James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tonious35 wrote: View Post
    With how bad Colangelo evaluates late picks lately, and how bad Triano's coaching system is... we will not crush the dreams of a bright-eyed, late round pick player waiting for a golden opportunity.
    What draft picks has BC evaluated badly 'lately'?

Davis in 2010?
    DeRozan in 2009?
    Bargnani in 2006?
    PJ Tucker in 2006?

The above are the only picks BC has made for the Raps in his time here. And Bargnani would not classify as lately for me given it was 5 years ago now (and I actually don't consider him a bad pick).

Comment

• Many are also discounting that the Raptors should have a high 2nd in this draft. This will be not that far from the 1st given up for JJ. So, the proverbial nugget can still be found. Of course we dont have a very good record here. As well giving up that first avoids the mandatory salary commitment to a drafted 1st rounder who might also endup being a bonafide dud. At least here we know that JJ does have some juice. Consistency is what is in question imo.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
        Many are also discounting that the Raptors should have a high 2nd in this draft. This will be not that far from the 1st given up for JJ. So, the proverbial nugget can still be found. Of course we dont have a very good record here. As well giving up that first avoids the mandatory salary commitment to a drafted 1st rounder who might also endup being a bonafide dud. At least here we know that JJ does have some juice. Consistency is what is in question imo.
        DET has our 2nd round from the Delfino trade (2009/2011 2nd rd picks for Delfino).

Delfino of course became Weems and Johnson.

Comment

• Can the real JJ please stand up

Comment

• Bryan Colangelo Raptors GM with Bob McCown and Stephen Brunt (Fan interview)

If you don't have HTML5 compatible browser click here
            Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Fri Feb 25, 2011, 10:40 PM.

Comment

• It's almost guaranteed there WILL be at least one player better than James Johnson drafted 28th or later. Take a look at a few recent weak drafts. Bargnani's year: Paul Millsap & Daniel Gibson, drafted in the 2nd round. Kwame Brown's year: Arenas, Okur & Tony Parker all drafted 28th or later. Kenyon Martin year: Michael Redd - 2nd round.

Edit: Last year's draft was also weak, so you can add Landry Fields to that list.

Sort of a dumb statement by BC, and not really necessary. Sounding a bit defensive, IMO.
              Last edited by golden; Sat Feb 26, 2011, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Yes its true that you aren't likely to get a good player at the 28-29 pick, however what has Johnson done other then being drafted 16th overall to warrant such a high praise?! so far JJ seems like a dime a dozen player. I guess the Bulls are wrong and didn't "see it" just like the Hornets were wrong and didn't see Julian Wright potential and that's why BC had to jump the gun and trade Bellineli for him?!

I would have waited with the pick and seen who can I pick with it or attempted to trade/package it with another deal.

Michael Beasley would have been a better choice to accept from Miami then the pick from Miami who ended up netting us JJ, am I wrong here?!

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  Michael Beasley would have been a better choice to accept from Miami then the pick from Miami who ended up netting us JJ, am I wrong here?!
                  Now that's an interesting point that I had forgotten. If it is true that we could have gotten Beasley instead of the pick, then hindsight (given Beasley's production for the T-Wolves this year) would certainly state that Beasley would have been the better choice.

But there is no guarantee that Beasley would have done as well here. I have worked for extended periods in Minnesota and (no offense Minnesota) there are nowhere near as many distractions there as there are here in T.O. Toronto could have turned out to be as bad an environment to play in for Beasley as Miami turned out to be. Guess we will never know, but that was a great point you brought up!

Comment

• ErnieD wrote: View Post
                    Now that's an interesting point that I had forgotten. If it is true that we could have gotten Beasley instead of the pick, then hindsight (given Beasley's production for the T-Wolves this year) would certainly state that Beasley would have been the better choice.

But there is no guarantee that Beasley would have done as well here. I have worked for extended periods in Minnesota and (no offense Minnesota) there are nowhere near as many distractions there as there are here in T.O. Toronto could have turned out to be as bad an environment to play in for Beasley as Miami turned out to be. Guess we will never know, but that was a great point you brought up!
                    i've said it a hundred times, and i'll say it again.. toronto would destroy beasley

it doesnt take long for a visitor to realize you can buy ganj and like 80% of the coffee times here

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      What draft picks has BC evaluated badly 'lately'?

Davis in 2010?
                      DeRozan in 2009?
                      Bargnani in 2006?
                      PJ Tucker in 2006?

