Toronto-Memphis-Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto-Memphis-Minnesota

With rumours of Minnesota in the works for the Melo trade and giving up Brewer to do it, they no longer have a shooting guard.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=6yrf2wl

MEM: gets Webster and Barbosa, 1st round draft pick back from MIN
    MIN: gets Calderon and Mayo
    TOR: gets Flynn, Henry, and Thabeet

MEM actually saves money next year which is important to resign Gasol. They get much needed depth to their team on the bench (IF Barbosa is healthy).

MIN gets a 2 guard which they are already extremed short on and a solid PG for a young team.

TOR gets added financial flexibility and 3 young players. Henry would be the key for the Raptos imo.

I really dislike Flynn. But Henry and Thabeet are very interesting.

Comment

I thought that the MIN draft pick is going to the Knicks in return for Curry's expiring and Anthony Randolph.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
        I thought that the MIN draft pick is going to the Knicks in return for Curry's expiring and Anthony Randolph.
        Minnesota currently has two first round picks for 2011. They own the rights to both Utah's and Memphis' picks. The rumors for the three-way trade between Minnesota-New York-Denver simply says a First Round Pick (from what I have seen), so that could be Utah's. Which would then allow Minnesota to still complete a deal like this since they would still have the Memphis pick.

Personally I am not sure what to think of this trade. Henry would give some nice depth at SG behind DeMar, and the two could play together for short periods (longer if DeMar puts on some muscle and can alter his game a bit). Taking a flyer out on Flynn could be good, and it would put us in a position to either flip him or Bayless for another asset.

Thabeet would be an interesting pick-up. Having him would make the need for a big-man coach even more important.

All-in-all, I like it for the Raptors. It leaves some holes, but overall adds some talent.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Not a fan of Flynn or Thabeet and really leery of having 3 need-a-lot-of-work developing bigs on the roster at one time (Thabeet, Ajinca & Alabi). Cost is also an issue in regards to Thabeet. Losing Calderon and Barbosa at the same time is not my idea of a good time.

This is more of a blow-it-all-up kind of trade. Not sure the Raps need to do that given DeRozan, Davis and Johnson all look like solid building blocks. Also, Ajinca holds some promise (so the Raps should go down that road for a while) and if they can resign him for a decent price I think Wright also makes for a good building piece (plays competitive and has defensive chops).

If any team should be looking at something like this I think it would be Cleveland.

Henry is intriguing as JP says... could be worth a seperate deal. Weems could be a better off-the-bench scorer for Memphis and maybe a deal could be structured around those pieces. Thabeet could also be interesting but I would wait until he is a project that doesn't cost me much/anything.

Comment

I'm not a fan of Thabeet whatsoever. We got 2 kids on our roster who can do the same things _ Alabi and Ajinca.
            I'm not understanding why the Grizz deal Henry and Mayo and get Webster - that's a downgrade and selling low..and I can't see them making this deal to get Barbosa and their 1st back. Way too much talent going out and not enough coming in.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
              I'm not a fan of Thabeet whatsoever. We got 2 kids on our roster who can do the same things _ Alabi and Ajinca.
              I'm not understanding why the Grizz deal Henry and Mayo and get Webster - that's a downgrade and selling low..and I can't see them making this deal to get Barbosa and their 1st back. Way too much talent going out and not enough coming in.
              Yeah. The issue of Thabeet to the Raps is not one that is appealing but it was a move to clear cap space for MEM and get TOR 2 assets (especially Henry). You have to give a little to get a little.

I'm not sure that is a bad deal for MEM. THey have no one behind Gay at the 3 - hence Webster. Barbosa can offer some PG relief and scoring relief at the 1 and 2. They could then start a defensive minded player at the 2 with Allen. After Conley they have Vasquez at the 1. At this point I'm sure they'd be happy to get a mid first round pick to rid Thabeet and his contract. This move is made with the short term in mind. They could very well lose Randolph and Gasol this summer. This might be their last chance for the playoffs for a while.

Comment

Working...
              X