The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    So apparently the Blue Jays didn't even make an offer for Price ... I'm blown away ... completely disappointed. But I guess I can't say I'm surprised.. Unreal.

And now I'm reading about this Ross Atkins, a complete and utter "Shapiro-guy" from Cleveland ... I guess I shouldn't form my opinions just yet, but I'm pretty disappointed overall so far with how things have followed up that amazing run last year.
    Would happily give up Dickey and Happ and even Estrada for Price. ~38M vs 30.1 and most likely 2 or 3 will regress. 7 years isn't that long if its just one player and he would be tradeable for value unlike Happ and Estrada if they suck

Comment

• *Blue Jays boner is dead once again*

Comment

• Annnnnnnd here goes another one of our best middle relief pitchers: http://www.tsn.ca/report-tigers-ex-j...-deal-1.405363

Comment

• Looks like they are waiting for the bottom of the barrel on f/as. If these guys don't compensate for all the deletions so far they could have themselves a half full stadium opening day.

Comment

• Considering Jose, Edwin and Tulo's track records for remaining consistently healthy aren't that good, I don't want to say we can depend on our bats once again this season. We're clearly out of options for #1 or #2 starters now in the FA market, so better hope we can restock that bullpen which is slowly depleting itself as we speak.

Comment

• Seems to me the narrative has been that Rogers made the decision to bring in Shapiro before the team was clearly ignited (after the trade deadline) and so couldn't retain Alex unless he decided to work under Shapiro - they were already committed.

I'm now wondering if this is bullshit. Looks to me like they brought in Shapiro to more aggressively control costs - so Alex bolted - to seek a job with a team that, under the kind of circumstances he created, would resign Price - and maybe even add another reliable arm - to finish the job.

With Price, Stroman, Estrada, Sanchez, Dickey, Osuna and Hutchison, and our line-up, if we're not favourites to win the World Series, we're right there, I think. So I think Rogers just made a straight financial decision not to really "go for it". If they released some kind of account of how it would have been financial suicide, I might be persuaded by it - I really might.

But right now I'm very disappointed ... and more than a little bitter. Two corporations have the Canadian sports world - and all the fans - by the balls right now. It seems a bit silly to suggest a protest movement about bloody sports, but ...

(Shit).
              Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Mon Dec 7, 2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                Would happily give up Dickey and Happ and even Estrada for Price. ~38M vs 30.1 and most likely 2 or 3 will regress. 7 years isn't that long if its just one player and he would be tradeable for value unlike Happ and Estrada if they suck
                Are you still peddling this nonsense? $217 million does not equal $60 million. Your math is somewhat flawed. This year, Dickey/Estrada/Happ will cost you about $36 million, which is slightly more than you would be paying one guy. You will get ~85 starts for the price of 30. Is this really that difficult?

I, too, would love to have David Price but unless the Jays were willing to significantly increase payroll it was never going to happen. It has nothing, zero, ziltch, nada to do with Dickey/Estrada/Happ. It isn't as though they signed those guys and then went, 'Jesus, we could have signed David Price! What were we doing? Now, we have no money left!!!"

Comment

• Dr. James Naismith wrote: View Post
                  Annnnnnnd here goes another one of our best middle relief pitchers: http://www.tsn.ca/report-tigers-ex-j...-deal-1.405363
                  I don't know. Lowe was a little disappointing and he has a track record in Cleveland so the front office has had a good look at him for years and they have a far better feel for him than I do.

Comment

• I can see how Rogers might have worried, though, that if they brought in Price, and actually won the World Series ... how could they then part with Bautista and Encarnacion? Those guys would be in great bargaining positions.

Still, I think you cross that bridge later. Such a shame to take a half-hearted shot at this season. I hope the fans stay away - and turn some of that "hate" that is so often directed against hapless players toward the Mother Ship - Rogers. They've got a media empire to lose. And could rectify the situation during the season ....

Last edited by Wild-ling#1; Tue Dec 8, 2015, 03:46 PM.

Comment

• How much are they paying Shapiro again to "control costs"? Bastards.

Comment

• this offseason could almost not go any worse

zero faith whatsoever in the new management

watch them trade Tulo to "restock the farm system" and an angry mob burn rogers center down
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• $6.5 million/year for Lowe? Wow. No thanks. That's crazy for a guy who would be the 4th most important reliever on the team.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                            So apparently the Blue Jays didn't even make an offer for Price ... I'm blown away ... completely disappointed. But I guess I can't say I'm surprised.. Unreal.

And now I'm reading about this Ross Atkins, a complete and utter "Shapiro-guy" from Cleveland ... I guess I shouldn't form my opinions just yet, but I'm pretty disappointed overall so far with how things have followed up that amazing run last year.
                            The Cleveland Blue Jays.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
                              13-9
                              13-8
                              8 -8
                              7-8
                              11-6

Those are the won loss records of the starting 5 pitchers for the KC Royals.... They managed to compete pretty well last year.
                              Is it that unrealistic to have our starters as currently assembled go:
                              Strohman could go 14-8
                              The Dick will go 12 and 14 and eat up 200 plus innings
                              Estrada will go 11 and 10
                              Happ will go 8 and 12
                              Chavez/Hutch as swing 5th starters go 7 and 12

52 wins.. same as what the KC Royals starters put up last year...
                              Relax. Even if we are becoming the Cleveland Indians we have a real shot at the WS again this coming year.
                              Cueto, Volquez, and Ventura are better than any of the pitchers we have not named Stroman.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                this offseason could almost not go any worse

zero faith whatsoever in the new management

watch them trade Tulo to "restock the farm system" and an angry mob burn rogers center down
                                It actually wouldn't surprise me to see Tulo shipped, especially if the rumblings of him not being pleased with the trade, being true. Not necessarily to restock the farm, but maybe improve the rotation.

Goins and Travis could be good enough up the middle.

Comment

Working...
                                X