The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Did Kershaw have a great season? Absolutely. He was rewarded with the Cy Young award. He did garner some MVP votes as well. But really, the Dodgers were not a playoff team, far from it. Take Braun off the Brewers and I don't think Milwaukee gets as far as they do. Who was more valuable to the Tigers in the season they just had - Verlander or Miggy? Bautista had another great season, but Toronto wasn't close to securing a playoff spot.
    Exactly, thanks for reiterating my point. BBWA is obviously biased in favour of playoff teams.

Where would the Dodgers be without Kershaw? No where, that's for sure. The argument still stands.

The numbers that the candidates that you listed had great seasons, but take Verlander off that Tigers team and there's no way the Tigers would have gone as far as they did.
    Grienke in 2009 - he was on a poor Royals team. Hence why he didn't garner as much MVP votes. But you take Mauer off of that Twins team and they don't make it to the playoffs.
    Ok, let's see. If we replaced Verlander with a replacement level player, would they still make the playoffs? The net effect is ~ -9 wins.
    So yes, they just need 81 wins in their joke of a division.

Of course, they'd still lose in the postseason so really, replacing Verlander doesn't really change anything.
    Last edited by Prime; Wed Dec 21, 2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• If you wanna play that game, you go right ahead and do that, friend. You know exactly what I meant by my comments, and you know what Howard can do, as opposed to a lot of other players in the league. You want to make some thinly veiled jabs, go ahead.
      I apologize for the disparaging remark, but the point is: a game changer by your definition would mean that anyone with a WAR above 2.7 is a game changer. There are 82 players in the MLB that fit this criteria according to Baseball-Reference. The MLB has around 750-1200 players depending on the definition of active roster you would like to use. So, by your defintion, game changers make up roughly 7%-11% of the entire league. Does that seem right to you?

(NOTE: All of these players also have a lower strikeout total than Howard. )

Comment

• [QUOTE=MangoKid;106286]A lot of the Phillies fell off this post-season. However, his post season numbers are in 170 ABs, .260 avg, .360 obp, 8 hrs, 33 rbi's. Extrapolate those numbers over a year's worth and it's a tad below what he hits in the regular season. The guy owns a World Series MVP. So, he has shown that he can perform in the post-season.

[QUOTE]

please correct me if i'm wrong but the phillies have only won one world series since howard was with the team and that was in 2008 which cole hamels was the world series mvp.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post

please correct me if i'm wrong but the phillies have only won one world series since howard was with the team and that was in 2008 which cole hamels was the world series mvp.
          My bad. You're right. Hamels was the WS MVP. But Howard had a very good series - 3 homers, 6 rbi's and an ops well over 1.000.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Thames has some pop in his bat and a bit of speed, but he's not as toolsy as Rasmus and he's definitely not in Bautista's league. Let's see how Thames adjusts to his second go-around, but he's someone who the Jays could part with easily if they got a decent deal that would shore up their bullpen. He can ht right handed pitching, but he struggles mightily against lefties. The Jays have 2 guys coming up who project to be much better than Thames in Gose and Marsinick. Thames really isn't the long term solution in the OF. I'd trust Snider more than Thames, and I do hope Snider puts it all together.
            i'm sorry I didn't realize you follow his career since he was 12 years old. you saw half a year out of him and your actng as if he's had as many tries as snider has and you know all about him.

here's one thing you can't deny thames got called up and didn't get sent back, snider did. yet, you still favour snider. Because why he's a year younger?

he had a better year than rasmus just with the jays st. lou not included and bautista is arguably the best player in baseball, he's up their with guys like pujols, kemp, braun, etc.

not many guys are in that league. plus, if the jays had acquired bautista any earlier than they did everyone would of had no problem trading him because of how shit he was. it took him until he was 30 to make something out of himself and we're lucky it wasn't with a different team.

rasmus is also a five tool player which is also not common and unfair to ascess with not even a full year player.