The above are the only picks BC has made for the Raps in his time here. And Bargnani would not classify as lately for me given it was 5 years ago now (and I actually don't consider him a bad pick).
                      For a few years already we have no 2nd round picks, and very late 1st rounders for us to use.

I can understand that. The Raptors just need to create opportunities that they can find a solid rotational players from the 2nd round and late first round by giving those late picks the chance and seeing if they are able to achieve. It will serve as a positive message and confidence for the fans, like us, that our scouting department is much deeper than what we thought.

I remember PJ Tucker, that guy played hard, but was given such a short end of the stick because he was so short.

Bargnani at least is a productive draft pick, but like Andrew Bogut, he can only fulfill only so much as a 7'0" player with their skill set and cannot carry a team to the playoffs like Lebron. I guess because of Brandon Roy's injury, I am more content to let go that Brandon Roy could of been picked by us.

Comment

• heinz57 wrote: View Post
                        i've said it a hundred times, and i'll say it again.. toronto would destroy beasley

it doesnt take long for a visitor to realize you can buy ganj and like 80% of the coffee times here
                        Besides the cannibus and club availability in TO, there is something about Beasley's game that would make our team as frustrating and bad to watch as now. There is just no discipline in Beasly's game, so he can nail long two's and rebound plenty, but I can't see this guy taking accountability in our defense and locker room. It's like this guy cannot take things seriously at all.

Comment

• Employee wrote: View Post
                          Dude read my post again. I said weak DRAFT, not weak draft PICK.

It's gonna be even harder to find a sleeper this year. Look at BC's history of drafting in the 2nd round. And not just with the Raps.

And Gar Foreman?? Is he on the Rap's payroll? What's your point? And why would I ask Tim Duncan about weak draft picks? Is he a scout or something?
                          My point about Gar Forman and the Bulls is that nobody outside of the Bulls was really expecting Taj Gibson to make such an impact as a rookie. Considering that Vinny Del Negro was still coaching that team, Taj worked his way up the food chain and got a starting bid to contribute to that team.

I count Tim Duncan because he is the true captain of the Spurs team and he does evaluate with the coach if the new player is on the same page with the team.

I misinterpreted your Weak Draft... but it still means that ppl should ignore the draft class of 2011, which I find hard to accept.

It might not have a Derrick Rose, a Brandon Roy, Tyreke Evans, an OJ Mayo, or a Blake Griffin, but I am not going to believe that sh#t at all that the coming draft class is "weak" as hell. Some player in this weak draft after the 20th overall and from the 2nd round will do more damage than the top 10 picks next year. Either because the coach, the system, or the environment of the team they joined made them unleash their talent the best way.

It's out of our hands on player evaluation, but I hope we make use of a 2nd round pick for this draft.
                          Last edited by tonious35; Sun Feb 27, 2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

There is just no discipline in Beasly's game, so he can nail long two's and rebound plenty, but I can't see this guy taking accountability in our defense and locker room.
                            He averages 19.5/5.6. We already have a guy doing that. He does not rebound and he does not play defense. He is a volume scorer.

Comment

• Beasley is one of 'no props' best friends, so I was little surprised when the Raptors didn't accept him.
                              -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                              -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

My point about Gar Forman and the Bulls is that nobody outside of the Bulls was really expecting Taj Gibson to make such an impact as a rookie. Considering that Vinny Del Negro was still coaching that team, Taj worked his way up the food chain and got a starting bid to contribute to that team.

I count Tim Duncan because he is the true captain of the Spurs team and he does evaluate with the coach if the new player is on the same page with the team.

I misinterpreted your Weak Draft... but it still means that ppl should ignore the draft class of 2011, which I find hard to accept.

It might not have a Derrick Rose, a Brandon Roy, Tyreke Evans, an OJ Mayo, or a Blake Griffin, but I am not going to believe that sh#t at all that the coming draft class is "weak" as hell. Some player in this weak draft after the 20th overall and from the 2nd round will do more damage than the top 10 picks next year. Either because the coach, the system, or the environment of the team they joined made them unleash their talent the best way.

It's out of our hands on player evaluation, but I hope we make use of a 2nd round pick for this draft.
                                Of course ya can't ignore the draft. I agree. Is there gonna be sleepers? Of course. But you play your odds. BC thinks that the odds of JJ being a good player is greater then him finding a sleeper in a weak draft.

It's as simple as that.
                                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Working...
                                X