Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors trying to keep ACC filled

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas.../17444131.html

In the early stages of a rebuild and with a potential lockout looming, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, Ltd. is doing its best to appease its most loyal basketball customers.

In a surprising move for an ownership group that has always been far more likely to raise rather than lower ticket prices, season ticket holders will benefit from renewing in a variety of ways over the next couple of years.

Most notably, prices for the 2010-11 season (if there is one) will be significantly cheaper.

According to MLSEL chief operating officer Tom Anselmi, lower bowl season seats will be dropped anywhere between 5-30% while upper bowl ducats will fall in the 10-almost-40% range, prices not seen since the dismal Rob Babcock era.

In an even bigger surprise: “We are freezing prices for 2012-13 and will pay out interest if there is a work stoppage next season,” Anselmi added.

The team will also be bringing back its draft party and various other “loyalty packages.”

“We’re doing a bunch of things to reward loyalty.” Anselmi said.

It is a wise move. While there is some intriguing young talent on hand, the NBA is as star-driven as ever and the Raptors are still a couple of standout players away from becoming relevant again. It might take a while until that happens, so keeping prices down is a sound decision for a franchise that has one playoff series win to its credit over its first 16 years.

The Raptors have slipped to 17th in average attendance (the team’s lowest mark since the 2005-06 season), are drawing 1,350 less fans per game than a season ago, about 2,200 less than during the 2008-09 campaign and about 3,000 less than in 2007-08.

In an attempt to woo fans that aren’t season seat holders, MLSEL will also be introducing dynamic pricing after experimenting with it in some sections this season.

“There are some trouble sections, we want to renew and grow and get a full building again,” Anselmi explained.

More than just season-ticket holders will benefit though.

Prices for single games will be set at the beginning of the campaign, but they will fluctuate on a monthly — and at times, even weekly — basis depending on calibre of opponent, day of the week and other factors.

Meaning those hoping to catch the Miami Heat’s all-star collection will pay significantly more than those still strangely infatuated with teams like the lowly, LeBron-less Cleveland Cavaliers.

“There is a floor,” cautioned Anselmi. “(Single-game buyers) never will pay less than season-seat holders.”

Anselmi referred updates on the status of Raptors general manager/president Bryan Colangelo to CEO Richard Peddie, but the belief remains that Colangelo will continue to be the architect of the Raptors as they attempt to turn things around.

At the gate and otherwise.

Cool.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Shouldn't that be the 2011-12 season? The writer probably wishes this season did not occur

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
        Shouldn't that be the 2011-12 season? The writer probably wishes this season did not occur
        haha Good eye. Unless of course, like you said, he had some deep, philosophical meaning to it.

Comment

If MLSE were not rewarding bad performance by BC and Jay Triano and banking on the fact that Raptors fans are Maple Leaf fans that sellout a loser's (Maple Leafs) game, they will not be having huge problems attracting fans. Fans want winning, the organisation should get that(If it means firing BC and Jay Triano to get fans on their side, MLSE should do it. Besides, they can go cheap at GM($1-2m per year) by tabbing an assistant GM from small market(like us) winning teams in the league in San Antonio Spurs, Portland Trailblazers and Oklahoma City Thunder and only have to pay through the nose to get Nate Mcmillan, Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Woodson in that order as the new head coach. It is a business MLSE, stop rewarding bad performance(we all don't get rewarded for bad performances at our places of work anyway unless you are the workplace darling(like Bargs is lol, I don't have anything to say if you are a workplace darling )). My 2 cents.
          Last edited by smushmush; Tue Mar 1, 2011, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
            I think they're lowering prices for 2011-2012 and freezing them after that in 2012-2013. If they froze the prices now then they couldn't really lower them.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
              If MLSE were not rewarding bad performance by BC and Jay Triano and banking on the fact that Raptors fans are Maple Leaf fans that sellout a loser's (Maple Leafs) game, they will not be having huge problems attracting fans. Fans want winning, the organisation should get that(If it means firing BC and Jay Triano to get fans on their side, MLSE should do it. Besides, they can go cheap at GM($1-2m per year) by tabbing an assistant GM from small market(like us) winning teams in the league in San Antonio Spurs, Portland Trailblazers and Oklahoma City Thunder and only have to pay through the nose to get Nate Mcmillan, Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Woodson in that order as the new head coach. It is a business MLSE, stop rewarding bad performance(we all don't get rewarded for bad performances at our places of work anyway unless you are the workplace darling(like Bargs is lol, I don't have anything to say if you are a workplace darling )). My 2 cents.

