No announcement yet.

James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird stuff happening here. All in all it shouldn't affect his future too much I think. What will affect it more is how the draft and free agency play out. JJ has made too much progress to simply give up on, unless he ninja kicked Casey in the back of the head or something. He's tightened his game and is the best one on one defender on the team. Really, he should stay pretty cheap too, so I really just assume this was a blip, and that they'll give him every opportunity to finish the season strong and take it from there.

Comment

• http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...JJPOST-2059353

Comment

• There must have been an obvious no-no that JJ committed. No sense in conjecturing. But I am glad Casey nipped it in the bud. It also sends a message to the rest of the team (team comes first culture Casey is trying to instill). No more Hedo-isms which he got away with with Triano.

Comment

• JJ probably wants to play 36 min. per game

My guess is that since he is playing so well as of late, he used this opportunity to be a little too demanding with coach Casey in desiring a greater role on the team than a "defensive stopper". Casey didn't give in right away and they had a "disagreement" hence the benching.

I would also like to note that if James Johnson's number are around average he will be much cheaper to resign than if he was putting up better numbers (which he would be doing if he was playing 36 min. a game and not 24). I think raptors want to sign him to an offer sheet that is not that lucrative and him playing 24 min. a game not drawing too much attention from other teams suits their needs. This might just be speculation on my part, but my gut tells me this is the smart move.

I know everyone is so hot on drafting a 3 who is sure to be a star in this league ... but I think JJ is a good player who we definitely want to bring back.
          "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
            This might just be speculation on my part
            might be. haha

Comment

My guess is that since he is playing so well as of late, he used this opportunity to be a little too demanding with coach Casey in desiring a greater role on the team than a "defensive stopper". Casey didn't give in right away and they had a "disagreement" hence the benching.

I would also like to note that if James Johnson's number are around average he will be much cheaper to resign than if he was putting up better numbers (which he would be doing if he was playing 36 min. a game and not 24). I think raptors want to sign him to an offer sheet that is not that lucrative and him playing 24 min. a game not drawing too much attention from other teams suits their needs. This might just be speculation on my part, but my gut tells me this is the smart move.

I know everyone is so hot on drafting a 3 who is sure to be a star in this league ... but I think JJ is a good player who we definitely want to bring back.
              Considering the Raptors have him under contract for 2012-13 and then have a qualifying offer on him for 2013-14 and the right to match any offer from 2013-14 onwards, the Raptors are not playing him so they won't have to pay him in the summer of 2014?

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Considering the Raptors have him under contract for 2012-13 and then have a qualifying offer on him for 2013-14 and the right to match any offer from 2013-14 onwards, the Raptors are not playing him so they won't have to pay him in the summer of 2014?
                lol omg. I thought he was a FA at the end of this year, my bad.

Comment

• JJ

JJ is Dwane's lockdown defender. Dwane has 10 days left to evaluate the team for 2013. Might I suggest he's using this time to determine if any other player is ready to rise ( like cream ) to the defensive surface of this glass of milk? So, Dwane sits James and watches what the rest can do without him. Let's face it - JJ isn't going to make the 2013 roster based on his offense so Dwane wants to know if JJ is so good that he needs to keep him for his D.

Comment

• JJ is pretty stacked if you ask me though, a solid two way player who still hasn't peaked by any means. He can be a good contributor for years to come.

Comment

• Did JJ's demeanour and play last night cause anyone else to get extremely pissed off?

In my opinion, he looked like a sulking kid and his game was reminiscent of the start of the year i.e. trying to do too much.

Comment

• He was chucking, too. I HATE chuckers.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Also, stop calling him a lockdown defender. He's no lockdown defender.
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                            Also, stop calling him a lockdown defender. He's no lockdown defender.
                            Lebron (and Magic in his day) can defend 4 positions. I was watching Shumpert, Fields and Melo defend at 3 different positions successfully against Derek rose's bulls in the first half.

Why can't JJ be our man to do that? He has good height, quickness and athleticism to defend at 3 positions. Very useful player on a rotation when Demar and Bargnani are our starters. He can also protect our basket - 1.4 BPG against Bargnani's pathetic 0.4.

Comment

• draftedraptor wrote: View Post
                              Lebron (and Magic in his day) can defend 4 positions. I was watching Shumpert, Fields and Melo defend at 3 different positions successfully against Derek rose's bulls in the first half.

Why can't JJ be our man to do that? He has good height, quickness and athleticism to defend at 3 positions. Very useful player on a rotation when Demar and Bargnani are our starters. He can also protect our basket - 1.4 BPG against Bargnani's pathetic 0.4.
                              Height, quickness, and athleticism is useless if you don't have a brain and the attitude to get the most from it. A perfect example is JaVale McGee.

I really don't know what is going on with James Johnson but from watching the game last night, he needs to know his role and shut the f*ck up.

Comment

JJ is pretty stacked if you ask me though, a solid two way player who still hasn't peaked by any means. He can be a good contributor for years to come.
                                JJ is far from a "solid two way player". His offense is nothing short of horrendous (and that's factoring in his improvement from last year).

Comment

Working...
                                X