Ettore Messina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ettore Messina

Gotta ask, do you think we should take a run at Messina for coach? You know that BC loves his "new NBA coaches", but Messina is a different pedigree. Plus, he has experience dealing with "stars" and preaches some tough defense.

Messina would be a great fit and Toronto, and his international experience is huge.

Imagine Messina with PJ as an assistant? Would be pretty sweet.

What do you guys think?

The year Sam got fired his name was tossed around but nothing ever came of it. I think he wasn't interested in coming over here yet.

Comment

I do not know much about this guy but if he is a defensive coach then at the very least he should be interviewed for the job.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
        I do not know much about this guy but if he is a defensive coach then at the very least he should be interviewed for the job.
        He is coaching Real Madrid, but has tonnes of int'l experience and eurobasket rings. He is kind of the "godfather" of euro coaches.

Comment

D'Antoni was over there for a long time before heading back stateside.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
            Thats like saying hiring a flying coach will get Pigs airborne. hahah
            We could bring in Larry Brown and it wouldn't do anything but piss him off.

Comment

Kevin O'Neil turned a defensively challenged club into a strong defensive club by the end of a training camp. It can be done... Of course Kevin O'Neal was also a lunatic when things didn't go his way and he didn't have a clue about offense... Still, we shouldn't underestimate coaching.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Kevin O'Neil turned a defensively challenged club into a strong defensive club by the end of a training camp. It can be done... Of course Kevin O'Neal was also a lunatic when things didn't go his way and he didn't have a clue about offense... Still, we shouldn't underestimate coaching.
                What about Iavaroni though? That was supposed to usher in a whole new era of Defensive Raps combined with Hustle and Flow Raps.
                Now obviously he's not on the level of say a Tom Thibedeau or Larry Brown, but we actually GOT WORSE on defense by bringing in a defensive minded assistant to have Jay's ear. I just don't see tooo many of these guys playing OUTSTANDING defense. Whether the coach says to or not. I think we could make certain tweaks that would make us marginally better, but at this point even that won't make us even average.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  What about Iavaroni though? That was supposed to usher in a whole new era of Defensive Raps combined with Hustle and Flow Raps.
                  Now obviously he's not on the level of say a Tom Thibedeau or Larry Brown, but we actually GOT WORSE on defense by bringing in a defensive minded assistant to have Jay's ear. I just don't see tooo many of these guys playing OUTSTANDING defense. Whether the coach says to or not. I think we could make certain tweaks that would make us marginally better, but at this point even that won't make us even average.
                  That title was a misnomer. Look at Iavoroni's past teams , ie, Memphis, their defense was as porous as ours. That's like buying a Hyundai accent and saying "hey look at my sweet sports car"

Comment

Multipaul wrote: View Post
                    That title was a misnomer. Look at Iavoroni's past teams , ie, Memphis, their defense was as porous as ours. That's like buying a Hyundai accent and saying "hey look at my sweet sports car"
                    So what you're saying is that MLSE is the Dealership, BC is Sketchy Car Salesman, and they been selling us a sh*t box while telling us its a Porsche!?? Bastards! hahah

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Iavaroni was just an assistant and you have to consider the possibility that he's overrated. Kevin O'Neil is a defensive genius, old school, blue collar type guy. The Raptors hired him to shake things up after passive Lenny was kicked out. He worked wonders with a team worse than this
                      one but the guy had two problems. First he had a temper and second he didn't know what the word diplomacy meant. Kevin O'Neil is in on a different level than Iavaroni.
                      Last edited by Apollo; Thu Feb 10, 2011, 07:42 PM.

Comment

one of my concerns with a guy who is international is that most of the euros on this team can't play defense so will he follow jay mentality and still play these guys when they need to be sitting.

Comment

Nope. A proven coach that knows ball in this continent is preferable. This will be another Triano international experience BS. They need a coach that can communicate and keep people accountable. We all know that Triano's here for now to continue to babysit Andrea. This coaching situation is embarassing. I find that the other members of this team is smelling the nepotism themselves. Ugh.
                          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Are they putting something in the water in America? He's touted as one of the best coaches in the world. Who gives damn where he's from as long as he speaks fluent English and delivers on his legendary name? Jay does not have the reputation Messina has. There was quite some buzz a few years back when he was considering the NBA.

Comment

If you are bringing a coach from Europe, try to get the best one: Zeljko Obradovic, currently with Panathinaikos Athens. Messina is a good coach, but Obradovic is a living legend. He won 7 European Championships with 4 different teams, which is unheard of. The first one was in 1992 with Partizan Belgrade when he was only 32 years old, without any foreign players, probably the biggest upset in the history of the competition. He also coached Yugoslav national team to gold in European and World championships, and silver in the Olympics. He is phenomenal in the development of young players, great decision maker, and holds players very accountable, even when they are superstars. He was also a solid player (point guard), won silver with Yugoslavia in Seul olympics and gold at world championship in Argentina 1990 (Kukoc was MVP). He won everything there is, if he's willing to take a new challenge in the NBA, he will be successful for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X