2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

I don't think the Raps suck that much as the American experts say but playoffs is a hard goal to achieve. So having the 9th or 10th pick sound right to me. And this kid is special

This happen just a week ago in the Euroleague. I mean, not the D-League or NCAA, the Euroleague, with just 18 years old:
    Meijia won this week’s Euroleague MVP award, as he scored 29 points (10/15 FG), grabbed 5 boards and dished out 3 assists (35 index rating).
    Lietuvos Rytas center Jonas Valanciunas, a projected Top-5 pick in the 2011 NBA Draft, was second in this week’s ranking, as he scored 15 points, grabbed nine rebounds and blocked two shots in only 23 minutes (26 index rating).
    While Rubio can’t find his game, Valanciunas is proving that he is ready to transition to the NBA. The 18-years-old center is averaging 10 points and 6.4 rebounds, and he’s second in the Euroleague in field goal percentage (77 percent).
    This is his DraftExpress profile: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...anciunas-5622/ --> They have him as a 5th pick

Two very important things in the report is that
    "the Lithuanian national team frontcourt appears to be in excellent hands for the future with the emergence of Jonas Valanciunas and Donatas Motiejunas—two big men that appear to complement each other extremely well."
    As you know, a lot of experts drew comparitions between Motiejunas and Bargs, so Jonas could be an excelent piece around Bargniani.

The other thing:
    "the strongest part of his game right now revolves around his rebounding and defensive skills."
    That's the best news this Raptors could have.

This is NBADraft.net scouting report: http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jonas-valanciunas
    They have him in the 16th pick but comparing him to Primoz Brezec. Judging by what I saw of him lately. He's already better than Brezec, with 18 years old.

Maybe if the Heat continues strugling we could have him with his pick, at the 20-25th range but it's likely that he'll be gone by then.

If the Raptors draft Motiejunas I'm done with them until Colangelo leaves... Nice find all the same Raul.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      If the Raptors draft Motiejunas I'm done with them until Colangelo leaves... Nice find all the same Raul.
      Raciest?

---------------

It's too early to say who we should draft.
      Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Nov 24, 2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I don't like Motiejunas either. He hasn't developed as expected and we don't need another 7' foot outside shooter. We need a rebounding and shot blocking Center

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
          Raciest?

---------------

It's too early to say who we should draft.

How is that racist? Don't want to speak for Apollo, but I think he meant, we don't need another Bargnani like big man on our team-extremely poor rebounder who is suspect on the defensive end, and has lapses on focus and intensity.

Comment

The expert said his specialty is rebounding and defensive skills.

Comment

You're confusing both players. The one similar to Bargs is Monteijunas, projeted to be a Tpo 10 last year until he withdrew from the draft. Valanciunas is lithuanian too, two years younger and excelent rebouder and defender. He's the one I want the Raps to draft.

I agree with Apollo about Monteiunas, I don't want him along Bargs, that wouldn't look good

Comment

Motiejunas?

The few scouting reports I've read on him suggest otherwise.

While Motiejunas leaves an incredibly strong impression with the talent he’s displaying on the offensive end, his work defensively and on the glass can’t be described as anything less than worrisome. Possessing average fundamentals on this end of the floor, Motiejunas is somewhat of a liability when attempting to defend on the perimeter. He’s extremely upright in his stance and shows very little in the ways of hustle or awareness, getting burned repeatedly in the film we took in.

His lack of strength is a major issue, but so is his extremely poor balance, as you regularly see him being knocked to the ground in every game he plays in. He gets pushed around by smaller players fairly often, giving up deep position in the post, and in turn easy baskets.

He remains an incredibly poor defensive rebounder, grabbing just 46 defensive rebounds in 448 total minutes, or one for every 10 minutes he’s on the court. Although rebounds are tougher to come by in Europe than they are in the NCAA, it’s tough to ignore the fact that he ranks amongst the worst defensive rebounders in his own league on a per-minute basis.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz16G9KQfQJ
                http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

Yeah, I think Montiejunas would do absolutely nothing to complement Bargnani. Still, it'll be very interesting to see where the three euro big men (Montiejunas, Valanciunas, and Kanter) are ranked come draft day. I think Kanter would be the clear favorite between the three of them if it weren't for potential knee problems. Beyond those three, it's a very weak draft for big men, so that might artificially increase their values.

Comment

Raúl wrote: View Post
                    You're confusing both players. The one similar to Bargs is Monteijunas, projeted to be a Tpo 10 last year until he withdrew from the draft. Valanciunas is lithuanian too, two years younger and excelent rebouder and defender. He's the one I want the Raps to draft.

I agree with Apollo about Monteiunas, I don't want him along Bargs, that wouldn't look good
                    O... There is no way we're drafting Monteiunas. BC isn't a moron, he's not going to draft a player when we have someone exactly like him on the team and have glaring needs at other positions.

Comment

O... There is no way we're drafting Monteiunas. BC isn't a moron, he's not going to draft a player when we have someone exactly like him on the team and have glaring needs at other positions.
                      Fully agree with that. We need a complement to Bargs, not his replica

Comment

I would go with Terrance Jones or Jordan Hamilton over either. Hamilton would be another LA product for the Raptors. Although, hypothetically speaking, it does not appear Jones will be around at 10 and Hamilton would probably be too early.

Miami lost again. That draft pick keeps getting higher and higher.

I cannot see the Raptors not drafting a PG either. I.e. the Raptors should be drafting a PG whether Irving, Knight, Walker or McCamey.
                        Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Nov 24, 2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Did any of you even read the original post? He clearly states drafting Jonus Valentvas would be a nice fit, not the bargs clone, read again guys

Comment

I've been to Lithuania and let me tell you, they have some seriously hot women. Nothing to do with this post, but just made me remember fondly.
                            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

We don't need anymore front court players. I hope that we will be able to sign a Point Guard, because that is the position we need the most. But he could definitely be a backup for Bargnani at the 5. A young, defensive center would be great.

Comment

Working...
                              X