X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i really don't think williams has the lateral quickness to guard sf's,

Comment

• Perry Jones Staying in School

Baylor freshman Perry Jones III, who likely would have been a top-five pick in the NBA draft, has decided to stay in school.

Jones made the announcement on Monday afternoon on the Baylor campus.

Jones, a 6-foot-11 forward, averaged 13.9 points and 7.2 points last season as the Bears went 18-13. Multiple NBA executives said would have been a top five pick if had had declared for the June NBA draft.

With an NBA lockout looming, many top prospects are expected to stay in school.

Jones was suspended by the NCAA in March for improper benefits from his AAU coach. He missed Baylor's loss to Oklahoma in the Big 12 tournament and will have to sit another five games at the start of the 2011-12 season.
      Source: Foxsports.com

Comment

• I know you just posted a link Apollo, but this is actually from NBA.com about Perry Jones.
        Found that a bit weird. Ya think they wanted him to declare?? haha

Baylor freshman standout Perry Jones is staying in school.

Long expected to be the Bears' first one-and-done player, Jones instead Monday said he was returning to Baylor for his sophomore season, even though he will have to sit out the first five games. He likely would have been one of the top picks in the NBA draft this summer.

"I really believe that I can grow as a player and as a person if I stay one more year at Baylor University. This is a pretty tough decision," said Jones, joined by his parents for the announcement. "It was hard. I mean you see (NBA draft hype) and that is your dream all of your life. You see you can go number one. I mean, it is in the back of my mind but I know that this is the right choice."

Jones said another year of development "can only make things better for me."

The 6-foot-11 forward was the Bears' highest-rated recruit and played up to expectations. He averaged 13.9 points and 7.2 rebounds while starting 30 games, a school freshman record.

"As the basketball player, he has a special God-given ability in size and talent, but what really makes him special is the type of person he is and that is why his teammates were jumping up and down when he said that," Baylor coach Scott Drew said.

Teammates seemed surprised by Jones' decision, including rising senior post Quincy Acy.

"Quincy's jaw dropped," Drew said.

The only senior on this year's team that went 18-13 was leading scorer LaceDarius Dunn.

"The whole college experience with my teammates, that was a big part of this decision, having fun with them. Just enjoying everything, just enjoying life with them," Jones said. "I do not want to cut that short and just leave out of nowhere. I want to have another good time like I did this year."

Jones will miss the first five games next season as part of an NCAA suspension for accepting improper benefits before he enrolled at Baylor.

An NCAA reinstatement committee last month upheld an earlier ruling that declared him ineligible before the Bears played their Big 12 tournament opener March 9. Baylor lost that game, ending its season.

The week after that game, an NCAA reinstatement committee upheld the earlier ruling and enforced a six-game suspension. The Big 12 tournament game he missed counted as part of that.

Jones also was ordered to repay at least $700 in impermissible benefits. That included a trip to California last August to attend an NFL preseason game before he began classes at Baylor. The ruling by the NCAA Committee on Student-Athlete Reinstatement was the final appeal opportunity.

The NCAA said Jones' trip to an NFL game with his AAU coach was provided by an unidentified NFL player, and that the NFL player also provided Jones' parents three separate 15-day loans, all of which were repaid.

Comment

• Kemba Walker of Connecticut Huskies to enter NBA draft

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut's Kemba Walker says the school's decision to put his name and number on the wall of its basketball arena helped him decide it was time to head to the NBA.

"I think from that point out it did, because it was like coach just kicked me out," the junior All-American said. "It says 2008 to 2011 [on the banner], so it was like he's [saying], 'Let's get him out of here.' "

Walker announced Tuesday he will enter the June draft. He said he has not hired an agent, but has been talking to them.

"There's no chance that I'm coming back," Walker said before joking: "Coach, like he said, he doesn't have a scholarship for me."

The 6-foot-1 guard led the Huskies to a 32-9 record, including an 11-0 postseason run that ended with a national championship. Walker is expected to be a first-round pick, and perhaps the second guard chosen behind Duke's Kyrie Irving.

Walker said he's been motivated by criticism that he's too short and won't be able to guard players in the NBA.

"Hopefully, I can go into the NBA and once again prove all the doubters wrong, like I've been doing my whole life" he said.

Walker averaged 23.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and 4.5 assists during his junior season. He scored a school record 965 points, accounting for 45 percent of the Huskies' offense.

Walker on Tuesday thanked coach Jim Calhoun "for turning me into a man." Calhoun had advised Walker to leave.

"He's ready to move on as a basketball player, both emotionally and physically," Calhoun said. "He just completed the finest basketball season in the history of this university -- in 111 years I believe it is. He's done everything humanly possible in my opinion that he possibly can do, including winning a national championship."

Walker came into the season averaging just under 12 points, but quickly established himself as the team's unquestioned leader, scoring 31, 30 and 29 points in powering the Huskies to the Maui Invitational title in November.

