James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ceez wrote: View Post
    Nice bounce back from our man. About a month ago a lot of us were questioning if he was a piece to move forward with but I think he's shown he certainly is. Casey made his point, JJ swallowed it and he's been arguably our best player since.

He's played excellent coming off the bench, playing the 4 and could even start if the team doesn't address the 3 positionin the draft/free agency. I'm one of the few that has no problem seeing Kleiza go and it's because of what JJ brings to the table, which is vastly superior and with all the bigs we'll have next year, makes him redundant.

I don't agree with many that he's a "lockdown defender" or "defensive cornerstone" as Chisholm said, but he's certainly relentless and can cause havoc on any given night, which is good enough for me.

I hope he's a raptor for years to come.
    i fear that his spat with Casey, along with inconsistent minutes, is gonna make him leave. I really liked him this season and can be a really good role player for us moving forward.

Comment

• Very high on JJ. An improving wing tandem of Derozan and Johnson in the future is something that is very intriguing. Or if we draft a small forward, play JJ at the four, and create some type of versatility, it would be fun to watch. And wouldn't take anything away defensively.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• At the very least an improving JJ with the numbers he can put up could fool a GM into acquiring him for above his value...

Comment

• If JJ accepts his role off the bench and plays balls out doing it, then keep him around.

I fear when he gets paid after his rookie deal, he stops giving a sh!t. I don't know why, I just get that vibe off him.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            If JJ accepts his role off the bench and plays balls out doing it, then keep him around.

I fear when he gets paid after his rookie deal, he stops giving a sh!t. I don't know why, I just get that vibe off him.
            I am not sure I agree, I think he does, and will care. In Chicago he was not given an opportunity, nor was he developed as a player, I think that soured him a little and caused him to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. With Toronto he has been given a chance to play and grow as a player, the tough love Casey showed him I think has been a positive rather than a negative. With an off season further defining his role and honing his skills, James could be one of the top 6th men in the league moving forward, getting time at the 3 and 4 spots. His versatility will keep in the rotation, and the staff will keep him focused.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              ...and the staff will keep him focused.
              What we all hope and wish for.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                What we all hope and wish for.
                I think we have the right people for the job, and that is key!
                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I think we have the right people for the job, and that is key!
                  Amen. Casey and Alex might be the two most important acquisitions BC has made. I have less of a feeling for what the other guys do, though I must admit I like seeing how engaged the assistants are during games and the way they are always pulling players aside to have a word with them. And the way the players seem to be respectfully listening.

Come to think of it, I don't think I recall seeing that kind of sideline conversation going on with other teams. Has anyone noticed? Or is it something more common on the Raps?

Comment

I am not sure I agree, I think he does, and will care. In Chicago he was not given an opportunity, nor was he developed as a player, I think that soured him a little and caused him to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder. With Toronto he has been given a chance to play and grow as a player, the tough love Casey showed him I think has been a positive rather than a negative. With an off season further defining his role and honing his skills, James could be one of the top 6th men in the league moving forward, getting time at the 3 and 4 spots. His versatility will keep in the rotation, and the staff will keep him focused.
                    Rationally, I agree with your statements. It all stems from his ability to accept the bench role.

Irrationally, I can't shake that vibe. I have no grounds for it - just a vibe.

Comment

• Sorry, I don't put stock in late-season revivals for players in non-playoff teams.

Comment

• I am not just looking at his late season play, but rather his whole season of work. He brings things to the table that some of our other wings don't have. He is already a decent defender, able to guard multiple positions, shows passable handles, sees the floor, and has put in lots of work on fixing his shot during the season...with results.

By no means do I think he is our savior at the 3 spot moving forward, but I do feel he could be a valuable rotational player on a good basketball team.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                          Sorry, I don't put stock in late-season revivals for players in non-playoff teams.
                          lol, exactly.

Everything we've seen from JJ over the past 4 weeks should be taken with a GIANT grain of salt.

Either way, he's not our solution at SF. He's a decent bench player capable of playing SF/PF, but I don't see him having more than a JYD-type role on a playoff bound team.

I'm not saying get rid of the guy. I'm just saying that he likely won't reach his "potential", because next season, wins will actually matter, and living through JJ's learning curve will be a luxury Casey cannot afford. JJ will be turning 26 next year. He's no longer a raw kid with a plethora of time to improve his game.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                            lol, exactly.

Everything we've seen from JJ over the past 4 weeks should be taken with a GIANT grain of salt.

Either way, he's not our solution at SF. He's a decent bench player capable of playing SF/PF, but I don't see him having more than a JYD-type role on a playoff bound team.

I'm not saying get rid of the guy. I'm just saying that he likely won't reach his "potential", because next season, wins will actually matter, and living through JJ's learning curve will be a luxury Casey cannot afford. JJ will be turning 26 next year. Not exactly a raw kid with a plethora of time to improve his game.
                            I think that is what WJF and myself see for him. He is an energy reserve at the 3/4 spot (sorry if I put words in your mouth WJF).

If he dreams of bigger things than that, I hope the Raptors send him packing. He is not the answer to the starting SF puzzle.

Comment

• I feel completely indifferent about JJ. I think his defense is overrated and would be happy to see him moved as part of a deal to land an additional 1st round pick or a wing upgrade (ie: S&T to get Batum or Mayo, or a trade for somebody like Gay or Matthews).

If JJ is still a Raptor next season, I seriously hope he's not a starter. If his ego could deal with it, I think he could be quite effective as a JYD type backup, bringing energy, defense and rebounding off the bench. Assuming either Amir/Davis gets traded and hoping for a top wing to be drafted (MKG/Barnes or Beal, with DD moving to SF), I would be fine with a PF/SF depth chart looking like this:

PF: Bargnani, Amir/Davis, Kleiza
                              SF: MKG/Barnes/DeRozan, JJ, Kleiza

I think that lineup would give Casey a lot of flexibility to throw out various lineup combinations at the 3/4 spots, creating all sorts of different looks for the opposition to deal with.

Comment

• JJ still has another year left on his rookie contract. Plenty of time to get a better feel for any improvement or character/role acceptance. A good backup option to have at the very least. Can anyone think of another SF/PF (versatility) backup in the league who is better, as young/cheap or has the potential to get better?

Comment

Working...
                                X