2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    How is either Kanter or Valancuinas unknown? They're unknown to us, but to scouts, they're not. Kanter has been on the radar for a bit now (at least 3 years) - he was looked and touted at as being a top-5 pick for this year ever since the conclusion of last season's draft. Valancuinas, on the other hand, while he's been on the scene overseas for a year or two, he's only really started coming into his own this season in the Euroleague. But he's been dominating U-18 and U-19 competitions. Personally, I'd be happy to have either if they're the BPA.
    In the sense of Kanter's knees and Vals contract issues/how long it's going to take him to progress till he's finally able to start and contribute. I have no doubt in my mind he's going to be decent but do you really want to wait 2-3 years to find out? I'm sure BC doesn't as evidenced by his "we have enough prospects" comment.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• jeff_hostetler wrote: View Post
      Just in response to that ESPN article bit on,

Valanciunas [having] serious talent, but also...serious contract issues that could prohibit him from coming to the NBA soon.
      I remember reading somewhere that those issues aren't that big a deal, and that Valanciunas has already got a buy out ready for when he comes to the NBA - but if there's a lockout still being able to play and develop overseas. Also, if that's the only issue to counter the statement that "Valanciunas has serious talent," then it seems to be you could drop the qualifier, say that he's got serious talent, and leave it at that.

He's also a much better defender than is Kanter, and given how the Raps are despereately in the need for a defensive C and that BC basically said acquiring one will be the biggest offseason priority, it seems to me that Valanciunas would be higher on the Raps' big board than would Kanter.
      Yeah. It's no coincidence that NBAdraft.net had him slotted to go top three even before guys like Barnes, Jones and Sullinger pulled out and then after the red flags about his current contract appeared on the net suddenly he's dropped into the teens. Nobody in the top five wants a Tiago Splitter or Fran Vasquez situation.

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
        Valanciunas, is incredibly skinny and is a foul machine. Sorry, I'm going with the centre who can step in immediately, and that's Kanter.

Actually, Kanter might be the safest pick. Since, if we draft either Irving or Williams we'll have some roster issues.
        We don't need a C right now. We are rebuilding. Picking someone because they are more pro ready for a rebuilding team is retarded, especially when they have health probs.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
          We don't need a C right now. We are rebuilding. Picking someone because they are more pro ready for a rebuilding team is retarded, especially when they have health probs.
          Outside of free agency the market for C's is looking very weak. It would appear most successful C's are drafted. I think highly of Valanciunas but not for what he will do next year, I'm looking 2-3 seasons down the road. Given the core of the guys here are in their early 20's (21-24), 2-3 seasons is not unreasonable to expect a contending team if the draft gods comply.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Outside of free agency the market for C's is looking very weak. It would appear most successful C's are drafted. I think highly of Valanciunas but not for what he will do next year, I'm looking 2-3 seasons down the road. Given the core of the guys here are in their early 20's (21-24), 2-3 seasons is not unreasonable to expect a contending team if the draft gods comply.
            Agree on both counts. Unfortunately judging from BC's comments, he doesn't want to pick for 2yrs out.

Comment

Valanciunas, is incredibly skinny and is a foul machine. Sorry, I'm going with the centre who can step in immediately, and that's Kanter.

Actually, Kanter might be the safest pick. Since, if we draft either Irving or Williams we'll have some roster issues.
              someone told me that during an interview kanter said he wants to become like an andrea bargnani type player. I heard this on a different raptors forum but i wasn't sure if he was telling the truth cause i told him to show me the interview and he didn't so idk.

Comment

• i really want kyrie,

Comment

• If we are going to get a big it should be Biyombo. He's undersized but he's only 18 and does EVERYTHING we need. He can attack the basket, he can block/defend and rebound.

Comment

If we are going to get a big it should be Biyombo. He's undersized but he's only 18 and does EVERYTHING we need. He can attack the basket, he can block/defend and rebound.
                    If we draft Val, he'll be behind Alabi on the depth chart...no thanks. Also, Kanter doesn't play at all like Bargnani, he's a better version of the two other Turk centers in the league.

Also, Biyombo? Really? Unless Ed Davis is our answer at centre, then we have no need for this guy. He can rebound and block shots and not much else... sorry, I'll pass.
                    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

I have absolutely nothing against Kanter, but I think the last thing the Raptors need to worry about in this draft is who's going to be able to step in immediately. You go with the player with the higher ceiling. What matters most, next year or year five?
                      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• taking more than 2 - 3 seasons max to rebuild is too much, I could handle being in the lotto next year but after that I want to see results.

Comment

If we draft Val, he'll be behind Alabi on the depth chart...no thanks. Also, Kanter doesn't play at all like Bargnani, he's a better version of the two other Turk centers in the league.

Also, Biyombo? Really? Unless Ed Davis is our answer at centre, then we have no need for this guy. He can rebound and block shots and not much else... sorry, I'll pass.
                          Biyomba can play C because his mass makes up for his lack of size. Jones V wouldn't be behind Alabi on the depth chart. He's much more polished then Alabi.

Bismack Biyombo
                          Weight: 243 lbs.
                          Height (w/o shoes): 6'7.75"
                          Height (w/ shoes): 6'9"
                          Wing Span: 7'7"
                          Body Fat: 4.8%
                          Standing Reach: 9'3"

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...urements-3661/

----------------

Great article on him.
                          http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...-Biyombo-3683/

---------------

Draftexpress has us drafting Jones V at 3 and Bismack being drafted at 6. I think we should take Bismack over Jones V.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-mock-draft/2011/
                          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed Apr 20, 2011, 01:43 AM.

Comment

• 7'7 wingspan is absolutely ridiculous
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              taking more than 2 - 3 seasons max to rebuild is too much, I could handle being in the lotto next year but after that I want to see results.
                              I have a feeling you will be disappointed. The proper rebuild approach takes time. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ is a great source to look at teams records over the years. Check out teams in the playoffs and the years it took to get there. For fans wanting to go the route of OKC or POR, it takes multiple high lottery picks.

Comment

Biyomba can play C because his mass makes up for his lack of size. Jones V wouldn't be behind Alabi on the depth chart. He's much more polished then Alabi.

Bismack Biyombo
                                Standing Reach: 9'3"
                                I think this is all that should be measured and displayed. Because this is the stat that matters.
                                As I've stated before, you don't block shots with the top of your head, nor do you rebound with it, (could keep going, but you get the idea.) and yet that is where they take measurements from now. Rarely do they ever talk about Standing Reach, but in my opinion it holds more weight than standing height in shoes.

Comment

Working...
                                X