No announcement yet.

The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now that Ohtani and Stanton are off the market the intrepid Shatkins robot was seen shopping at Dollarama for a Corner Outfielder and a middle of the rotation SP. Hard to watch these two small timers shy away from running with the big dogs.

Staying competitive shouldn’t be a problem.... insert fan rolling his eyes knowing the Jays are screwewd till 2020-21....... Be prepared to hear a lot more about the bright future of the Jays as they struggle over the next couple three years.
    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Dec 10, 2017, 01:41 PM.
    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
    - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
      Now that Ohtani and Stanton are off the market the intrepid Shatkins robot was seen shopping at Dollarama for a Corner Outfielder and a middle of the rotation SP. Hard to watch these two small timers shy away from running with the big dogs.

Staying competitive shouldn’t be a problem.... insert fan rolling his eyes knowing the Jays are screwewd till 2020-21....... Be prepared to hear a lot more about the bright future of the Jays as they struggle over the next couple three years.
      This is mostly BS. Shatkins spends what the owners allow them to spend. The real question is will they spend the Dollarama money Rogers gives them on true value like they did 2 years ago, or on overpriced useless Morales crap like last year.

Of course the Jays are screwed. Their owner won't OK a tank because of their precious ratings and won't spend with the big boys.

Edit: Yeah changed total to mostly because you're right - they will struggle no matter who's in charge og baseball ops.
      Last edited by 3inthekeon; Sun Dec 10, 2017, 02:23 PM.
      If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        This is mostly BS. Shatkins spends what the owners allow them to spend. The real question is will they spend the Dollarama money Rogers gives them on true value like they did 2 years ago, or on overpriced useless Morales crap like last year.

Of course the Jays are screwed. Their owner won't OK a tank because of their precious ratings and won't spend with the big boys.

Edit: Yeah changed total to mostly because you're right - they will struggle no matter who's in charge og baseball ops.
        Well I’m glad you took the time to say mostly..

I still am on the line of thinking that there is no BS in where I am going.
        There is just something about Shatkins that’s a little off..like eating mussels at the buffet in the islands..just not sure. Those guys garner no love for anything they do. They whacked marketing staff fat the end of this season for reasons only they know. They are losing guys out of the front office who are leaving the org to re up with Anthopolous. Love to know the story on why the scouting guy welshed on his deal to go to Atlanta last week. There were stories they were writing pieces and paying SunMedia to publish them. How true that is is anyone’s guess but it made the rounds. You really have to work hard to get that kind of mis or distrust within your organization.

They have 18m of carry over budget money to get a corner OF....A guy who can field the position and hit for average..like .275...
        They seem to forever be in on someone but not really.

They really could use an end of the rotation starter for some depth ...but either balked at Chatwoods ability ..fair your call on that...or just talked it up.

Rogers is a lot of things but they are not meddlers in BBallOps.. Shatkins has a budget and the ability to petition for more with a business case. I just have my gut feeling these two guys are saying they want to compete but have no intention of doing so..

Winter swap meet starts soon..Let’s see if these two rodents venture out of their hole to try and snag a competent OF or just wait it out till 2020-21.

No one is going to shed a tear when these guys eventually leave town.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sun Dec 10, 2017, 09:23 PM.
        - TGO

Comment

Well I’m glad you took the time to say mostly..

I still am on the line of thinking that there is no BS in where I am going.
          There is just something about Shatkins that’s a little off..like eating mussels at the buffet in the islands..just not sure. Those guys garner no love for anything they do. They whacked marketing staff fat the end of this season for reasons only they know. They are losing guys out of the front office who are leaving the org to re up with Anthopolous. Love to know the story on why the scouting guy welshed on his deal to go to Atlanta last week. There were stories they were writing pieces and paying SunMedia to publish them. How true that is is anyone’s guess but it made the rounds. You really have to work hard to get that kind of mis or distrust within your organization.

They have 18m of carry over budget money to get a corner OF....A guy who can field the position and hit for average..like .275...
          They seem to forever be in on someone but not really.