He scored 30 or more points 11 times during the season, and 20 or more points 27 times, winning the Bob Cousy award as the nation's top point guard.

Last week, Walker became the 14th Connecticut player to have his name and number placed on the "Huskies of Honor" wall in Gampel Pavilion -- the first to receive the honor while he was still in school. The honor means any future Huskies will have to ask Walker for permission if they want to wear his No. 15.

Walker was on track to graduate by the end of this summer, and said completing his degree is still a priority, though it may not happen that quickly.

"I'm going to take all the time I need to graduate," he said.

Walker is the 13th Connecticut player to leave school early. Center Hasheem Thabeet was the last in 2009.

Walker finishes his career in seventh place on the school's scoring list with 1,783 points in 111 games.

His departure means Connecticut will return four starters and nine players from its national championship team next season. The Huskies also will add another point guard in Ryan Boatright, a blue chip recruit from Illinois.

Walker said he wished he could stay to see how much that team improves, "but like I said, it's just time."

Calhoun said no matter what they accomplish next season, the Huskies will miss Walker, as a player and a leader.

"I'm starting to miss him now, actually," Calhoun said. "So I'll probably start yelling at him just to feel at home."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
          http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=6338613

Comment

• Butler's Shelvin Mack To Test Draft Status

Butler junior guard Shelvin Mack will declare for the NBA draft without an agent, coach Brad Stevens told ESPN’s Andy Katz.

According to Stevens, Mack will test the draft process between April 24 and May 8 to see where he would fall in the first round.

Mack led the Bulldogs in scoring during the NCAA tournament.
            http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...t_Draft_Status

Comment

• With Perry Jones out and Walker seems like a viable top 5 pick. Outside of Irving and Williams, the rest of the teams in the top ten are probably getting mostly projects. Even as gifted as Walker is, he's going to need a couple years to work on his jumper.

Comment

• Jan Vesley

NBADraft.net has had Vesley slotted in with the Raptors at #3 for the past week. He has received little buzz here and I think it's because we don't know a whole lot about him. Vesley was thought to be coming out last season and I can clearly remember a time when he was also then slotted in for the Raptors by NBAdraft.net. Either way, it was a good call on his part waiting a year. It's a matter of him being a late lotto pick or what now appears to be a top five lotto pick.

NBA Comparison: Mike Dunleavy/Andrei Kirilenko

Strengths: Possesses a terrific combination of size and length for the SF position ... Offensively, he improved his low post game and is looking to post up more this year; he can post up smaller defenders and uses his height advantage to score over defenders; has a height/length advantage on almost every player in Europe ... Jan has good motor and excellent ability to run the floor (most of his points are off of dunks, put-backs and points in transition) ... Good hands around the basket ... Facing up to the basket, he is able to get to the rim quickly due to his quickness and good first step. Very explosive off the floor when attacking the bucket and finishes strong ... As a shooter he improved since last year and feels more confident taking shots outside the 3pt line and creating off the dribble; his mechanics and follow-through look fluid; good elevation on his shot ... If he catches the ball and his feet are set and pointed towards the basket he usually will knock down shots ... Defensively he is good, thanks to his length and can guard multiple positions ... His lateral quickness is impressive for his size and he does a solid job at moving his feet (good P&R defender and closes well on the perimeter staying in front of guards) ... Plays with lot of emotion ... A competitive player that hustles for loose balls and brings energy on the court ...

Weaknesses: Vesely needs to continue improving his offensive skills. He's still a work in progress as a player as his athleticism and "wow plays" exceed his effectiveness and consistency ... He has had a decent season but more was expected from him coming into the year ... He is limited to one or two dribbles when creating off the dribble and needs to improve his 1-on-1 game and ball-handling skills ... Has to become more efficient/consistent shooter overall (50% FG, 46% FT, 46.3% 3FG in Euroleague and 74.1 % FG, 51% FT, 31.8% 3FG in NLB League) ... Hasn't added any weight since last year and will have to get stronger in order to compete in the NBA; still has trouble finishing plays under pressure ... Has strength and athleticism but not productive enough as a rebounder (4.4 rpg in NLB League and only 2.9 rpg in Euroleague) ... Could run into some problems fitting into an NBA position as his length slows him some on the perimeter in the half court set and he lacks the strength and toughness to play in the paint right now ...
                Source: NBAdraft.net

He could be the guy so, you know, prepare yourself. If he's the next AK47 then bring it on.

Comment

• http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...tsIllustrated/

Video looking at Kemba Walker and what his impact in the league can be.

