2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    If he stayed in this year's draft, there's a chance he still could have gone #1- at worst number 2, but he wants to return to school. So how do those rankings mean nothing?
    True, they mean something lol. i just meant that its a new season and anything can happen. there are alot of other players that could effect the rankings. the returning players also risk injury. the players ranked in high positions in the draft that are returning to school Barnes, Sukllinger, Pjones etc. do have the upper hand to some degree. Any stats on how likely it is a player that returns to the NCAA despite being ranked top 3 already ?

Comment

• Watching playoffs just makes realize how useless Bargnani is. Playoffs are about position and trying to get extra position. Things that Bargnani can not do for you. Here wishing we draft Kanter and Trade bargnani for an experience playoffs tested 3 like Stephen Jackson
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Are the Raps leaning towards a big?

Evan in Toronto:
        Who are the three to five names you heard about the raptor's interest in this weak draft
        Stephen Brotherston:
        Evan,

Colangelo can't drop names - tampering - but he implied they were looking at the big men - he just saw them as raw prospects with potential.

Guys like: Jonas Valanciunas, Enes Kanter, Bismack Biyombo are ranked highly and they could be very good - even future All-Stars - or complete busts.....

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?C...#ixzz1Kq0lf0Cv
        If not drafting number one - sure, why not these guys.

Comment

• Top 5 NBA Ready Centres: HoopsWorld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19589

Valanciunas
          Biyombo
          Kanter
          Motiejunas
          Jordan Williams

Comment

• Early Entrant list from HoopsWorld

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19605

NEW YORK, April 28, 2011 – The National Basketball Association announced today that 89 players, including 69 players from U.S. colleges and 20 international players, have filed as early entry candidates for the 2011 NBA Draft.

Players wishing to enter the 2011 NBA Draft were required to submit a letter to the NBA to be received no later than Sunday, April 24. Players who have applied for early entry have the right to withdraw their names from consideration for the Draft by notifying the NBA of their decision in writing no later than 5 p.m. ET on Monday, June 13.

Following is the list of players from U.S. colleges who have applied for early entry into the 2011 NBA Draft, which will be held Thursday, June 23, at the Prudential Center in Newark, N.J.:

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1KqJCuYqg
            Click link to see the players.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              If not drafting number one - sure, why not these guys.
              Completely agree. AT this point, you have to assume you'll get the third pick unless the actual lottery tells you differently. And those are three centers I like. I think the one with the least bust potential is Kanter, but that's only if his knees are healthy. Jonas is probably the one that I'm most leery of because he's so skinny, so raw and fouls at a rate that made early Amir Johnson look like Steve Nash (who rarely fouls). Still, the tools he does have are appealing. I'm glad it's not me making the decision.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• iv been watching the Hoop summit videos again. Man Biyombo does look pretty sick. if all 3 big men in the draft are being drafted on potential biyombo might have the higghest cieling. plus he fits the image the raptors are heading in ( athletic, long,, mobile, and tough).
                the guys seems like a great leader . even if he doesnt turn out the best in the class he seems like he will be a very solid player and wants to be dominant and improove his game. no charector issues either. I noticed he has great vertical ability and also he has a quick jump, much like ed davis.

thanks for this article Matt.
                "Bismack Biyombo, Congo, 6-9, 240 lbs. – One of the fastest risers in this year's draft class, Bismack Biyombo exploded into the international limelight with a phenomenal performance at the 2011 Nike Hoop Summit. The long, athletic big man is oozing with potential as a defensive stopper who can rebound the basketball at a high rate and protect the rim with his jaw-dropping ability to block shots.

Although undersized at the center position, Biyombo is a tremendous athlete with a 7-7 wingspan (that is not a typo). He already has an NBA body and shouldn't have much trouble adding muscle to an already well-developed body as he continues to mature physically.

