The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Use all your 4th-10th round picks to draft players that should go in the 30th round to save signing money allocation to sign the guys you picked in the first three rounds. This idea of hard-slotting looked great to some but it won't really drive down signing bonuses for top prospects. It will however, make it hard for MLB to attract two-sport athletes and will screw over college seniors completely (even moreso than they were already).

Bottom line is, teams will always find ways to exploit the rules and you may just be making things worse.
    Yeah, it really does screw over college seniors.. That's what the Jays did, signed them 4th through 10th round to save some money for their top 3 round picks.. Seniors have no leverage so they really have to go for cheap if they wanna play baseball asap. I liked it the way before obviously as a Jays fan, but not much you can do about it.

Btw.. Francisco Cordero is reminding me of Brian Tallet.. Every time the guy goes in you know he's gonna find some way to fuck up and lose you the ball game.. I called it as soon as I saw him warning up..

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      Use all your 4th-10th round picks to draft players that should go in the 30th round to save signing money allocation to sign the guys you picked in the first three rounds. This idea of hard-slotting looked great to some but it won't really drive down signing bonuses for top prospects. It will however, make it hard for MLB to attract two-sport athletes and will screw over college seniors completely (even moreso than they were already).

Bottom line is, teams will always find ways to exploit the rules and you may just be making things worse.
      It could have been worse. Apparently, some teams wanted to enlist their interns into the draft so they could draft them and give them basically a $1 bonus. At least the college seniors drafted get 5K and a chance to play in rookie ball and belong in an organization when in they normally would have not. For some, just the notion of being drafted was fufillment of their wildest dreams.

I don't see how it was all that bad. They didn't do anything against the rules. They just circumvented it a bit.
      Last edited by MangoKid; Fri Jun 8, 2012, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Francisco Cordero is an ugly overweight bastard with an uncomfirmed small penis, which causes mirrored glass to shatter everywhere he goes. which continuosly causes him bad luck.

I feel for the guy.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• The Jays signed some dude for 1k who's going in the military for a minimum of 2 years.. Also signed another guy for 5k. Think they probably are using that to sign Alford who said he was going to sign with the Jays even though no one really thought he would sign, the guy was literally telling people not to sign him because of his university commitments.

That balk call was so bogus tonight.. They really should be able to review those plays and over turn calls, it was dumb how all the umpires just went with the guy and we couldn't argue it.

Comment

• Didn't watch the game tonight, but did Cordero just lose two games in a row for us?

Comment

• Actually JP committed an error, but still why is he pitching, Jassen is way better, I'd even put in a young gun like Chad Beck in over him, or Evan Crawford, matter fact lets demote Cordero and bring in Marcus Stroman already lol.
              They need to trade some of the farm for another solid starter and send Drabek down. Seems like McGowen never coming back.....
              NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• Beck already pitched in the game though, but I get your point.. Cordero hasn't earned the late inning relief this year, idc wtf you're paying him, he doesn't deserve to be pitching right now. It's like Brian Tallet all over again, he's a plague to the team. What'd Drabek do wrong though? He pitched okay, got out of trouble when he had to.. Definitely kept us in the game. He's not doing horrible, and he was actually doing pretty well up until a couple weeks ago, so I think he deserves to be given more of a shot, it's not like our other pitchers haven't struggled at all.

Comment

• Very true about what you said about Drabek but I think he needs a little more time in the minors and really dominate down there. I also want the Jays to get a solid starter like Garza or Hamels to push us over the edge in the starters.
                  But on another note, Drew is a machine. I went to see the last Boston game and he was a straight up killer, I loved it when he went for Youk's head hes got some solid potential for a spot in the future, needs to work on some of his other stuff his fastball is good though.

Comment

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                    Beck already pitched in the game though, but I get your point.. Cordero hasn't earned the late inning relief this year, idc wtf you're paying him, he doesn't deserve to be pitching right now. It's like Brian Tallet all over again, he's a plague to the team. What'd Drabek do wrong though? He pitched okay, got out of trouble when he had to.. Definitely kept us in the game. He's not doing horrible, and he was actually doing pretty well up until a couple weeks ago, so I think he deserves to be given more of a shot, it's not like our other pitchers haven't struggled at all.
                    Drabek is a walk machine.

Unless you're Nolan Ryan or have 8 (IIRC) pitches like Darvish, that's not what I want from my starters.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post

Unless you're Nolan Ryan or have 8 (IIRC) pitches like Darvish, that's not what I want from my starters.
                      Yeah, he gives up as many walks as hits a lot of the time which is starting to catch up to him. Don't get me wrong, I'd totally prefer having a reliable experienced arm, but just going by the guys we have I don't think he should be sent down YET, maybe soon if he doesn't turn things around, but not yet. I don't think being in Las Vegas would help Drabek, last year when he went down he had an ERA of over 7, so it's not like he'd dominate.

Idk man, the Jays are frustrating to watch, not many of our players have showed much consistency so I wouldn't pin everything on Drabek. I think he's had more good games than bad ones and if he turns it around even a little bit I think at the very least he'd have a decent trade value by the end of the year.

Comment

• Prime wrote: View Post

YOUR starters!

#sarcasm
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Talk about a mediocre trade from Anthopolous today: http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=401047

Not really a move for helps us now or down the road. Happ will eat some innings, but that pretty much it. Don't like this deal at all.

Comment

• At least that bulldog looking failure of a relief pitcher Cordero is gone. WOOO HOOOOO.

Comment

• Ya I'm not sure how I feel about the deal. Depends who the Minors are that we gave up I guess, but I think Happ has a chance to pull a 'Rasmus/Bautista/Encarnacion' and really turn his career around for the better given the right environment.
                              I also like the acquisition of Lyon. He's always solid.

As for Cordero, good riddance.

Comment

• Happ's record is misleading this season considering how bad the Astros are. So, maybe he's a late bloomer (ala R.A. Dickey) and the best is yet to come. I just think they gave up alot to get pretty much just him and maybe Lyon.

Comment

Working...
                                X