No announcement yet.

Raptors Looking To Deal Draft Picks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would BC want to trade our draft picks even if the draft is horrible? We are not going to get free agents here and BC seems to have lost his mo-jo making big trades. If he trades out of the draft, I think it will really show that BC has to go and if BC is resigned by MLSE after such huge draft day gaffe, I cease watching this team .

Comment

Shantz wrote: View Post
      If the problem ever becomes that we have too much youth and that leads to immaturity, then we can easily turn some young talent into a good veteran to add some stability.
      But which is more valuable, and which could get us more for our 'dollar'; a draft pick with no face, no salary, no down side OR a player with a contract, flaws and a desperate team trying to move them. I think a pick is more valuable as a pick, and not as a player. But thats just my opinion.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
        Why would BC want to trade our draft picks even if the draft is horrible? We are not going to get free agents here and BC seems to have lost his mo-jo making big trades. If he trades out of the draft, I think it will really show that BC has to go and if BC is resigned by MLSE after such huge draft day gaffe, I cease watching this team .
        Really though? I'd say picking up Bayless showed he's got some 'mojo' left; but honestly if he can turn a late 1st round pick into a solid, tough nosed Vet (Miami's pick and Alabi for Joel Anthony? Or something along those lines.) I'd be more than fine with that. As I just said, I think we'd have a better chance of getting something worthwhile if we move the pick as opposed to an underachieving rookie.

Comment

cbowlby wrote: View Post
          We can always draft players, and if they do not work out trade them at a later date. There are still some good seniors in the draft, such as Nolan Smith, Jimmer Fredette, and Kyle Singler who all could be good role players on a team.
          Plus one and guys like Jordan Hamilton and Tyler Honeycutt are SFs we could draft outside the lottery(the position on our team that really needs help is the SF spot imo) and Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler(could be a backup SF) can be gotten in the late 20's(because they are seniors and teams don't draft seniors high in the draft as they believe their skills are already set). Trading our pick and Miami's pick together could get us 3 picks outside the lottery that can get us these solid role players or we can keep our pick and trade Miami's picks with picks gotten from Barbosa, Reggie Evans and Jose trades to playoff contenders for draft picks(package that pick + Miami's pick to get two picks in the 20's to get Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, trade for Jonny Flynn and evaluating if he fits here, if he does, we also ship Bayless out as he does not have the "it" factor as a PG imo, both actions set the PG spots and wings problems once and for all).

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
            Nope team cannot go two years without a 1st round pick. Would have to be 2013.

I was saying in another thread that it would be nice to pick up another mid draft pick. For me though ideal would be the trade mentioned (in the trade forums) for biedrins and curry (shipping out caldy and bargs) and then drafting say a Terrence jones. We would have a biedrins, Davis, (Terrence Jones), Derozan, Curry lineup with Amir, Bayless bench with energy Dorsey and Wright for situational. Continue to develop and build role players and I would be happy watching that team.
            Ted Stepien rules guys - no team can trade 2 consecutive first round picks(what happened was that Ted Stepien was a horrible GM of the Cavaliers(the Cavaliers were horrible then that was the first time they were called the cadavers lmao) in the 1970s as he sold first round picks for quick fixes and veterans(unfortunately one of those draft picks was a #1 pick that turned out to be James Worthy - multiple championship winner with the Lakers lol)).

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
              Really though? I'd say picking up Bayless showed he's got some 'mojo' left; but honestly if he can turn a late 1st round pick into a solid, tough nosed Vet (Miami's pick and Alabi for Joel Anthony? Or something along those lines.) I'd be more than fine with that. As I just said, I think we'd have a better chance of getting something worthwhile if we move the pick as opposed to an underachieving rookie.
              Nah that was a small trade(like a fish fry), he has not made a shark trade for a long time lol. If he can turn Jose however into a mid-first round pick and Barbosa, Reggie Evans are flipped for first round picks too, he deserves an extension then. If he can not get that to work, he needs to go lol or I cease being a fan of this team lol.

Comment

Why would BC want to trade our draft picks even if the draft is horrible? We are not going to get free agents here
                I'm with you. Like I said a earlier today, his track record is much better when using draft picks than when trading draft picks. Stockpile the young talent and let it grow. An excellent strategy moving forward into an uncertain environment (CBA negotiations).

BC seems to have lost his mo-jo making big trades.
                I wouldn't say that. Most GM's don't make big trades. Colangelo makes a lot more big trades than most GM's. If he's quiet it's because there's nothing worthwhile to be had.

Comment

Plus one and guys like Jordan Hamilton and Tyler Honeycutt are SFs we could draft outside the lottery(the position on our team that really needs help is the SF spot imo) and Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler(could be a backup SF) can be gotten in the late 20's(because they are seniors and teams don't draft seniors high in the draft as they believe their skills are already set). Trading our pick and Miami's pick together could get us 3 picks outside the lottery that can get us these solid role players or we can keep our pick and trade Miami's picks with picks gotten from Barbosa, Reggie Evans and Jose trades to playoff contenders for draft picks(package that pick + Miami's pick to get two picks in the 20's to get Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler, trade for Jonny Flynn and evaluating if he fits here, if he does, we also ship Bayless out as he does not have the "it" factor as a PG imo, both actions set the PG spots and wings problems once and for all).
                  I don't think Honeycutt is going to last past the lottery. The point being is that draft is full of role players (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you're gonna get a top-5 pick, you hope the guy doesn't pan out to be a role player) and maybe 1 or 2 guys that could develop into a star. I wouldn't be opposed to dealing the pick provided we get a young player with potential (23 and under) in return.

I don't know why so many think that Jonny Flynn is the answer here. Shit, he's not even beating out Ridnour for PT and if Minnesota deals him, you know something's up - and they NEED point guard help. I don;t know why you'd want to get rid of Bayless to make room for Flynn. Flynn's AST/TO ratio isn't very good.

Comment

Nah that was a small trade(like a fish fry), he has not made a shark trade for a long time lol. If he can turn Jose however into a mid-first round pick and Barbosa, Reggie Evans are flipped for first round picks too, he deserves an extension then. If he can not get that to work, he needs to go lol or I cease being a fan of this team lol.
                    Jose is not being turned into a mid round pick. Neither is Evans. Everyone seems to have expirings this season, our situation isn't exactly unique. Unless Evans is going to take a paycut or have the same salary for next season, he won't be back, and in my estimation, he probably won't be back - especially if a guy like Sullinger or Kanter is the pick.

Comment

So unless he trades ALL of our vets for Three 1st Round Picks you won't watch the team anymore..? Sorry to lose you smushsmush, but I don't think you'll be watching for much longer.

Comment

Basically, this is, "do you take the blender, or what's behind door number 1?". Trading the pick away is playing it safe, but you're most likely not going to get a whole lot of talent, otherwise the other team would not be willing to trade them away for the gamble of a draft pick in a decidedly weak draft.

It's my opinion that great GMs generally don't look for the safe route. The safe route usually leads to mediocrity.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          The safe route usually leads to mediocrity.
                          This is particularly true if you already suck.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
                            Man, is it ever too bad that Memphis' pick this year is owned by the Timberwolves. The following trade for Memphis' pick would be awesome:

To Memphis:
                            Barbosa

To Boston:
                            Mayo

To TO;
                            Avery Bradley
                            Marquis Daniels (expiring)
                            Thabeet (expiring next year)
                            Memphis' pick
                            Boston's pick.
                            Keep dreaming...

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                              Keep dreaming...
                              I will.

Comment

Knowing Colangelo he will probably deal our second first round pick and Sonny Weems for the like of Rudy Fernandez.

Comment

Working...
                                X