They really could use an end of the rotation starter for some depth ...but either balked at Chatwoods ability ..fair your call on that...or just talked it up.

Rogers is a lot of things but they are not meddlers in BBallOps.. Shatkins has a budget and the ability to petition for more with a business case. I just have my gut feeling these two guys are saying they want to compete but have no intention of doing so..

Winter swap meet starts soon..Let’s see if these two rodents venture out of their hole to try and snag a competent OF or just wait it out till 2020-21.

No one is going to shed a tear when these guys eventually leave town.
          So what are you saying about Chatwood? They liked him, OK. I liked him, a lot of teams liked him. But 3/38 for a guy with 2 TJ's already and not much success? No one sane projected that kind of money. You think Shatkins should have tried to outbid the Cubs? I don't.

I love your perceived idea of bidding for more budget. Like AA did when he had to pass his hat around to the players to get funds in a bid to sign Ervin Santana? Rogers has even less incentive to open the vaults now, because as you pointed out in your 1st post, we're fucked no matter what being in a division with the Yanks and Red Sox, at least for the next few years.
          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Ugh
            3inthekeon wrote: View Post
            So what are you saying about Chatwood? They liked him, OK. I liked him, a lot of teams liked him. But 3/38 for a guy with 2 TJ's already and not much success? No one sane projected that kind of money. You think Shatkins should have tried to outbid the Cubs? I don't.

I love your perceived idea of bidding for more budget. Like AA did when he had to pass his hat around to the players to get funds in a bid to sign Ervin Santana? Rogers has even less incentive to open the vaults now, because as you pointed out in your 1st post, we're fucked no matter what being in a division with the Yanks and Red Sox, at least for the next few years.
            Re chatwood..that’s what pitching costs on the open market...the jays don’t have any arms in the system right now so they either buy one or keep bringing up “guys” who aren’t ready or will never be ready...it’s not going to get cheaper.

It’s a business as we always hear...at stake is the 3m plus gate which could go down by a third and the sportsnet advertising revenue would take a hit as well if the robots who say they want to contend but instead pull the chute. Baseball likely makes some money for Rogers..If a business case shows you can show a profit in excess of the asked for expense..you’ll get it.

I’m a fan and have no influence on what or how Rogers and Shatkins do with the ball team...but if they stink bad because they don’t at least try to plug some gaping holes to try to remain competitive I can keep my money in my jeans for the 10 odd games I go to a year....

I won’t be the only one who chooses not to go either...Nothing more depressing than the sky dome with 13,000 people in it.
            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Dec 11, 2017, 12:54 AM.
            - TGO

Comment

Ugh

Re chatwood..that’s what pitching costs on the open market...the jays don’t have any arms in the system right now so they either buy one or keep bringing up “guys” who aren’t ready or will never be ready...it’s not going to get cheaper.

It’s a business as we always hear...at stake is the 3m plus gate which could go down by a third and the sportsnet advertising revenue would take a hit as well if the robots who say they want to contend but instead pull the chute. Baseball likely makes some money for Rogers..If a business case shows you can show a profit in excess of the asked for expense..you’ll get it.

I’m a fan and have no influence on what or how Rogers and Shatkins do with the ball team...but if they stink bad because they don’t at least try to plug some gaping holes to try to remain competitive I can keep my money in my jeans for the 10 odd games I go to a year....

I won’t be the only one who chooses not to go either...Nothing more depressing than the sky dome with 13,000 people in it.
              Re Chatwood. That's what one pitcher was valued by one team. There will be some pitchers that will cost more and some will cost less. Cubs just valued him more than all other teams. When the Jays signed Morales last year, was it an overpay or "that's what hitting is worth on the open market"? I would say the former.

Comment

Re Chatwood. That's what one pitcher was valued by one team. There will be some pitchers that will cost more and some will cost less. Cubs just valued him more than all other teams. When the Jays signed Morales last year, was it an overpay or "that's what hitting is worth on the open market"? I would say the former.
                The latter for me.... but the market really swings from year to year...and your right..value is in the eye of the beholder.

