2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I read that article on HoopsHype.com and HoopsWorld.com this morning.

Any fan of the league should read those two sites daily. It is a great and concise way to keep track of most news-worthy stories in the NBA.
    Yah I am on hype a few times a day, world I miss some days.

Comment

• If we get the third pic and Dwill and Kirving are taken i want to take valanciunas over kanter. I think Val will take longer to develope but he will be the much better player. ive been trying to find more recent videos and he looks to have put on a little weight this year and seems to have a more poilished game then kanter. check out this "SUPERMAN" impersonation.

Comment

• We're so fucked
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• terrence jones? he had 11 pts 15 rebounds 4 steals in his final game against uconn

Comment

• if we get as to be so lucky that we get the second pick and cleveland gets the first, they are rumoured to pass on irving.

not completely sure who they would take, but, the raptors will def. be selceting irving if available.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• is kanter a good defensive player?? because i rather take biyombo if not

Comment

• Draft Express' Top Ten Prospects (not a mock draft)
                1. Irving
                2. Williams
                3. Valanciunas
                4. Walker
                5. Knight
                6. Biyombo
                7. Kanter
                8. Vesely
                9. Motiejunas
                10. Jones

Source: DraftExpress.com

Comment

• Biyombo "anywhere from 23 to 26" years old?

The one thing that continues to dog Biyombo are the question marks NBA teams have about his age. Recently converted NBA draft analyst David Aldridge wrote that an NBA GM he spoke with said he had heard rumors that Biyombo was “anywhere from 23 to 26.”

The guy may be older than Bargnani. Nice. Here's that veteran center presence we wanted in the form of a rookie...

Comment

• I find it funny how a player can go from nonexsistant 2nd round project to top 10 player in the draft off of one game. I also find it interesting the way how the NFL looks at a 19 year old vs a 21 year and the way how the NBA looks at a 19 year old vs a 21 year old. I hope we don't reach in his draft.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      I find it funny how a player can go from nonexsistant 2nd round project to top 10 player in the draft off of one game.
                      I think this speaks to a number of issues. Mostly, the dearth of legitimate talent at the center position in the NBA, and the relative weakness of this draft class. Look at recent number one picks:

John Wall
                      Blake Griffin
                      Derrick Rose
                      Greg Oden
                      Andrea Bargnani
                      Andrew Bogut
                      Dwight Howard
                      Lebron James
                      Yao Ming
                      Kwame Brown

Pretty much all guys who play center or who can play center. Centers have significant draft value, so if they show some game and potential, there's a good chance they're going to go high on the boards. In Biyombo's case, I think the one game was a good chance to see what he could do against elite competition. He wasn't non-existant (as proof, see the fact that he participated in the first place), just not very well known.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                        We're so fucked
                        How so?

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

The guy may be older than Bargnani. Nice. Here's that veteran center presence we wanted in the form of a rookie...

I know there are a lot of speculation around his age. Some doctors are saying because of his bone structure/density/formation, that he's no older than 20. But when there are red flags like that, and guys popping out of nowhere, you really gotta do your homework. This is where our GM and scouts are paid the big bucks.

As much as I am intrigued by Biyombo, for every Ibaka out there, there are guys like Yinka Dare and Saer Sene and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje, Michael Olowokandi, Pape Sow, DeSagana Diop...a lot of busts for every success story. If we're gonna go big, I'd prefer Kanter or Valanciunas.
                          Last edited by MangoKid; Tue Apr 19, 2011, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            I also find it interesting the way how the NFL looks at a 19 year old vs a 21 year and the way how the NBA looks at a 19 year old vs a 21 year old. I hope we don't reach in his draft.
                            The reason for the different view point is that the NFL is one of the most punishing leagues in the world. You need to be a man before you go there. The NBA is different. There is contact but nothing remotely like the NFL.

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                            I know there are a lot of speculation around his age. Some doctors are saying because of his bone structure/density/formation, that he's no older than 20. But when there are red flags like that, and guys popping out of nowhere, you really gotta do your homework. This is where our GM and scouts are paid the big bucks.

As much as I am intrigued by Biyombo, for every Ibaka out there, there are guys like Yinka Dare and Saer Sene and Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje, Michael Olowokandi, Pape Sow, DeSagana Diop...a lot of busts for every success story. If we're gonna go big, I'd prefer Kanter or Valanciunas.
                            My view is you don't gamble with a top three pick, you take the best player available. That's the luxury of selecting high, the picks should be safer. The lower the pick, the more the risk because there are no definitive answers on who's "the best remaining" and as such you can take a guy based on potential or overlook a red flag. The last thing you want to do with a high pick is take a big gamble on a guy with red flags and then have the whole thing train wreck later. Most people don't like gambling their career or legacy on one choice.

