Sun, Colangelo interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
    I think things have to be put into perspective. The goal he was given when he got here was to keep Chris Bosh happy and try to win a contender around him. They wanted to avoid the losing (to the extent that we are doing this year) so Bosh didn't pull a VC on us. That only turned up to give us mediocrity. BC's hand was forced because ownership wanted him to do everything in his power to keep that guy here. Can we really argue that he didn't try?

Now he can build up the right way. We have a few nice players to build on and a high draft pick coming up. Possibly someone who can push us over the edge. I like where things are going with the franchise. If you only look at what's going on right now it looks dark and gloomy but there's light at the end of the tunnel. BC has now set us up to move forward and build a franchise that can win for a number of years and not just a single season. That's what we really want as a fan base, right? I think they should extend him and let him move forward with this plan. If he was told to build around Bosh, then he now should get the chance to build without him. If he fails and we have 1 or 2 more seasons without improvement, then he's got to go. The worst thing to do in that scenario is give him an expiry date that sees him making radical moves to put something together.
    This. Well said.
    “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

How do we go forward and let him make trades, fulfill the Draft and wait until June 30, 2011?
      He should either be fired soon or given an extension.
      “I have no idea who Chukwudiebere Maduabum is, but on his Draft Express profile, he’s listed as Chu Chu. I think he’s worthy of picking just for that. He immediately is in the running for best All-Time NBA name.” -Tim W.

Comment

Nothing would make me more happy than have his ass shipped out of town.

Comment

While saying he didnt want to negotiate thru the media...the piece sounded like he was...lol. As a matter of fact I think he was in plead mode. This is a tried method (giving an interview) before descision time as well. What seems to be discounted in the conversation is how many spots are there available for BC if he didnt stay. Not many I think and would they be just as good as TO. I think he genuinely enjoys being here...so my money is on him taking a shave on length or money or both to set himself for the next gig if it doesnt work out in the next couple of yrs.

Comment

I disagree with a lot of the sentiment on this board to not re-sign BC. I don't agree with a couple of the moves he's made, but in general he's tried to fix his mistakes. Usually, you fire a GM if they've given horrible players horribly large deals, have set up a team for massive failure in the upcoming years, and wasted draft picks on useless players. Look guys, while we argue about Bargnani being a number 1 pick, by no means do I think that he is actually a bust, he has talent, it's his attitude towards defence (and particularly, this teams) thats that problem. But otherwise, I like his pick of DD, I like his pick of ED, he made the good trades for AJ, Reggie, even Bayless occasionally seems worth it. We're well under luxury tax, we can still make some trades and hopefully utilize the TP, and if not, we still have 2 first round picks this year. As a GM, he's set us up quite nicely to develop well in the upcoming years.

What happened after 2007 was unfortunate, but you can't forget that the moment he got here he automatically made us a playoff team. Unless I'm mistaken, we took the 3rd seed and won our first ever Atlantic division title. After that, we got unfortunate with Boston becoming a powerhouse, and with Garbajosa getting injured, and admittedly later on there were stupid signings (JO, Hedo), but generally our GM has made good moves.

What needs to change now is we get a new Head Coach. Possibly even a new coaching staff, because this is the one that's given us problems on defence for years. While I do believe that this staff is good at developing players, eventually we're gonna have to get a real contending coach, particularly since I do not see JT becoming a great head coach. I hope I'm wrong, because I like to be optimistic about this team, but a new coaching philosophy would definitely help us out.

Sign our GM to another 4-5 years, see what happens. I highly doubt that if we bring a new guy in we're gonna get the change we want as fast as we want. It's not our GM that's the problem anymore (recall, previous guy drafted Araujo, Joey Graham, and C-Bosh over D-wade just because we already had VC...) now its our team philosophy that needs to improve.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
              (c) above is probably true - I don't see where BC can be a GM in this league(especially when the rest of the league saw how BC kicked this team to the curbs and made them a joke in the league lol) at thesame pay(without a significant pay cut) and 4-5 years extension except if he accepts the Minnesota job under the laughable David Kahn(how is the Kahn guy even a GM in this league? I think that is a huge indictment on the Minnesota Timberwolves organization, management and owners that is just as inept as MLSE in running winning basketball franchises ***).
              Billy King was hired to run the Nets after crapping the bed with the 76ers for years. Isiah got the GM job in NYC after leaving the Raptors in ruins and then underachieving as coach of the Pacers. Chris Wallace got the Memphis GM post after leaving the remnants of the Celtics pride floating in the toilet. If Colangelo does not secure an extension in Toronto he will be at or near the top of the list to fill every NBA GM vacancy that pops up in the next few years. I'm indifferent on whether he is extended by the Raptors (I think there's equal chance of the team improving as there is that it will flatline or get worse), but it's just plain wrong to say that Colangelo is unemployable after three bad seasons in Toronto.

Comment

In some ways, BC was handcuffed the last few years by perceptions and by the need to keep up appearances. When he first came here and "saved" the franchise, most of us got the impression that we had a franchise player in Bosh and that we were only 1 or two very good players away from being a perennial contender. And so he tinkered away with TJ Ford, and Jermaine O'Neal and (others) ......and Hedo Turkoglu. And most of us thought that that was the way to go as well; I certainly did.

But in the cold light of day, we finally realized that Bosh was not the franchise player we thought he was and that his All-Star stats belied. Bosh is a very good player, but a ton of his stats came about because the offense was centred around him. He couldn't make the players around him better; in fact I would argue that he made the others around him less effective because of the perceived need to run the offense through him.

