Jerryd Bayless, really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    No he's not healthy now. He'll never be back to 100% ever again. He has a degenerative spinal condition that he will have to live with for the rest of his life. He broke his neck and came back strong but he's never been the same since Al Horford mowed him down from behind resulting in the stinger which left him momentary paralyzed. He's not back to where he was and probably never will be because of his condition which puts him at risk when he plays aggressively, which is TJ Ford basketball. If TJ Ford can't play fearlessly, then he's not 100%. That's my honest opinion.
    If that is the case, then there can be no debate on if a healthy Ford is better than Jose because it is fictional.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      If I had a vote to give time to Rubio or Bayelss before coming to a verdict as to their future in the NBA, I would take a chance on Rubio every time! As a teenager he has squared off against the best NBA players and stood his ground. I think he has the potential to be a star. Bayless is just another tweener guard like Ford and Jack. They show signs of brilliance but, at the end of the day, they are selfish me-first players who's nature isn't to facilitate team play. In short bursts they can get the rest of the team involved, but that's not the way they play and excel. They should be SG but are too small to be effective at that position. On certain rosters they could excel, but the Raptors need a true pass-first PG of the future who will eventually replace Calderon (and ideally play good defense as well).
      When is the last time you saw Rubio play? He's certainly not tearing it up in the league he's in let alone the NBA.

Comment

There is something about him that is undefinably lacking (to me). He seems to have all of the requirements to be an elite pg (passing, mid range j, 3 pt.shot, lateral quickness (for defense), ball handling and attacking the rim). Hmmm sounds like CP3 !!! But...
        He either needs more pt or correct his decision making. Or is it his lack of "bigness"? Right now I believe he is definitely worth keeping going forward (not as a starter). He was a slated 4-5th pick in his draft year but went lower so he was highly considered. He also has leadership qualities and serious about his work. One must remember becoming a pg on a new team is probably the toughest transition for a traded ballplayer let alone a young one. Getting to know the position/stylistic needs of different members of the team is not easy.

Comment

jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
          But he was consistently good when he started.
          No, he wasn't "consistently good" as a starter. In that tiny sample size of 7 games, he had 3, 4, 11, 15, 17, 20 & 31 pts. That's 50% bad, 50% good & 1 average game(s), scoring wise. Toss out the 31-pt Detroit game, in which nobody played defense and it really looks bad. Also, I can't recall the Denver game where he started and only got 3pts, yet the team had 116. Also, not good.

Comment

j bean wrote: View Post
            When is the last time you saw Rubio play? He's certainly not tearing it up in the league he's in let alone the NBA.
            Europe and NBA are very different games. Europe is team focused, NBA is individual. Jennings struggled mightily in Europe and excelled in MIL. But even in the Jennings situation there are so many variables.

Much like the Melo situation, I would like Rubio to get over here so the hypothetical discussions can end.

Comment

I'll repeat a couple of things about what I posted earlier. Going into the year I thought that DJ. Augustin was S@#% and that Charlotte would struggle without a half decent point-guard. In his first 3 years he was maddenly inconsistent, could put up numbers and play defense, but couldn't run a team when called upon. Now he's having a better season than last years all-star 'Crash'.

The same thing with Collinson, why was Indiana struggling earlier this year, Collison (Hibbert), why are they doing well Collinson again (Hibbert). The point is young point-guards with huge upside need pt and space to make mistakes. If Westbrook can be a college 2 and a pro 1. So can Bayless.

Why do I compare Bayless to Jack? Both are above average defenders, both can shoot the ball but are far too inconsistent, both are poor at running an offense, both are turnover prone and poor passers. Both A+ leaders and competitors who always play 100% when they can, they're both fearless and great free-throw shooters. That's pretty much it.

If Bayless can learn to run an offense effectively, and be consistent with his shot. Then the sky's the limit for 22 year old kid.
              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                How has he gotten worse since he's been drafted by Minnesota? I'm not quite following you on that. That statement is a bit puzzling. And how did he blow it for Spain at the WC? For a 19-year old, he played pretty big minutes and was solid. Still averaged over 5 apg. To blame the downfall of Spain on him is a bit disappointing.
                I agree that saying he has gotten worse since getting drafted is a stretch, but he without doubt had a disappointing WC. He shot very poorly, didn't excel in ruuning the offense or the fast break which should be his strenghts and was benched in key stretches in favor of Navarro which outplayed him.
                He has all the physical attributes to be a top NBA PG, but without developing his shot he will be easily guarded by NBA talent PG's.

Comment

JYD18 wrote: View Post
                  I was at the game last night, and one thing I noticed was how the offence stalled when JB was in. I got the vibe that he was trying to play similar to Calderon but that's not really his style. When he's in the Raptors need to use his speed with a high pick and roll and see if he can create that way by driving an dishing.
                  Absolutely word for word what I was going to say. It's as though he's under orders to be like José, but it just doesn't work, he's not that kind of a player. And while José pentrates a bit (or all the way to the hoop) to get the lay of the land, as it were, JB does one of two things: either he dribbles down the court and simply makes a pass along the perimeter (and that, folks, is the extent of his ball distribution), or, and this is rare lately, he takes it to the hole. It's this latter strategy that he used a lot when he first got here, and any success he had, to the extent that he had any, was thanks to this approach. He needs to get back to it.

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
                    Why do I compare Bayless to Jack? Both are above average defenders, both can shoot the ball but are far too inconsistent, both are poor at running an offense, both are turnover prone and poor passers. Both A+ leaders and competitors who always play 100% when they can, they're both fearless and great free-throw shooters. That's pretty much it.

If Bayless can learn to run an offense effectively, and be consistent with his shot. Then the sky's the limit for 22 year old kid.
                    Jack is an above-average defender? That's Jarret Jack you're talking about, right? The guy who used to play for the Raps? And Bayless is an above average defender? Well, at least on this point, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and speculate that the reason he's giving up SO MANY BLOW-BYS lately is his knee and ankle woes. When healthy, he is an AVERAGE defender. Right now he's shite. And on the plantet that I live on, Jarret Jack is a poor defender. What planet do YOU live on?

Comment

Man Bayless just does not get it, how many times does he have to miss his one on three weak ass scoop to realize it is not a good shot!
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                        Man Bayless just does not get it, how many times does he have to miss his one on three weak ass scoop to realize it is not a good shot!
                        i want Bc to trade this guy. We need an amazing PG from this draft or we r not going to get anywhere

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                          LOOOOL, and hence the other 2 teams passed on him !!! Some guys just don't get it and Bayless is one of them.
                          The best he can become in this league is a reliable back up PG if he start to listen and change the way he plays.

Comment

I do not think Bayless is 100%. I would like to know how injured he is and how much it is affecting his game. I'm really not trying to make excuses, just curious. There is no doubt he is stinking it up right now - and that is being kind. His stat line of 9/5/5 tonight in 24 minutes does not reflect his impact on the game IMO. He did not make anyone out there better which is something I want from my PG. Anyone know of a guy who makes their teammates look much better than they are?

Comment

Where are the people who were screaming that Bayless is an ALL-STAR and that trade was a Steal by BC ??!!!

Come on, Don't be Shy, rasie your hand.

Comment

im with you, i dont see it, IMO his ceiling is a slightly worse shooting, better passing of barbosa

Comment

Working...
                                X