Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trade Deadline Rumors/News: Barbosa And Evans On The Block? (see post #257)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• karim_nasir wrote: View Post
    none of us know
    Miss Cleo might.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
      Those guys are famous because they WERE drafted late and had a career. No one said it's not possible to find guys late, but the chances are so low it's like playing the lottery. EVen the great GMs, more often than not, come out with nothing late in the draft. Yes, even San Antonio, who is, by far, the best.

Such a perfect set of circumstances have to exist for a team to find a gem low. People always like to bring up examples like those you mentioned, but for every 1 or 2 drafted late that do blossom, literally 30 to 40 times as many don't even play 5 years.
      i agree, but i just wanted to clarify another poster's comment that JJ will be better than anything that could possibly be drafted with a late 20's pick, which isnt always the case.

Comment

agree, but to say that 100% james johnson is better than anything that we would have drafted with that pick, is not entirely true...

none of us know
        The talent level between Johnson and a guy who might be available at that pick is thought to be pretty big - hence why the deal was made. I know Colangelo was high on Johnson in 2009 and a lot of mocks had Johnson going 9 to Toronto. So be thought of as someone who has enough talent to be considered a top-10 picks in a lot of mocks leading up to the draft, swapping him for a pick that's gonna be in the high 20s is a good risk.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Miss Cleo might.

Call me now, child for your free tarot reading.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
            The talent level between Johnson and a guy who might be available at that pick is thought to be pretty big - hence why the deal was made. I know Colangelo was high on Johnson in 2009 and a lot of mocks had Johnson going 9 to Toronto. So be thought of as someone who has enough talent to be considered a top-10 picks in a lot of mocks leading up to the draft, swapping him for a pick that's gonna be in the high 20s is a good risk.
            id rather just keep the pick n draft a big... its too hard to get good bigs through trades or free agency, so the draft is one of the best places to find them...

Comment

id rather just keep the pick n draft a big... its too hard to get good bigs through trades or free agency, so the draft is one of the best places to find them...
              Skilled bigs are at a premium, so if there is a good one, they are usually gone in the lotto and mid-late teens. Good bigs floating around the late 20s is a rarity. The ones you find 25 and lower, more often than not, they're bigtime projects, and take minimum 3-4 years to develop, that is, if they're able to stick. The Raps already have two project bigs - Ajinca and Alabi.

Comment

Skilled bigs are at a premium, so if there is a good one, they are usually gone in the lotto and mid-late teens. Good bigs floating around the late 20s is a rarity. The ones you find 25 and lower, more often than not, they're bigtime projects, and take minimum 3-4 years to develop, that is, if they're able to stick. The Raps already have two project bigs - Ajinca and Alabi.
                yea but there are still a lot of decent bigs who get drafted in the late 20's or second round... just in the last few years we've seen milsap, landry, big baby, mcroberts, fesenko, m gasol, ryan anderson, koufos, ibaka, batum, deandre jordan, omer asik, mbah a moute, taj gibson, dujuan blair, landry fields (2nd round 2010 39th overall)...

yea its hit and miss, but you can never have too many decent bigs... and why limit yoursef right ?

Comment

yea but there are still a lot of decent bigs who get drafted in the late 20's or second round... just in the last few years we've seen milsap, landry, big baby, mcroberts, fesenko, m gasol, ryan anderson, koufos, ibaka, batum, deandre jordan, omer asik, mbah a moute, taj gibson, dujuan blair, landry fields (2nd round 2010 39th overall)...

yea its hit and miss, but you can never have too many decent bigs... and why limit yoursef right ?
                  Out of the guys you've listed, Batum, Mbah a Moute and Fields aren't bigs.
                  And the other guys you've mentioned aren't star players by any means (and out of that list I'd say out of that list, only Ibaka has a chance to be a star), but they're decent role players for their teams. So tell me what's the difference between the guys you've mentioned and Johnson? At worst, he's another role player too.
                  Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Feb 22, 2011, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Out of the guys you've listed, Batum, Mbah a Moute and Fields aren't bigs.
                    And the other guys you've mentioned aren't star players by any means (and out of that list I'd say out of that list, only Ibaka has a chance to be a star), but they're decent role players for their teams. So tell me what's the difference between the guys you've mentioned and Johnson? At worst, he's another role player too.
                    that't the thing tho... who said anything about having to draft a star ? just need a decent role player... and batum, mbah a mouite, and fields all have played PF this season at some point...

you're more likely to get a decent role player through the draft then by trading for a former 1st round pick whoze team has given up on him

how often to players drafted in the 1st round get traded two years into their careers and turn into something ?/

not many...

Comment

So tell me what's the difference between the guys you've mentioned and Johnson? At worst, he's another role player too.
                      They are all better than Johson !!!

Even in Chicago, they have Gibson which was their 26 th pick getting 20+ minute to play while Johnson was sent to D-League. if that is not a cause for concern, I don't know what is.

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

Even in Chicago, they have Gibson which was their 26 th pick getting 20+ minute to play while Johnson was sent to D-League. if that is not a cause for concern, I don't know what is.
                        and omer asik...

Comment

that't the thing tho... who said anything about having to draft a star ? just need a decent role player... and batum, mbah a mouite, and fields all have played PF this season at some point...

you're more likely to get a decent role player through the draft then by trading for a former 1st round pick whoze team has given up on him

how often to players drafted in the 1st round get traded two years into their careers and turn into something ?/

not many...
                          So what are we arguing about? Possible role players? You're upset that we acquired someone who at worst is a role player when we could have drafted a role player in the high 20's anyways?

Comment

• Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post

He played 11 minutes per last season. I think you're writing him off a bit too quick.

Comment

So what are we arguing about? Possible role players? You're upset that we acquired someone who at worst is a role player when we could have drafted a role player in the high 20's anyways?
                              look up roy hibbert. bc was probably like ahh w/e, that 17th pick wont amount to anything anyway, here you go indiana...

little things like this is what separates the chronic lottery teams from the champs.

Comment

• A friend of mine was really high on James Johnson coming out of college. I didn't think he put in the work to be a good NBA player cause he does have all the skills to be good. A first round draft pick I think is too much for this guy but it's Miami pick so the raps may not think there will be any players at that spot in the draft. I am not excited about the trade he has to earn a spot in the regular rotation

Comment

Working...
                                X