Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Open Letter to Erik Koren (I'll post his reply if there is one)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Open Letter to Erik Koren (I'll post his reply if there is one)

Hi Eric,

Play along with me here: let's assume, for the sake of argument, that I just won the following contest: the winning Raptor fan gets to ask Jay Triano one question, via a National Post reporter (that would be you, by the way). So here's my question (feel free to change the language to personalize it, so Jay won't suspect you're "channelling" me):

Jay, you often state that offence isn't the problem on this team, that, rather, it's defence that's your overriding concern. Given that your team is at or near the bottom of every defensive category imaginable, your concern makes sense. You have also stated that your players need to be held accountable, especially on the defensive end. So why does your best defensive player (by far), in the person of Julian Wright, continue to languish on the bench? Did he sleep with your wife? Did he double-dip his tortilla chip during one of the team dinners? I mean, there HAS to be a logical explanation. Take last night's game, for example. Money Weems (oh please...) gets picked by Blair at the foul line. So instead of switching onto Blair, Weems simply turns around, and...and...well, he watches. And stands. He stands and watches. As Blair rolls to the hoop, gets the pass and lays it in like a graceful hippo or something. But here's the punch line: all this happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, Jay. And this was right after he had hoisted up two horrible shots from just inside the three point line, early in the shot clock, because, well, he was open, so why not shoot. So why, given all of that, given the fact that Weems was playing uninspired ball at both ends of the court, and with the Raptors up late in the second half, did you not insert Wright into the game to protect the lead? Why TALK about defence but not play your best defensive player? Oh sure, I know what you're gonna say, Jay. You DID play Wright. Point taken. But Jay, eight seconds of action just before the first half expires isn't quite enough.

Eric, please let me know what Jay says in response.

Lee.

Dude, I support you, if at the end you put:

"PS- why do you talk that way?"

Comment

that was more than one question.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Here's Eric's response:
        I hear you. I might have to find a different way to word it, though. Tone down the...creativity.

Thanks for writing,
        eric

Comment

LeeZ wrote: View Post
          Hi Eric,

Play along with me here: let's assume, for the sake of argument, that I just won the following contest: the winning Raptor fan gets to ask Jay Triano one question, via a National Post reporter (that would be you, by the way). So here's my question (feel free to change the language to personalize it, so Jay won't suspect you're "channelling" me):

Jay, you often state that offence isn't the problem on this team, that, rather, it's defence that's your overriding concern. Given that your team is at or near the bottom of every defensive category imaginable, your concern makes sense. You have also stated that your players need to be held accountable, especially on the defensive end. So why does your best defensive player (by far), in the person of Julian Wright, continue to languish on the bench? Did he sleep with your wife? Did he double-dip his tortilla chip during one of the team dinners? I mean, there HAS to be a logical explanation. Take last night's game, for example. Money Weems (oh please...) gets picked by Blair at the foul line. So instead of switching onto Blair, Weems simply turns around, and...and...well, he watches. And stands. He stands and watches. As Blair rolls to the hoop, gets the pass and lays it in like a graceful hippo or something. But here's the punch line: all this happened RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU, Jay. And this was right after he had hoisted up two horrible shots from just inside the three point line, early in the shot clock, because, well, he was open, so why not shoot. So why, given all of that, given the fact that Weems was playing uninspired ball at both ends of the court, and with the Raptors up late in the second half, did you not insert Wright into the game to protect the lead? Why TALK about defence but not play your best defensive player? Oh sure, I know what you're gonna say, Jay. You DID play Wright. Point taken. But Jay, eight seconds of action just before the first half expires isn't quite enough.

Eric, please let me know what Jay says in response.

Lee.
          Jay have forgotten that he is a head coach and not an assistance. This team needs a real head coach. Demar or Andrea are not Franchise players. They are decent role players. For Christ sake Callangelo, please give Golden state what they want and get Monta Ellis. Give them the entire team except for Ed Davis, Julian Wright and Amare Johnson.

Comment

Ranly wrote: View Post
            Jay have forgotten that he is a head coach and not an assistance. This team needs a real head coach. Demar or Andrea are not Franchise players. They are decent role players. For Christ sake Callangelo, please give Golden state what they want and get Monta Ellis. Give them the entire team except for Ed Davis, Julian Wright and Amare Johnson.
            Callangelo? Amare Johnson? We talking about the same team? haha

Though I would like to have Monta on the team, besides his steals, he doesn't bring much to the table on defense.
            I also disagree that Demar and Andrea are 'decent role players'. They are legit Starters in the league and proven as much.

Comment

Amare Johnson. LOL good one.

I didn't watch the game but I agree. He does this way to many times. He seems to not know when to put the right guys in. A constant problem I see is the third quarter. They always seem to lose the third quarter why? We have our bench players in, and the other team has a few of their starters in. Yeah, not really part of this topic but still a problem.

Personally, I would like to see more Julian, not just for defence, and more Ed. These guys are really underrated.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                Callangelo? Amare Johnson? We talking about the same team? haha

Though I would like to have Monta on the team, besides his steals, he doesn't bring much to the table on defense.
                I also disagree that Demar and Andrea are 'decent role players'. They are legit Starters in the league and proven as much.
                Phonetics dear chap...phonetics. The rain in Spain.........

Comment

Julian does it to himself. He works hard but he's like Reggie. Can't shoot and can't dribble. At SF that creates a problem.

I like his court vision and I like his defense but he doesn't consistently provide a spark for the team. You might argue that we've seen him be a spark but I believe those games were all part of our 13 game losing streak, so did it really help?

I don't know what the asnwer is for this team but I like that we're going to be in a good draft spot. We need good young talent.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    Phonetics dear chap...phonetics. The rain in Spain.........
                    somebody needs the phonics monkey

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                      Julian does it to himself. He works hard but he's like Reggie. Can't shoot and can't dribble. At SF that creates a problem.

I like his court vision and I like his defense but he doesn't consistently provide a spark for the team. You might argue that we've seen him be a spark but I believe those games were all part of our 13 game losing streak, so did it really help?

I don't know what the asnwer is for this team but I like that we're going to be in a good draft spot. We need good young talent.
                      When 3 of our 5 starters are offensive minded and don't play much defense (Jose, DeRo & Bargs), I don't think it would be a problem to put our best wing defender in as a starter at the 3. We don't need him to shoot or even dribble, we just need him to play the great defense that he plays and make the excellent passes that he makes, nothing else.

As for him being a spark but still losing 13 games in a row, that's probably because he plays like 15 mins a game and none during crunch time. Instead, Triano likes to close out games with people like Sonny Weems and a cold Bargs.

If it were up to me, Wright would have been a starter from day one, with Weems taking his rightful place next to Solo Alabi at the end of the bench.

Comment

Joe Buddy wrote: View Post
                        When 3 of our 5 starters are offensive minded and don't play much defense (Jose, DeRo & Bargs), I don't think it would be a problem to put our best wing defender in as a starter at the 3. We don't need him to shoot or even dribble, we just need him to play the great defense that he plays and make the excellent passes that he makes, nothing else.

As for him being a spark but still losing 13 games in a row, that's probably because he plays like 15 mins a game and none during crunch time. Instead, Triano likes to close out games with people like Sonny Weems and a cold Bargs.

If it were up to me, Wright would have been a starter from day one, with Weems taking his rightful place next to Solo Alabi at the end of the bench.
                        I was going to refute the points raised by albertan_10, but you took the words right out of my mouth and saved me the trouble

Comment

Working...
                        X