In my opinion Biyombo is out of bounds for the Raptors.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                              My view is you don't gamble with a top three pick, you take the best player available. That's the luxury of selecting high, the picks should be safer. The lower the pick, the more the risk because there are no definitive answers on who's "the best remaining" and as such you can take a guy based on potential or overlook a red flag. The last thing you want to do with a high pick is take a big gamble on a guy with red flags and then have the whole thing train wreck later. Most people don't like gambling their career or legacy on one choice.

In my opinion Biyombo is out of bounds for the Raptors.
                              That, too, is one of the luxuries of being a good, or better, team. Not desperate for a critical piece, and having the patience and capacity to gamble and take on projects and red flags affords you the ability to choose players a number of teams needing the "safer" choice will have bypassed.

Comment

• Ford: Draft impact of Harrison Barnes' decision

This was on the ESPN Insider section, so I thought that I would share.

North Carolina's Harrison Barnes followed the lead of Jared Sullinger, Perry Jones and UNC teammates John Henson and Tyler Zeller when he announced on Monday that he was skipping the 2011 NBA draft and returning to school.

Barnes' decision may be a great one for college basketball fans, but it leaves an unprecedented hole at the top of the draft for NBA teams.

Barnes is currently ranked No. 3 on our 2011 Big Board and in several of our Mock Draft scenarios was the No. 1 pick. Sullinger was ranked No. 4. Jones was No. 5. All three players were considered potential All-Stars at the NBA level.

That leaves just two players right now -- Duke's Kyrie Irving and Arizona's Derrick Williams -- as the prizes of this year's draft. After that, it's a big, big drop-off.

Our current Top 10 for 2011 looks like this.

1. Kyrie Irving, PG, Duke
                                2. Derrick Williams, F, Arizona
                                3. Enes Kanter, F/C, Turkey
                                4. Jonas Valanciunas, F/C, Lithuania
                                5. Kemba Walker, PG, UConn
                                6. Brandon Knight, G, Kentucky
                                7. Jan Vesely, F, Czech Republic
                                8. Bismack Biyombo, C, Congo
                                9. Terrence Jones, F, Kentucky
                                10. Kawhi Leonard, F, San Diego State

"We've been pessimistic about this draft before those guys dropped out," one Eastern Conference GM said. "Without them, this may be the weakest draft since 2000. Guys will be going in the lottery that would normally be late first-round picks."

It is a problem. Kanter hasn't played ball in a year after the NCAA ruled him ineligible. He's got talent, but how much will losing a year affect his ability to contribute? Valanciunas has serious talent, but also has serious contract issues that could prohibit him from coming to the NBA soon. Vesely is an athletic forward but averaged just 10.4 points per game this year.

Walker is obviously a big name, but his lack of size hurts him a bit. Knight still hasn't declared for the draft but if he does, scouts still aren't 100 percent sure he's a real point guard. Biyombo has the body and game of Ben Wallace, but he's a pretty big question mark. Jones struggled the second half of the season. Leonard still lacks a true position.

I could go on.

On the domestic side, things should look brighter from here on in. Several other top underclassmen including Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones and Alec Burks are still undecided. However, sources suggest all three are leaning strongly toward declaring.

Players have until April 24 to declare for the draft.

The 2012 NBA draft, however, is looking much, much better. With players like Barnes, Sullinger and Jones added to a stellar freshman class that will likely include Anthony Davis, Michael Gilchrist, Austin Rivers, Quincy Miller, Bradley Beal and James McAdoo -- there should be plenty of talent. Here's a quick look at our projected top 10 for 2012:

1. Anthony Davis, F/C, Kentucky
                                2. Harrison Barnes, G/F, North Carolina
                                3. Perry Jones, F, Baylor
                                4. Michael Gilchrist, F, Kentucky
                                5. Jared Sullinger, PF, Ohio State
                                6. Austin Rivers, G, Duke
                                7. Quincy Miller, F, Baylor
                                8. Bradley Beal, G, Florida
                                9. John Henson, F, North Carolina
                                10. James McAdoo, F, North Carolina

Comment

Working...