The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
    Yeah, that's my point. Can any of us say that the Jays have been one of the best offensive teams in the league this year? I don't think so, we've struggled a lot, but so have a lot of teams so far this year.

Anyways, Jays making up for losing 5 straight by beating the Orioles twice, nice wins. I hope Rasmus continues to play well, and I'm even liking Cooper right now.. He's looking better than Lind did, that's for sure.
    Yup eventually the teams who are playing poorly (i.e Yanks, Red Sox, Angels, Tigers) are going to start picking up steam, sox and angels already doing so. If the Jays' bats don't start to hit with more consistency, they are going to be left behind. The east is still wide open though.

Comment

• I'm not sure who indoctrinated you guys into thinking like this, but I see you guys are still part of the older generation whose understanding of batters is limited to batting averages.

Here's a very simple (appropriate for your reading levels) article outlining the flaws of BAs: http://joyofsox.blogspot.ca/2012/01/...age-in-12.html

Also, here's an interesting statistic: the Rays last season had 3rd most runs in the league despite the 2nd worst batting average. Hmm........

Comment

• That isn't the point, they have trouble just getting on base.. Forget about average, if they aren't getting on base at all then you have to admit they have some problems. The Jays don't walk a lot, they strike out a lot.. So I think batting average is pretty important. They can't hit home runs every time, and when they never have men on base what good is an extra base hit? Take Edwin out of the mix this year and we'd be in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, the bullpen was horrible to start the season, like really bad, so a lot of losses are on their inability to finish games, but you can't tell me our hitting has been among the best. Look where Lind is, look where Thames is, obviously we've had our share of problems.

Comment

• Rays know how to draw walks, do the Jays? No, there's no comparison, Rays do things differently.. That pretty much debunks your whole point.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure who indoctrinated you guys into thinking like this, but I see you guys are still part of the older generation whose understanding of batters is limited to batting averages.

Here's a very simple (appropriate for your reading levels) article outlining the flaws of BAs: http://joyofsox.blogspot.ca/2012/01/...age-in-12.html

Also, here's an interesting statistic: the Rays last season had 3rd most runs in the league despite the 2nd worst batting average. Hmm........
            Wow. Great article link there Prime.

Appropriate for our reading levels huh?

Keep it up bud.

Comment

That isn't the point, they have trouble just getting on base.. Forget about average, if they aren't getting on base at all then you have to admit they have some problems. The Jays don't walk a lot, they strike out a lot.. So I think batting average is pretty important. They can't hit home runs every time, and when they never have men on base what good is an extra base hit? Take Edwin out of the mix this year and we'd be in trouble.
              You don't have to be the best at batting in this league to be a good team. Look at the Reds. They are arguably worse than us offensively and have, at best, a comparable rotation. Without their bullpen we're looking at a sub-500 them.
              Don't get me wrong, the bullpen was horrible to start the season, like really bad, so a lot of losses are on their inability to finish games, but you can't tell me our hitting has been among the best. Look where Lind is, look where Thames is, obviously we've had our share of problems.
              We currently lead the AL East in run differential. I think our offense is at least pretty decent, no?
              Rays know how to draw walks, do the Jays? No, there's no comparison, Rays do things differently.. That pretty much debunks your whole point.
              That wasn't a comparison but rather an example to show you the limitations of BA.

That being said, of course we do things differently--we hit home runs and we drive in runs when they count. It's always been that way.

.40 Cal Flakes wrote: View Post
              Wow. Great article link there Prime.

Appropriate for our reading levels huh?

Keep it up bud.
              I know, right? It was pretty hard finding a suitable article like that.

Comment

• The questions about the Jays run differential that have been raised relate to a few things: abnormally high LOB% for their pitchers; abnormally high GB rates for their pitchers; abnormally high number of DPs; FIP numbers that suggest ERAs are set to climb; abnormally high BA with RISP for the lineup. These are worrying signs, especially the FIP numbers.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                  The questions about the Jays run differential that have been raised relate to a few things: abnormally high LOB% for their pitchers; abnormally high GB rates for their pitchers; abnormally high number of DPs; FIP numbers that suggest ERAs are set to climb; abnormally high BA with RISP for the lineup. These are worrying signs, especially the FIP numbers.
                  This is probably due to the Jays defense. I wouldn't be surprised if Romero or Morrow both have a low BABIP this year but in actuality all Jays pitchers are benefiting from an abnormally low BABIP--something that is likely attributed to our improved defense.

Comment

• Thank God Eric Thames is gone down, its now the time to give Snider that chance after he recovers.

What happened to Luis Perez, that guy is one of the best relievers we got.

Im going to the Red Sox game on Sunday and getting the Yunel Escobar bobble head, thats my shit lol.
                    Last edited by e2thed; Thu May 31, 2012, 08:57 PM.
                    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Snider won't be coming up anytime soon. He's still suffering from a wrist injury. The team is calling it a 'setback'

Comment

• Was just thinking about the Lawrie/Marcum trade. So far, which team do you think came out ahead? Marcum has been a steady 200 inning guy with an ERA of about 3.50 for the last few years, and while I haven't been that impressed with Lawrie's play offensively yet this year, he really does energize the team and definitely the fans. He also has a few years on Marcum and I think he'll only get better. It's a pretty even trade really, but with all our starting pitching inconsistencies it'd sure be nice to have another reliable SP to fall back on.

Comment

Was just thinking about the Lawrie/Marcum trade. So far, which team do you think came out ahead? Marcum has been a steady 200 inning guy with an ERA of about 3.50 for the last few years, and while I haven't been that impressed with Lawrie's play offensively yet this year, he really does energize the team and definitely the fans. He also has a few years on Marcum and I think he'll only get better. It's a pretty even trade really, but with all our starting pitching inconsistencies it'd sure be nice to have another reliable SP to fall back on.
                          It's been a good trade for both teams. The Brewers needed a starter to try and win in 2011 and Marcum helped them get into the post-season. The Jays got an everyday player at a premium position who has the ability to be a 6 or 7 WAR player.

Comment

• As a basketball related note, for those people who want to "fix" the NBA draft and cure all that ails it, the 2012 Rule IV MLB draft is a great reminder of the law of unintended consequences. The Jays, Yanks, Red Sox and Rangers made a mockery out of the draft. What a joke.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              As a basketball related note, for those people who want to "fix" the NBA draft and cure all that ails it, the 2012 Rule IV MLB draft is a great reminder of the law of unintended consequences. The Jays, Yanks, Red Sox and Rangers made a mockery out of the draft. What a joke.
                              Care to elaborate?

Comment

Care to elaborate?
                                Use all your 4th-10th round picks to draft players that should go in the 30th round to save signing money allocation to sign the guys you picked in the first three rounds. This idea of hard-slotting looked great to some but it won't really drive down signing bonuses for top prospects. It will however, make it hard for MLB to attract two-sport athletes and will screw over college seniors completely (even moreso than they were already).

Bottom line is, teams will always find ways to exploit the rules and you may just be making things worse.

Comment

Working...
                                X