The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    I'm just taking a look at the rest of the division - the Yankees got stronger, the Red Sox, sure they lost Ellsbury (but they have Jackie Bradley Jr waiting), they just re-signed Napoli and they still have the best starting staff in the division, the Rays only take a step back (this year) if they trade Price - but they will still have Matt Moore, Chris Archer and Alex Cobb among others. Take into account that the Rangers, Athletics and Mariners got stronger, it just doesn't look good on us. We have some talent, but the talent rarely stays healthy. I think teams will overpay for contract-friendly contracts like Encarnacion and Bautista.
    The fact that the Yankees and Red Sox are always going to be competitive is never going to change. The fact that they're going to be our division rivals is not going to change in the near future. If we tear it up and rebuild, we're going to face the same reality again (when ready). If they have another year like last year, I won't be in favour of continuing this way. For now though, staying the course is the logical thing to do IMO.

As far as other teams being active is concerned, it's still early. Even the winter meeting haven't yet taken place. AA said that he'd make changes and I'm sure he will. Significant ones, I'm sure.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

He can still keep his job by rebuilding the farm system and cutting a bit of payroll. The experiment just didn't work out. They will have 2 picks in the top 11 next year, and if they can get some very good prospects from Encarnacion, Bautista and Dickey, the chance to strike will be a bit more prominent and perhaps then they can start adding payroll in a couple of years time. By that time, you'll have guys like Sanchez and Stroman to add to a rotation that would have Drew Hutchison.

No, he can't. Last year was his big move. It's what he built towARDS and it flopped. If he blows it up again, he's basically admitting his own failure and incompetence as GM. There's the door..

Interesting to note; The Jays team policy is max. 5 year contracts.
      Last edited by LBF; Sat Dec 7, 2013, 04:52 PM.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• Halladay retiring a Jay. Awesome news, wasn't expecting it at all

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
          Halladay retiring a Jay. Awesome news, wasn't expecting it at all
          HEADLINE: Halladay retires after signing one-day deal with Toronto.

Coolest thing EVER.

Comment

• No, would of been cooler if he hadof at least attempted a comeback with the Jays this season.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
              No, he can't. Last year was his big move. It's what he built towARDS and it flopped. If he blows it up again, he's basically admitting his own failure and incompetence as GM. There's the door..

Interesting to note; The Jays team policy is max. 5 year contracts.
              Where's the rule that says he can't? The Marlins did that last year and they now look like geniuses. So, if this team isn't good enough to win, the sensible thing is to sit on your hands? I'm growing increasingly tired of Anthopoulos. It didn't work last season, in fact, it fell way short. So the question begs, Why wait it out for 3 years?

Comment

Where's the rule that says he can't? The Marlins did that last year and they now look like geniuses. So, if this team isn't good enough to win, the sensible thing is to sit on your hands? I'm growing increasingly tired of Anthopoulos. It didn't work last season, in fact, it fell way short. So the question begs, Why wait it out for 3 years?
                I'm not saying it's not possible. I am saying he can't.

Comment

I'm not saying it's not possible. I am saying he can't.
                  There's not too much the Jays can do right now. They've already came out and said that they're balking at the FA prices, so that takes them out of acquiring any of the remaining pitchers out there, not to mention Infante to shore up the second base position. This was the year that the Jays should have taken advantage of signing big name free agents. They could do so without surrendering their first round pick (and if I'm not mistaken, I think they have 2 picks in the top 11). They can't make too many trades because teams are asking for Sanchez and or Stroman. This is a very critical year for the Jays, and shit's gonna hit the fan. All of their assets at the ML level are deteriorating rapidly. It looks like another last place finish and maybe a top-10 pick in 2015 as well. Pick a few core guys - Lawrie, Rasmus and trade the rest of them. Stroman and Sanchez will be up in 2 years or less to join the core and at that time, the Jays can try to be players in the FA market.

Comment

There's not too much the Jays can do right now. They've already came out and said that they're balking at the FA prices, so that takes them out of acquiring any of the remaining pitchers out there, not to mention Infante to shore up the second base position. This was the year that the Jays should have taken advantage of signing big name free agents. They could do so without surrendering their first round pick (and if I'm not mistaken, I think they have 2 picks in the top 11). They can't make too many trades because teams are asking for Sanchez and or Stroman. This is a very critical year for the Jays, and shit's gonna hit the fan. All of their assets at the ML level are deteriorating rapidly. It looks like another last place finish and maybe a top-10 pick in 2015 as well. Pick a few core guys - Lawrie, Rasmus and trade the rest of them. Stroman and Sanchez will be up in 2 years or less to join the core and at that time, the Jays can try to be players in the FA market.
                    Yeah, but thing is look at all the high-tier prospects the Jays had and they came up and have been lackluster at the bigs. Hutchison, Drabek, Snider,Thames,Gose, and they haven't even been able to sign the guys that they've drafted in what the past 3 drafts?

Anthopolous leash is choking up on him.

Comment

And they haven't even been able to sign the guys that they've drafted in what the past 3 drafts?

Anthopolous leash is choking up on him.
                      You do understand how the MLB draft works, right? You do understand that the Jays' strategy is going to mean this happens, right? When you draft guys that are going to be hard to sign you will get some really good players that other teams pass on. Conversely, you will sometimes lose the battle. You also realize they get compensation picks, right?

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        You do understand how the MLB draft works, right? You do understand that the Jays' strategy is going to mean this happens, right? When you draft guys that are going to be hard to sign you will get some really good players that other teams pass on. Conversely, you will sometimes lose the battle. You also realize they get compensation picks, right?
                        Well, maybe, they ought to change their strategy, eh?

Compensation picks mean nothing, if you can't sign those players. It's a stupid fucking cycle. Puts the team in further setback.

21 years and counting..

Comment

21 years and counting..
                          Yes, cause AA has been the GM for 22 years.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            Yes, cause AA has been the GM for 22 years.
                            He took on that responsibility/weight on his shoulders when he accepted the job.

Why are you defending him? Do you know him personally? What has he done for you? Who is he to you? or;

is there some problem you have with me?

Comment

• Yankees get Tanaka... what a surprise

Comment

• wallz wrote: View Post
                                Yankees get Tanaka... what a surprise
                                Baseball isn't fun anymore. The rich still continue to get richer and the Blue Jays still suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X