just ludicrous comments.

not to mention you wrote everything twice.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              i'm sorry I didn't realize you follow his career since he was 12 years old. you saw half a year out of him and your actng as if he's had as many tries as snider has and you know all about him.

here's one thing you can't deny thames got called up and didn't get sent back, snider did. yet, you still favour snider. Because why he's a year younger?

he had a better year than rasmus just with the jays st. lou not included and bautista is arguably the best player in baseball, he's up their with guys like pujols, kemp, braun, etc.

not many guys are in that league. plus, if the jays had acquired bautista any earlier than they did everyone would of had no problem trading him because of how shit he was. it took him until he was 30 to make something out of himself and we're lucky it wasn't with a different team.

rasmus is also a five tool player which is also not common and unfair to ascess with not even a full year player.

just ludicrous comments.

not to mention you wrote everything twice.
              Clean up your post a bit and I'll respond to it.

Comment

• False Identity

Cleveland Indians starting pitcher Fausto Carmona has been arrested in Dominican Republic for falsifying his identity, according to multiple sources.

Carmona was reportedly arrested outside of the consulate while trying to get a work visa. According to ESPN Desportes, Carmona's real name is Roberto Hernandez Heredia. The undrafted pitcher is also not 28-years-old as listed in the MLB, but rather 31-years-old, according to Dionisio Soldevila.

Carmona pitched his way to a 7-15 record in 32 starts, with a 5.25 ERA and 1.40 WHIP in 2011 with the Indians. The Indians picked up Carmona's $7 million option for 2012, despite the faltering numbers. It is unclear at this time whether, or not, Carmona will be legally eligible to play at the start of the 2012 season.
                http://www.thescore.com/mlb/articles...fying-identity

Comment

• Does anyone even know who's interested in Fielder...? I'm annoyed how people are saying Washington are in it. A guy on mlb.com wrote an article about how there's a 99% chance Washington can't afford him and I'm pretty sure their GM even said they aren't going to go after him.. Cubs are out, Rangers are out, Mariners can't afford him.. So who exactly is going after him? Those were the main suitors all summer.

I think it'd be a good move by the Jays to pick him up, they can probably get him for 5 years and a couple club options, there's no way anyone will give him a 10 year deal. I know it's extremely unlikely but I'm pretty confident that with him in our lineup then our pitchers would be good enough to beat anyone with all of our run support. I'm kinda just sick of all of our teams sucking and having to hope for a miracle eveeeery year because we don't go after any big free agents ever.. I think it'd create a lot of buzz in Toronto and definitely increase sales, it'd pretty much pay for itself. We just need some excitement in Toronto.. And please correct me if I'm wrong, but when Anthopoulos came in wasn't that what he was all about? Competing by 2012? I can't find anything stating that, but I really don't believe I'm just making it up.. Now he's kinda going against that.

Fact of the matter is, if (insert any starting pitching but Romero here, plus Rasmus, plus Lind, plus Kelly Johnson, plus Snider, plus Rajai Davis) isn't more consistent, then we'll be worse than we were last year, regardless of whether or not our bullpen is slightly better.

Comment

• We're still interested in Fielder.

Beeston has said that they'd be willing to spend for the right price.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
                      We're still interested in Fielder.

Beeston has said that they'd be willing to spend for the right price.
                      When your agent is Scott Boras, there's no chance it will be the "right price" for the Jays.. So don't count on it. Anthopoulos already said there weren't going to be any more big moves as well, so I'd say the Jays have about a 1% chance of signing him.

Comment

• Scott Boras isn't known for caving in at times like these, but eventually Fielder will.

It just takes patience.