I think Edwin thought he was going to get as much as 5/125....and at worst 4/80...He got 3/65...
                I am pretty sure the other power bat Mark Trumbo got 3/40

No one saw that coming.

So Morales deal at 3/35 is in the range ..his deal might have even set the new market range for big power but limited fielding and base running speed.

Jays are in the dreaded middle ground...They have a serious talent in Donaldson and two first rate SP in stroman and Sanchez.They also have an aging star catcher and star SS that are not going to get better. It’s not enough ..they need more in the OF and more pitching depth while they wait for the two kids who look really good in Guerrero and Bichette to get to the bigs. Just would like Shatkins robot to make them watchable to competitive while they wait for the kids and continue their plans to make the farm system deep as they continue to draft. They have 20-30m to do that...if 10 more keeps the gate up either spend it..or put up the for sale sign on Donaldson and stop the talk that your going to remain competitive this year.

And yeah..the goddamn Yankees look really really good for the coming years...
                Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Dec 11, 2017, 10:35 AM.
                - TGO

Comment

The latter for me.... but the market really swings from year to year...and your right..value is in the eye of the beholder.

I think Edwin thought he was going to get as much as 5/125....and at worst 4/80...He got 3/65...
                  I am pretty sure the other power bat Mark Trumbo got 3/40

No one saw that coming.

So Morales deal at 3/35 is in the range ..his deal might have even set the new market range for big power but limited fielding and base running speed.

Jays are in the dreaded middle ground...They have a serious talent in Donaldson and two first rate SP in stroman and Sanchez.They also have an aging star catcher and star SS that are not going to get better. It’s not enough ..they need more in the OF and more pitching depth while they wait for the two kids who look really good in Guerrero and Bichette to get to the bigs. Just would like Shatkins robot to make them watchable to competitive while they wait for the kids and continue their plans to make the farm system deep as they continue to draft. They have 20-30m to do that...if 10 more keeps the gate up either spend it..or put up the for sale sign on Donaldson and stop the talk that your going to remain competitive this year.

And yeah..the Yankees look really really good for the coming years...
                  Stro is awesome, JD is great, but is at the age injuries start becoming more of a factor. Sanchez is ???. Never did overcome his blister issues last year. Tulo used to be a star. He was worth replacement level last year, even when healthy.

Anyway, let's see how the offseason plays out. At least they plugged one hole during the season with the Estrada deal, and replacing Goins with Diaz is a good upside move.

Comment

Stro is awesome, JD is great, but is at the age injuries start becoming more of a factor. Sanchez is ???. Never did overcome his blister issues last year. Tulo used to be a star. He was worth replacement level last year, even when healthy.

Anyway, let's see how the offseason plays out. At least they plugged one hole during the season with the Estrada deal, and replacing Goins with Diaz is a good upside move.
                    Was hoping they could sign Ian Kinsler to leadoff and play second base this year via trade...pick up a Chatwood or a Chatwood clone and find an OF with a glove and some speed ...pretty sure they won’t pay J.D. Martinez what it will take to get a 30 year old bat who won’t hurt you in RF with his glove in his prime..
                    Last edited by Demographic Shift; Mon Dec 11, 2017, 10:50 AM.
                    - TGO

Comment

• OT: It appears the bluejays/d/o/t/c/o/m site is dead for the comment sections on every thread. I thought it might be the same issue as we had here but apparently it's an MLB not Jays issue.

Forget Chatwood, the starter we need here is Cobb from Tampa Bay. He's young for a FA, better than .500 with their pop gun offense and better, proven in the ALE which is always a question mark when you bring in an outsider. I hope he'll be cheaper and we need him not only for a #5 starter but insurance in case Sanchez has continued blister issues or Happ or Estrada craps the bed.

In any event, the Yankers and Red S_ux wold both have to massively under perform for the Jays to win the Division or even have a shot at the WC. At this point, you're just hoping that they're competitive

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        OT: It appears the bluejays/d/o/t/c/o/m site is dead for the comment sections on every thread. I thought it might be the same issue as we had here but apparently it's an MLB not Jays issue.

