd shell it out for Perkins. That kid is a beast. He brings toughness, defense, sandpaper and bigtime emotion/heart to this team. Unfortunately, it would mean getting rid of Bargnani, something Colangelo wouldn't do. I'd fully support a Perkins/Sullinger/DeRozan front court...or a Perkins/Davis/PJones front court.

Comment

I also like Perk a lot, and would LOVE to see some of his attitude and toughness reflected by this Raptors team. Bringing in an experienced player with a winning history is never a bad move either. But that's still a tough contract to justify unless you are a winning team looking to fill in the last couple of pieces... something that hardly describes Toronto's situation right now. It's also unclear to me how much of Perk's current success relies on the team around him. Putting him at C on the Raptors and hoping he could help make up for the defensive liabilities at other positions is a far cry from what he's asked to do on the Celtics.

Comment

Working...
                              X