Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest Of Season Predictions (Feb 16- Finish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm all for getting the highest pick possible. The higher the pick the more leverage.

The only downfall is the guaranteed money is larger against the salary cap.

Finally, even with the worst record, there is a 75% chance Cleveland won't get the pick.

Comment

duncan wrote: View Post
      In most years, you're right. Apollo's point was that this year, the talent you can get at 3/4/5 is probably the same as what #1 will get you. I wouldn't focus on #1 so much anyways; the Cavs have got like a 5 game lead on us for the most ping-pong balls. (and if you're a conspiracy theorist, D Stern will rig it so that CLE for sure gets the top pick)
      I don't know why he would be more inclined to rig it for them than the Raptors. The Raptors are the bigger market and are the only international team. Stern wants a global product. They're obviously hurting in the standings almost as much. I don't believe in NBA draft conspiracies though. Most juicy conspiracies have juicy eye witnessed accounts or some sort of "evidence" that supports the theory but doesn't put the nails in the coffin. Draft conspiracy theories have none of that, only jaded fans looking to vent.

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I'm all for getting the highest pick possible. The higher the pick the more leverage.
      If you study 2006 as a case study you'll see that in a draft with no consensus #1, the #1 pick holder has little to no leverage at all. People offered Colangelo peanuts for the pick in 2006. He would have looked bad trading down and getting little in return. He had no choice but to keep it, take his guy and put up with the crap in papers for year about how his pick was a bust even though he clearly came out from day one and pretty much called the pick a project and said there was no true number one and that his hands were tied. I believe if Bargnani was selected 5th overall he would not be getting as much criticism tossed his way right now. Lots of prestige comes with going #1 and if the player isn't a true stud he's in for a rocky ride in the city the drafts him.

heinz57 wrote: View Post
      the #1 pick is totally worth it... you get the pick of the litter.. even if there are no guaranteed superstar, the ability to focus on a target without having to worry about a contingency plan is a good thing..
      Yeah, you get pick of the litter but what if the guy at the top of your board can be had at #3 and you know he's going to take years to develop and you know that you're going to look bad by trading down for him and getting peanuts in return? Double edged sword. Look bad on draft day or look bad on opening night. Either way you're taking heat.
      Last edited by Apollo; Thu Feb 10, 2011, 04:22 PM.

Comment

if draft conspiracies were real, boston woulda got greg oden.... oh how that woulda been a comical era in celtics history

Comment

Very good analysis, however even the worst case scenario of 7-20 sounds a little too optimistic. I would say it all depends whether Bobcats, Pacers, Pistons, Bucks, 76ers are still trying to make the playoffs when they play the Raptors. If that`s the case, a record of 5-22 should secure 2nd worst overall (sorry guys but Cavs are unstoppable, no one can come even close to their record). I only wish we can beat the Heat 2 times. On a good shooting night, with no pressure, anything is possible – it wouldn't surprise me if we get a win or two against the top teams.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
            I don't know why he would be more inclined to rig it for them than the Raptors. The Raptors are the bigger market and are the only international team. Stern wants a global product. They're obviously hurting in the standings almost as much. I don't believe in NBA draft conspiracies though. Most juicy conspiracies have juicy eye witnessed accounts or some sort of "evidence" that supports the theory but doesn't put the nails in the coffin. Draft conspiracy theories have none of that, only jaded fans looking to vent.

I don't actually believe in Con. Theories, just putting it out there as a joke. But, if Stern 'could' rig the draft in favor of CLE over TOR, it would be because:
            They lost The Best Player In The League, we just lost the guy who has a crush on him.
            We ARE the bigger/stronger market, hence we have the ability to bounce back quicker with less franchise instability.
            We have the better/more proactive front office, and already have some quality pieces in place on the roster, they don't.

Comment

The Raptors fan base can't sign the free agents or make the draft choices. Not sure how they're poised to bounce back faster because of the bigger market. Maybe financially but not in terms of the on court product.

Comment

Reckon, 8-19, will lose to a couple bellow .500 teams but take a couple wins from above .500 teams. Bargnani will finish averaging 22 points and willl have one more 40 point game before seasone ends. I also believe Derozan will win the dunk comp, he will come out and surprise everyone with something very creative (if he attempts ANY of the dunks that the pro-dunker tried to teach him in his 'dunk comp invitation' he will win the crowd over with ease, definately a finalist regardless. Jose will end season (if not traded) with 11ppg and 9.5 apg.

HOPEFULLY

Comment

I say they win about 7 more games, finish with the 2nd worst record (no one's going to be worse than Cleveland) and somehow win the lottery and get the #1 pick. Sure hope they go after Kyrie Irving of Duke (hopefully, he comes out for the draft). I think Irving is probably the closest thing to a potential franchise player in the draft. He'd be dynamite with DeRozan, Davis, Bargs, etc. I know many people consider this to be a weak draft but the same was said in 2006 and 2009. The 2006 draft saw some good players come into the league: Aldridge, Roy, Gay, Rondo, Bargnani etc. The 2009 draft also saw some nice players come in: Griffin, Evans, Curry, DeRozan etc. So, maybe the 2011 draft will make some nice surprises too.

Comment

Working...
                  X