Now that Bosh is gone, we know exactly what we have in a team. There are no false pretenses and no false expectations. We are building from the ground up with no fear of failure because we have hit near rock-bottom. But we do have some building blocks like DD and ED, and we are smart enough to treat them like building blocks rather than franchise players. I think the next 5 years would give us the truth about whether BC is a basketball genius or a trade-junkie if we were to resign him. I for one, would like to see him resigned if only to really see what he can do with a clean sheet.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                  Nothing would make me more happy than have his ass shipped out of town.

I'm not questioning your opinion Arse, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but a strong statement like that would carry more weight if you had a suggestion for who to bring in to replace him.

Comment

duncan wrote: View Post
                    I'm not questioning your opinion Arse, as everyone is entitled to their opinion, but a strong statement like that would carry more weight if you had a suggestion for who to bring in to replace him.
                    A GM with a plan

Comment

I've been called a BC 'hater' but I have no hate for anyone. I would hope the powers that be that make the decisions look at his record since arriving, the current talent on the court and whatever vision he has for the future of this team, if there is indeed one.

If the profitability of the franchise is removed from the equation (which is quite hard to do) and the decision is based solely on his basketball personnel decisions and creating a contending team I think his failures will outweigh his accomplishments.

In any other business failure is not rewarded. In this market is success based on profit or wins?

If its profit then he will most likely be resigned. If it's wins then the best decision going forward would be to let him walk when his contract runs out at the end of the year.

Comment

nubreed000 wrote: View Post
                        The interview became a joke the moment Colangelo said this: "This franchise will be fine because it has an ownership committed to winning"
                        +1

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          I agree... that now is the best time to release him. I don't understand this thought process of, 'well, now he has time to rebuild. let him do a rebuild and see...'. The Raps were rebuilding in the '06 offseason when he got here. He had capspace, a high pick, a young star and carte blanche - does this sound familiar to anyone? The result? 176-207, 1 winning season, 2 playoff appearnces in 5 years, constantly reshuffled rosters, the best player is gone, and they are rebuilding. Again. Treadmill team? I wish. Treadmill teams at least make the playoffs.

What is it about this time that makes you think it will be any different than the last 5years? What indications has Colangelo given that he has learned a thing? Heck, he spent the entire offseason trying to bring in vets like Chandler, Diaw and Barnes to squeak into the playoffs. Make no mistake, next offseason (if there isn't a lockout) BC will be pursuing a bunch of castoffs trying to grab the 8th seed and if he has to sacrifice young players and picks to do it he will.
                          + posts like yours are what make RR a valuable resource !

make people think, even the 8 year old's on this forum who havnt figured out objectivity yet.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                            I think things have to be put into perspective. The goal he was given when he got here was to keep Chris Bosh happy and try to win a contender around him. They wanted to avoid the losing (to the extent that we are doing this year) so Bosh didn't pull a VC on us. That only turned up to give us mediocrity. BC's hand was forced because ownership wanted him to do everything in his power to keep that guy here. Can we really argue that he didn't try?

Now he can build up the right way. We have a few nice players to build on and a high draft pick coming up. Possibly someone who can push us over the edge. I like where things are going with the franchise. If you only look at what's going on right now it looks dark and gloomy but there's light at the end of the tunnel. BC has now set us up to move forward and build a franchise that can win for a number of years and not just a single season. That's what we really want as a fan base, right? I think they should extend him and let him move forward with this plan. If he was told to build around Bosh, then he now should get the chance to build without him. If he fails and we have 1 or 2 more seasons without improvement, then he's got to go. The worst thing to do in that scenario is give him an expiry date that sees him making radical moves to put something together.
                            he wasn't told to build around bosh, he CHOSE to build around bosh...

and if he couldnt figure out that bosh wasn't the guy to build around, as the GM it's HIS JOB to convince ownership that the team is better off by trading him.

BC CHOSE to build around bosh and even went as far as signing JJ.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                              I agree... that now is the best time to release him. I don't understand this thought process of, 'well, now he has time to rebuild. let him do a rebuild and see...'. The Raps were rebuilding in the '06 offseason when he got here. He had capspace, a high pick, a young star and carte blanche - does this sound familiar to anyone? The result? 176-207, 1 winning season, 2 playoff appearnces in 5 years, constantly reshuffled rosters, the best player is gone, and they are rebuilding. Again. Treadmill team? I wish. Treadmill teams at least make the playoffs.

What is it about this time that makes you think it will be any different than the last 5years? What indications has Colangelo given that he has learned a thing? Heck, he spent the entire offseason trying to bring in vets like Chandler, Diaw and Barnes to squeak into the playoffs. Make no mistake, next offseason (if there isn't a lockout) BC will be pursuing a bunch of castoffs trying to grab the 8th seed and if he has to sacrifice young players and picks to do it he will.
                              Missed reading this in detail initally but upon reading it now, I think that for all who support BC's rebuilding efforts the attempted trades during the offseason is indicative of his ever changing mentality. He was trying to squeak into the playoffs again and then changed his mind on the fly during the year when he realized resistance to losing was futile due to the talent he has assembled.

Exceptional post.

Comment

Face the facts. If that trade for Chandler and Diaw had occured, this team would be awesome. No Jose, JJ running the point, most likely would've linked up Barbosa anyways for Turk so Barbo as the backup PG.

Don't hate on BC, hate on the dbag Michael Jordan.

Also, bet on seeing MJ suit up for Charlotte next year. Don't believe me? At 49 he will try for the comeback, just watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X