Forget Chatwood, the starter we need here is Cobb from Tampa Bay. He's young for a FA, better than .500 with their pop gun offense and better, proven in the ALE which is always a question mark when you bring in an outsider. I hope he'll be cheaper and we need him not only for a #5 starter but insurance in case Sanchez has continued blister issues or Happ or Estrada craps the bed.

In any event, the Yankers and Red S_ux wold both have to massively under perform for the Jays to win the Division or even have a shot at the WC. At this point, you're just hoping that they're competitive
                        Well going in you have to like the Astros...Indians and one of the Yanks/RedSox to take the division and a first WC...After that...it’s maybe open..you have Twinkie’s, Mariners, Texas and if we get someone who can play the OF with a glove and a bit of speed and a SP you have a shot for that one game winner take all WC game....
                        There are so many variables in baseball that if you can get there you have a shot to get to the ALCS...3 guys get hot...the other teams pitching goes wonk...a crucial out or safe call goes your way...ya never know.
                        Think Donaldson has one more MVP kinda year in him...Smoak may not be a one year wonder....Sanchez , Happ and Stroman have good years...but they need some help in the OF to shut off fly balls falling in for doubles..it’s a killer.
                        They can take a chance on Teoscar in left but need a sure thing in right....It will cost money. Hoping the two robots get a player to give it one last run before this version of the Jays just gets to old.

Cobb has had a couple of good starts against the Jays... quality costs and players get signed for what is always called excessive money.... but you can always trade a SP if the season goes south.....
                        - TGO

Comment

Was hoping they could sign Ian Kinsler to leadoff and play second base this year via trade...pick up a Chatwood or a Chatwood clone and find an OF with a glove and some speed ...pretty sure they won’t pay J.D. Martinez what it will take to get a 30 year old bat who won’t hurt you in RF with his glove in his prime..
                          J.D. is the best bat on the market. He will hurt you in RF with his glove - every Jays OF last year had a better UZR/150 than Martinez. And Martinez glove was even worse in 2016.

Comment

J.D. is the best bat on the market. He will hurt you in RF with his glove - every Jays OF last year had a better UZR/150 than Martinez. And Martinez glove was even worse in 2016.
                            I like baseball ..it was I wanted to be when I grew up ..that or a cowboy...but I had to look up what UZN/150 was.

Stats are what stats are but after watching a two week stint of Steve Pearce, Zeke Carrera and them some guy named Smith Jr play in left field statistics be damned...no one could hurt you more than those guys did.

Cans of corn fly balls fell in for doubles...Cut off men were missed....It cost them games .

Anyway Shatkins backed off the Miami fire sale on Ozuna who is young enough to be around when Bichette and Vald 2.0 get here and he is in St.Louis. The other guy is on the catwalk now and I am sure they are in on him as well until the first bid.

The Jays beat guys are saying they want another utility infielder more than a SP and outfield help. I am a fan and they are the stewards...but man o man Shatkins just seems to be a gutless piker. Few more days at the Swan and Dolphin to go. Hope they improve the team in a bigger way than a backup infielder.

Edit...Kinsler traded for a Minor Leaguer who projects to a bench player and another prospect deep down the Cards prospect hierarchy who has a good fastball. They were 20 and 24th per some reports .Not a particularly high price for a durable everyday 2nd baseman.
                            Last edited by Demographic Shift; Thu Dec 14, 2017, 03:45 PM.
                            - TGO

Comment

• A lot of names being bandied about with regard to the Jays... these clowns better do something to try to improve the team for this season or you might as well have a fire sale.

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
                                A lot of names being bandied about with regard to the Jays... these clowns better do something to try to improve the team for this season or you might as well have a fire sale.
                                41 days from today till pitchers and catchers report to Dunedin....and the robot shatkins to date has secured a backup utility infielder who was hurt most of last year....

Still waiting on a Corner OF and a starting pitcher that will allow the Jays to contend per the Shatbot...

not feeling it....
                                - TGO

Comment

Working...
                                X