No announcement yet.

Ettore Messina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well with a article like that in the SUN I am almost positive jay will not be coming back.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
      Before the Raptors faithful get all bent out of shape declaring the suddenly available Ettore Messina as a viable option should the team not elect to bring head coach Jay Triano back next year, consider the following:

Messina is without question a great coach, a great tactician and has more than proven himself in Europe.

His credentials speak for themselves.

And while his shocking decision to quit Real Madrid on Friday certainly raises eyebrows throughout the sport regardless of the continent, it would require the perfect set of circumstances for a man as exacting and demanding as Messina to come into the NBA and have the kind of success he had in Europe.Messina’s my-way-or-the-highway approach that has worked so well for him in Europe would be a very hard sell in the NBA.

Few outside of Jerry Sloan, formerly of Utah, and Gregg Popovich, of San Antonio, have been able to run a team in the NBA with that kind of approach. With many of today’s NBA millionaires calling the shots, unless there is someone at the top of the food chain like a Tim Duncan or Karl Malone or even John Stockton to set the tone for the rest, it’s almost a recipe for disaster.

Not saying it can’t happen. Just saying it would be very, very hard to do.

Source
      And yet the Nets are offering him an ASSISTANT COACHING position. Maybe he can get tips from Smitch.

Comment

If the Nets are offering him an assistant gig and with my Russian owner making final decisions, if I am Avery and Sam I am looking over my shoulder.

Messina was Prokhorov's coach when he owned CSKA Moscow.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
          And yet the Nets are offering him an ASSISTANT COACHING position. Maybe he can get tips from Smitch.
          I am sure he will take a head coaching job before he takes that assistant job.

Comment

He left Real Madrid because his Euro players ain't responding. How's that going to translate in this continent? My way or the highway really doesn't work anymore.
            “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              If the Nets are offering him an assistant gig and with my Russian owner making final decisions, if I am Avery and Sam I am looking over my shoulder.

Messina was Prokhorov's coach when he owned CSKA Moscow.
              That's interesting. Didn't know that and it would get them looking over their shoulder.

Comment

Ettore Messina on a potential NBA future: "It's almost impossible to go to the NBA. Honestly, it's not one of my goals. And the reason is easy - because it's something I can't control. I see it so far away for an European coach that I haven't thought about it seriously. I don't think there will soon be an opportunity so big for an European coach because those two worlds are very different."
                http://iradio.ucam.edu/vuelo-23-con-...-messina/2591/

The link is not english so there could be something lost in translation.

Comment

Working...
                X