No announcement yet.

Time to Grab Arenas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The history of free agents coming to Toronto is not exactly the whose who of franchise players. Arenas is no where near worth 17M, but he will be undervalued come free agent season.

In a league where no one wants to gamble on an Iverson or Tmac. I see Colangelo having enough vision and fortitude to understand a potential bargain when he sees one. He already has a history of taking reclamation projects, see JO, Marion. I would rather overpay for Arenas in the 10-12 million range than take market value for a second tier free agent who may or may not alter the play off landscape.

Comment

mo-sales wrote: View Post
      The history of free agents coming to Toronto is not exactly the whose who of franchise players. Arenas is no where near worth 17M, but he will be undervalued come free agent season.

In a league where no one wants to gamble on an Iverson or Tmac. I see Colangelo having enough vision and fortitude to understand a potential bargain when he sees one. He already has a history of taking reclamation projects, see JO, Marion. I would rather overpay for Arenas in the 10-12 million range than take market value for a second tier free agent who may or may not alter the play off landscape.
      I don't think anyone will pay Arenas that kind of money. The cap is going to drop and Arenas hasn't shown that he's actually worth the money. He's a good streaky scorer but is injury prone, a bad defender, and not much of a true PG. The guy plays 37+ minutes a game and averages 5.5asts while shooting 42%. Somebody tell me where the value is?

Comment

At 18 million, he is wildly overpaid. At 10-12, isn't he just about right? especially in a league where everyone is overpaid. Arenas's stock is going to be at an all time low after this all blows over. Wouldn't you rather buy low for a proven scorer who is unafraid to take and make the big shot? You also have to hope he matures a lil ala Paul Pierce in the last couple years and realizes that winning a championship is more important than making the front page.

If you pair him with Bosh and Bargs, he won't have to take as many shots and you could see his FG% go up like Kidd in Dallas. In an era where titles are going to be hard to come by if your name isn't Lebron or Kobe, the only chance to win is to hit on a long shot. I'm not saying its not a huge risk, but if the goal is to win a championship than there is no bigger risk/reward than agent zero.

Comment

^ In a perfect world, sure. But I don't see him becoming any more of a player/teammate that he is now, because if it was supposed to happen it would've happened. Judging from his blog musings a year or so back, seeing his play in the post-season, his attitude during the regular season, the terrible relationship with his own team (the injury blame-games were too much), and his dislike for playing defense, I say we've already seen the best of Gilbert Arenas - he's a good streaky scorer.

If we were to go with this type of player, I'd look at Monta Ellis first.

Comment

No, I don't think he is worth 17 mil a year right now; I said 10 million. However, the unguardable All-NBA guy from 2005-2007 certainly was worth that much (in case you didn't watch him play, check out this: http://www.82games.com/0506/05WAS1C.HTM)
            Will Arenas ever return to that level? Quite possibly not... But given that he was performing at a high level after being away from the NBA from 2 years, it didn't seem impossible. Obviously now it is a lot less likely, given this indefinite suspension.

Mo-sales has expressed my sentiment a lot better than I could have. Yes it is a huge risk, but given the chance to also offload all your bad assets and pry away multiple young assets from Washington, it at least merits considering (again, prior to this indefinite suspension.) Obviously you can quibble on how much value Washington sends you back, but surely there must be *some* package that would be worthwhile.

Aresnalist: would you really prefer Monta Ellis at the same salary (10-11 mil year)? He is extremely one-dimensional, cannot play PG, and turns over the ball a LOT. He also cannot shoot from distance, and is hard pressed to create points for you in a half-court setting. Gilbert Arenas even in his current weakened state is vastly superior..

Mo-Sales: There is pretty much no chance of his contract being voided (unless he is convicted of a felony.)

Anyway, perhaps things are a bit too premature right now. But it makes sense to at least monitor the situation and see how it develops...

Comment

I'm not comfortable with the idea of Arenas coming here. He isn't really a distributor and is extremely injury prone. There's questions about his consistency, dedication, and the way he handles himself in a professional setting. I would only want to see him here if it was an absolute ripoff steal of like 5 million a year or something ridiculous.

If we were to go after Washington's talent, I would try to swap Calderon and Caron Butler. Calderon fits into their now gaping point guard scheme, and Caron fits our need for an athletic SF/SG combo not named Antoine Wright. That's looking at things rather simplistically, but at this point, I'm happy letting Jack handle the PG duties and if Washington is crazy enough to make this trade (desperation does funny things to people) then Bosh would definitely have another reason to hang around. A trade for Gilbert Arenas to me is just asking for trouble.

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOO to Arenas, yes to Caron. How sweet would it be to have Caron coming off the bench as a true sixth man and scoring option? I'd bet BC and Triano could convince Caron to come off the bench at this point in his career, if they showed him it would work and the Raps could go deep. Anyone know how Caron stacks up on D?

Comment

Arsenalist, it is hard to disagree with you. All signs point to Gilbert being of those players (i.e Iverson) who never really gets ‘it’ and spend his career blaming his teammates, coaches and or front office for his own failures on the court and off it.

I suppose it comes down to a matter of personal taste. I look at MJ, Kobe and Pierce and I see many of the same selfish, immature, ball hogging and chemistry killing characteristics traits that followed them for years before they won a ring. I look at Gilbert and I have to hope that this debacle will be a crossroads moment for him. That he will grow up, take responsibility for his actions and return to the court with a new sense of purpose and maturity.

Would I prefer Monte, of course. I would take a handful of looming free agents first, but I think you have to take into account the organizations past history of being unable to sign big names. 15 years and our biggest is Hedo and second biggest is Jose. I see Gilbert as the player no one wants and when all the scared rats are leaving a sinking market, that's when a real entrepreneur steps in -- a true visionary.

To Ripp, I think you will be surprised how dedicated the organization and NBA is towards shedding Gilbert from their team. I don’t think the NBA will force them to honor his massive contract and Stern will find a loop hole in the CBA for them to exploit.

Comment

No one wants Arenas, not even before this whole gun thing. He is a selfish, injury prone salary nightmare. He will be suspended for the rest of the season and the Wiz will try everything in their power to revoke his contract. If that happens I might be in favour of signing Agent 0(coincidentally his IQ) to a veterans minimum cuz that is all he is worth until he proves something.
                    limpin ain't easy, but I make it look good...

Comment

Working...
                    X