They mention here that he could indeed creep into the Top-5, and most likely end up being the most impactful player in the draft.
                  They talk alot about his 'defensive feistiness', and his leadership qualities. Nice analysis.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                    NBADraft.net has had Vesley slotted in with the Raptors at #3 for the past week. He has received little buzz here and I think it's because we don't know a whole lot about him. Vesley was thought to be coming out last season and I can clearly remember a time when he was also then slotted in for the Raptors by NBAdraft.net. Either way, it was a good call on his part waiting a year. It's a matter of him being a late lotto pick or what now appears to be a top five lotto pick.

Source: NBAdraft.net

He could be the guy so, you know, prepare yourself. If he's the next AK47 then bring it on.
                    The Dunking Ninja!!!

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vid...tsIllustrated/

Video looking at Kemba Walker and what his impact in the league can be.

They mention here that he could indeed creep into the Top-5, and most likely end up being the most impactful player in the draft.
                      They talk alot about his 'defensive feistiness', and his leadership qualities. Nice analysis.
                      Put it this way, if the Raptors are picking 3rd and they take Kemba I will be surprised but I won't be upset because I'll know they just drafted a whole lot of talent, maturity, intelligence, leadership, courage, accountability and passion. I can easily live with that.

Comment

• I guess I should clarify as well. I don't expect the Raptors to draft Kemba. I just really like him, and will be one of the ones following his career no matter where he lands. That being said, just as Apollo put it, I wouldn't be upset with the Pick, because I know we are getting a guy who will come in and be a Leader in the LockerRoom right off the get go. They mention in that clip, that he is one of the few that will come in and right away have the confidence and swagger to step into an NBA locker Room and lead a group of Grown Men.

Comment

• Yeah, I could see him having a similar rookie campaign to Brandon Jennings' if he lands in the right system... Only with a little better scoring efficiency.

Comment

• Early Entries

NCAA underclassman have until 11:59 ET on April 24 to decide if they'll enter the 2011 NBA draft, held on June 23 in Newark, N.J. Per NCAA rules, players who do not declare for the draft and who do not hire an agent must withdraw their name from consideration by May 8 to retain their college elibility. The NBA's official withdrawal deadline for all players -- including international players -- is 5 p.m. ET on June 13. Here are the players who have declared for the draft thus far.
                            List of ALL Early Entries:
                            http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ies/index.html
                            Laurence Bowers - Missouri - Forward - 6'-8" - 210 - Junior
                            Kim English - Missouri - Guard - 6'-6" - 200 - Junior
                            Ashton Gibbs - Pittsburgh - Guard - 6'-2" - 195 - Junior
                            Augustus Gilchrist - South Florida - Forward - 6'-10" - 245 - Junior
                            Tobias Harris - Tennessee - Forward - 6'-8" - 210 - Freshman
                            Tyler Honeycutt - UCLA - Forward - 6'-7" - 195 - Sophomore
                            Scotty Hopson - Tennessee - Guard - 6'-7" - 205 - Junior
                            Kyrie Irving - Duke - Guard - 6'-2" - 180 - Freshman
                            Reggie Jackson - Boston College - Guard - 6'-3" - 208 - Junior
                            Reggie Johnson - Miami - Center - 6'-10" - 303 - Sophomore
                            Malcolm Lee - UCLA - Guard - 6'-5" - 180 - Junior
                            Travis Leslie - Georgia - Guard - 6'-4" - 202 - Junior
                            Shelvin Mack - Butler - Guard - 6'-3" - 215 - Junior
                            Darius Morris - Michigan - Guard - 6'-4" - 190 - Sophomore
                            Marcus Morris - Kansas - Forward - 6'-9" - 235 - Junior
                            Markieff Morris - Kansas - Forward - 6'-10" - 245 - Junior

Iman Shumpert - Georgia Tech - Guard - 6'-5" - 210 - Junior
                            Greg Smith - Fresno State - Forward - 6'-10" - 250 - Sophomore
                            Isaiah Thomas - Washington - Guard - 5'-9" - 185 - Junior
                            Trey Thompkins - Georgia - Forward - 6'-10" - 245 - Junior
                            Tristan Thompson - Texas - Forward - 6'-9" - 230 - Freshman
                            Nikola Vucevic - USC - Forward - 6'-10" - 240 - Junior
                            Kemba Walker - Connecticut - Guard - 6'-1" - 172 - Junior
                            Jordan Williams - Maryland - Forward - 6'-10" - 260 - Junior
                            I've Highlighted some of the Bigger Names.
                            Last edited by Joey; Wed Apr 13, 2011, 01:40 PM.

Comment

• Ugh the Morris twins
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• chad ford today on Valanciunas:

Other guy in there that I worry about is Jonas Valanciunas. Keep hearing his contract situation is messy and he may be a Rubio type that's a couple of years away from being allowed to play for the NBA. That could affect his draft stock.
                                i recognize this rebuild will take a few years, but the prospect of drafting a dude that will not impact the team for a long time does not really excite me

Comment

Working...
                                X