Like Danny Ferry in CLE? Assistant GM's from the Spurs is no guarantee.

Comment

I was a Raptors season ticket holder for 15 years (owned or shared season seats). This season I did not renew and I haven't regretted my decision at all.

The greedy bastards at MLSE make me laugh. Suddenly they've found religion and season ticket holder 'loyalty' is the buzz word of the day.

Give me a break. Loyalty only becomes an issue when MLSE is struggling to put butts in the seats.

The minute the team becomes competitive again, I guarantee those loyalty perks (meet & greet, draft day party, SSH gifts, etc.) will disappear and MLSE will revert to being the same arrogant group of bandits they have always been.

I understand that MLSE is a private company that wants to make money, but based on the organization's history of mediocre customer service - this latest commitment to 'loyalty' is a joke.

MLSE begged me to hang on during the Babcock years and promised they would reward my loyalty. Guess what? MLSE had "nothing" for me once they made the play-offs in 2006. Loyalty? Suddenly, no one at MLSE knew what the word meant.

Today, the Raptors are struggling at the box office and Anselmi et al have decided that it's time to play the "loyalty' card again. Sorry, but this time I'm not buying it.

Comment

RaptorTalk wrote: View Post
                  I was a Raptors season ticket holder for 15 years (owned or shared season seats). This season I did not renew and I haven't regretted my decision at all.

The greedy bastards at MLSE make me laugh. Suddenly they've found religion and season ticket holder 'loyalty' is the buzz word of the day.

Give me a break. Loyalty only becomes an issue when MLSE is struggling to put butts in the seats.

The minute the team becomes competitive again, I guarantee those loyalty perks (meet & greet, draft day party, SSH gifts, etc.) will disappear and MLSE will revert to being the same arrogant group of bandits they have always been.

I understand that MLSE is a private company that wants to make money, but based on the organization's history of mediocre customer service - this latest commitment to 'loyalty' is a joke.

MLSE begged me to hang on during the Babcock years and promised they would reward my loyalty. Guess what? MLSE had "nothing" for me once they made the play-offs in 2006. Loyalty? Suddenly, no one at MLSE knew what the word meant.

Today, the Raptors are struggling at the box office and Anselmi et al have decided that it's time to play the "loyalty' card again. Sorry, but this time I'm not buying it.
                  +1, Bang on! If MLSE wants their fans back, the Raptors better start winning lol. They should not expect Raptors fans to be like Maple Leafs fans that sell out loser's games. My 2 cents.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Like Danny Ferry in CLE? Assistant GM's from the Spurs is no guarantee.
                    At least, Danny Ferry had a better supporting cast for LBJ (although not good enough for a championship lol but they had deep playoff runs) unlike BC's supporting cast for Bosh that hardly made the playoffs and was a name brand GM. Your point again?

Comment

At least, Danny Ferry had a better supporting cast for LBJ (although not good enough for a championship lol but they had deep playoff runs) unlike BC's supporting cast for Bosh that hardly made the playoffs and was a name brand GM. Your point again?
                      If Danny Ferry had a better Supporting Cast around LBJ, should they not have a better record than us sans-LBJ?

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        If Danny Ferry had a better Supporting Cast around LBJ, should they not have a better record than us sans-LBJ?
                        exactly. seems another BC bashing yet again.

Comment

Danny Ferry had 5 years in CLE with one of the best players in basketball to build around and an owner who gave him a blank cheque. Comparing LBJ to RuPaul as a piece to build around is beyond comprehension. Ferry's acquisitions to build around LBJ all failed - bottom line. Worse than the fact they failed, when LBJ bailed - right before Ferry did - there was nothing left to build with. The Cavs are so screwed in so many ways since LBJ left and that is all based on the home run swings Ferry took year after year. You have to give BC credit for wanting to stick around to see a rebuild done, unlike Ferry, and for having a roster that already has young talent and cap space.

Deep playoff runs? If you mean championship appearance in 2007 - they yes. If you mean 2 second round exits in the last 3 years and a conference final exit mean deep playoff runs, then we have differing meanings of deep playoff runs. Oh yes, and again, the cheque book has been open for years and the team has been built around one of the greatest talents to ever build the game for years.

What was my point again? That an assistant GM from San Antonio (or other well run teams) does not guarantee success as you have been advocating. In fact, it could be much, much worse - evidence: Danny Ferry, Cleveland Cavaliers.

Comment

Working...
                          X