Comment

• I think all the elements are there to make it a smart signing by the Jays.. It's hard to hear Jays management continually say that it isn't at this time.. If they think we can compete for the 2nd wildcard, how can they say that Fielder wouldn't push us over the top and make us legit contenders.. It's brutal to hear, when is the next time there will be another Fielder available? I think we'd be instant favorites if we made a reasonable offer, what other possible team that has the money to make an offer is even remotely as good a fit as the Jays are? I think we definitely could get back to being top 10 in attendance as soon as people realize the team is serious about making the playoffs.. Not even counting how many Canadian viewers would watch, that's a big market when you're the soul owner of the rights to broadcast every game.

There are too many positives to this deal than I can count.. 5 to 6 years when you're only DH'ing really isn't going to do that much damage on his knees.. How many games has he missed for the last 3-4 yrs? He's consistent.. Like Anthopoulos said when they signed Bautista, if you can't gamble on him, who can you gamble on? /rant

Comment

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                            There are too many positives to this deal than I can count.. 5 to 6 years when you're only DH'ing really isn't going to do that much damage on his knees.. How many games has he missed for the last 3-4 yrs? He's consistent.. Like Anthopoulos said when they signed Bautista, if you can't gamble on him, who can you gamble on? /rant
                            Prince Fielder will not be a Jay. AA said on PTS with McCown that in order to make a big signing he'd have to guarantee to ownership that they would win. Since you can never make that guarantee, there won't be any big signings.

Plus, this team isn't as close as people think. Even if Rasmus, Lawrie, D'Arnaud, Snider all figure it out this year, you still have a big hole at 1B and a rotation full of question marks. There's a long way to go. Fielder would no doubt help but he doesn't by any stretch make them a playoff team.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Prince Fielder will not be a Jay. AA said on PTS with McCown that in order to make a big signing he'd have to guarantee to ownership that they would win. Since you can never make that guarantee, there won't be any big signings.

Plus, this team isn't as close as people think. Even if Rasmus, Lawrie, D'Arnaud, Snider all figure it out this year, you still have a big hole at 1B and a rotation full of question marks. There's a long way to go. Fielder would no doubt help but he doesn't by any stretch make them a playoff team.
                              D'Arnaud won't be playing with the Jays until late in the year at best. J.P is only getting better and is already among the top in catcher production so that position isn't a problem. Lawrie will be fine, I'm not worried about him. Snider is a question mark, as is Rasmus.. Although I think they'll be alright, just keep them anywhere in the 7th-9th spots until they produce. Huge hole at 1B? Adam Lind hit .300 up til the all star break, he had that injury that kept him out a month and he wasn't the same player in the end of the season.. But he still put up good HR and RBI numbers and could have easily had 100 RBI if he didn't miss a month.

Pretty sure we were like top 5 in runs scored last year, so that would only increase with Prince Fielder because you'd have no way around the top of our line up.. You'd have to pitch to them. Like I said, I think that would make up for any inconsistencies we have in our starting rotation. Romero is solid, Brandon Morrow has only been a full time starting pitcher for 2 years, and he had 200 strike outs last year.. He can dominate, and I think he'll definitely keep improving. Henderson Alvarez seems pretty solid and I don't think there's reason to question his ability, and I'm hearing really good things about Brett Cecil, I hear he's working his ass off and he definitely has something to prove this year (plus he lost close to 30 lbs this offseason), and Kyle Drabek is only a year removed from being a top prospect.. He has all the tools, and if he doesn't start right away, McGowan is my absolute favorite.. I love his stuff, and I think he could be huge for us if he is our starter.. I ultimately think he'll be the biggest surprise this year.

I think you're way off in saying Fielder doesn't make us a playoff team.. We competed with just about everyone last year, and with a better bullpen and a lot of added protection in our lineup, I don't think it's a stretch at all.

Comment

• And btw, Beeston said like 2 days ago that they could sign him for the right price.. So.. Conflicting stories. I believe the Jays are still in it, and I'd like my hopes to continue right up until he signs with another team. I think the Jays are still on his short list and even if it is false hope, that's what my whole life has been as a Toronto fan. I would like it to stay that way until it can be replaced with real hope, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X