Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Rumors/News: Barbosa And Evans On The Block? (see post #257)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slaw wrote: View Post
    Well, he's not Sonny Weems, so that's good news.
    Agreed. Sonny is a SG playing SF. Johnson is a true SF - and a big one at that.

Comment

• Raptors Acquire James Johnson

The Chicago Bulls announced today that the team has assigned the contract of forward James Johnson to the Toronto Raptors in exchange for Miami’s 2011 regular first-round draft choice held by Toronto.

Johnson (6-9, 245) appeared in 13 games this season and averaged 3.2 ppg, 1.8 rpg,1.1 apg, 9.5 mpg, and shot .415 from the field. Last season, during his rookie campaign, Johnson played in 65 games (11 starts) and posted averages of 3.9 ppg and 2.0 rpg in 11.6 mpg and shot .452 from the floor and .729 from the free throw line.

Johnson played two seasons at Wake Forest and was selected by Chicago in the first round (16th overall) of the 2009 NBA Draft.
      http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...#ixzz1EjVhsfof
      http://twitter.com/#!/KCJHoop/status/40181865688207360

Anyone know anything about this guy?

Comment

• Breaking News: Raptors trade Miami 1st Round Pick for James Johnson

Source

http://twitter.com/chicagobulls/stat...86578127036416

Considering Raps almost drafted Johnson over DD this is quite the deal for BryCo

Comment

• Yes! Great trade! Was hoping for a little more if we were going to use the miami pick but im certainly not complaining. Dude has some real potential and could be just the SF we're looking for.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            Well, he's not Sonny Weems, so that's good news. Also, I think this speaks volumes about the Raps view of the draft this year.

I seem to recall that Colangelo was fairly high on this guy leading up to this draft and that they likely would have taken him if they had been drafting in the teens.
            How does it affect him? He's playing as a SG.

Comment

• http://raptorsrepublic.com/forums/sh...son-to-Raptors

Comment

• This also bumps the number of johnsons we have to 3. shrewd trade, all around.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• hmm...like most, i thought JJ for a 2nd rd pick was a steal. it's still a good deal for miami's 1st, since that's pretty much a 2nd rounder (at least in quality) in this year's draft. plus, they don't have to *waste* a pick on a guy who's almost certainly going to be a project or a middling contributor late in the 1st & have to guarantee him a contract. i'm betting that they've been leaning 85-15 towards trading that pick since the deal in the summer.

as for the player...it's always a bit of a concern when a team gives up a former 1st round pick for *nothing*. i mean, if someone had proposed this trade in a thread, it probably would have been laughed at. but CHI is pretty set with deng, so JJ was never going to be anything more than a guy off the bench. i assume part of CHI's motivation is to build assets in order to make a deal for a 2.

that being said...i was high on him when he came out, even if he was an 'older' player. hopefully, he'll give them solid D & some offense, and make both weems & wright irrelevant (btw - i like wright, but not at what his next contract will pay him...at least under the current CBA).

so...onward & upward, i guess. overall, not a bad deal in the least...late 1st rounders in weak drafts can't expect to bring in much.
                  TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                    You do realize he's coming off an injury right? Before he got hurt he was playing good enough to take the starting job away form Klieza. With time you'll see Weems improve. I don't see how you're expecting someone who's coming off an injury to play 100% and improve in a matter of weeks.

BTW I highly doubt we'd get anyone better then Weems (at least potentially) if we were to trade him right now.

I do realize that he hasn't been healthy, but my beef with him is not his (lack of) production, it's his Game. Like I said, he is not playing a team game, making the right pass, taking the smart shots. He's looking for his points first (contract year, Hello!) and has not shown the mental improvement in his game worthy of a new contract. Hence, if the Raps aren't going to give him a new contract, they should try to move him, for whatever. As far as getting someone better to replace him, I'd rather see Wright get the minutes, as I love his defensive game, or the Raps could draft a SF, or, BREAKING; they could trade for one.
                    I wonder where Weem's minutes are going to go now?

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      This also bumps the number of johnsons we have to 3. shrewd trade, all around.
                      I don't think Trey is around anymore. His 10 day would have expired. Trey gave the Raps 15 players. No way to get James without a roster spot and no player in exchange.

Comment

• hopefully they start him so he can get some burn in with the starters before the season is done. see what he can do. should start bayless too, or at least give him the bulk of minutes.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• matt52 wrote: View Post
                          i don't think trey is around anymore. His 10 day would have expired. Trey gave the raps 15 players. No way to get james without a roster spot and no player in exchange.

blast!
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                            How does it affect him? He's playing as a SG.
                            really? who's that joey-graham-looking dude that's been starting at the 3 since kleiza went down? i guess it's splitting hairs somewhat when both DD & weems start, but it's weems who's usually defending the opponent's 3. so, yeah, he (weems) has been playing the SF. unfortunately, i somewhat doubt that will change. here's hoping JJ gets some serious burn over the remainder of the season, so they don't have to waste any more time on weems. he had a shot, and didn't make anything of it.

enjoy russia, sonny!
                            Last edited by yertu damkule; Tue Feb 22, 2011, 08:02 PM.
                            TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• i dunno about you guys but i'd cut alabi over trey
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• i think this is a reasonable trade, james johnson brings potential and is good at defense.

Comment

Working...
                                X