Only 18 years old, Biyombo is already proving to be a defensive force in the Spanish ACB League (the top league in the world outside of the NBA), averaging 2.3 blocked shots and 5.1 rebounds in just 17 minutes per game for Baloncesto Fuenlabrada.

Without a refined offensive game, he relies heavily on his athleticism, offensive rebounding, cuts to the basket and finishing in transition. Much like many other young, athletic big men, Biyombo's primary offensive move is the dunk, but with his strength and aggressiveness he seems to have more success than most.

Although he is still developing offensively, Biyombo appears ready to make an impact at the NBA level on the defensive end from day one. "

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1KqxBFJ00

IMO it sound like Biyombo is acutally qualified of being selected 3rd overall. he has potential, long wingspan, elite athletisim, leadership, he had great stats in a very good league... ya his offensive game needs polishing but so did Derozans, amir Johnson, Ed davis. all these players are looking really good for the raptors. Plus BViyombo already possesses great defensive skills. a davis, Biyombo front court. the only down side would be hearing Jack armstrong say " get that garbage outta here" llike 10 times a game.

if we select 3rd i want Biyombo.
                Last edited by pesterm1; Thu Apr 28, 2011, 04:56 PM.

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                  Been watching the Hoop summit videos again. Man Biyombo does look pretty sick. if all 3 big men in the draft are being drafted on potential biyombo might have the higghest cieling. plus he fits the image the raptors are heading in ( athletic, long,, mobile, and tough).
                  the guys seems like a great leader . even if he doesnt turn out the best in the class he seems like he will be a very solid player and wants to be dominant and improove his game. no charector issues either. I noticed he has great vertical ability and also he has a quick jump, much like ed davis.
                  I am very weary of the hype on Biyombo. Remember Jimmer? This point has already been made in the thread I believe.

With that said, Biyombo is extremely intriguing. Even at 6'9", his arm span is 7'7"!!!! 7'7"!!!! This is hardly scientific but if you put his wing span down to a 7'3" his height is 7'1". Again, not scientific but those arms are ridiculous - 7'7"!!!! Then remember his athleticism - man. Something to consider.

I'd be happy with either of those three bigs.

Comment

• I watch those hoop summit video and here is what I took from it in retrospect. there was no one there that match up with him size wise, who he have performed as well with say a guy like kanter there? he blocked alot of shots yes but there were some dunks that I feel if he had a great sense for the game he would have got too which to me questions his knowledge of the game. another thing is people in the nba put the ball up high against the back board so I would like to know his vertical jump if its 12' + then ya he will be a good shot blocker. ed davis and dwight howard have leaps in the 12' range. Another thing I question is his speed and instincts to get from one side of the key to the other to grab boards or block shots. If the ball is a step away he will block it or rebound it but 2 -3 steps away I seriously question that. last but not least this was done in a freestyle type of game organized ball is completely different animal.

Comment

• We want kanter!

Comment

• Biyombo: The Anti-Bargnani

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        I watch those hoop summit video and here is what I took from it in retrospect. there was no one there that match up with him size wise, who he have performed as well with say a guy like kanter there? he blocked alot of shots yes but there were some dunks that I feel if he had a great sense for the game he would have got too which to me questions his knowledge of the game. another thing is people in the nba put the ball up high against the back board so I would like to know his vertical jump if its 12' + then ya he will be a good shot blocker. ed davis and dwight howard have leaps in the 12' range. Another thing I question is his speed and instincts to get from one side of the key to the other to grab boards or block shots. If the ball is a step away he will block it or rebound it but 2 -3 steps away I seriously question that. last but not least this was done in a freestyle type of game organized ball is completely different animal.
                        The DraftExpress write ups are interesting reads - highly recommended.

Does this sound like the needs of any team we know?

Due to his offensive limitations, Biyombo doesn't fit on just any NBA team—he's not someone who can be expected to generate his own offense, and probably needs another skilled big man next to him, as well as a creative point guard. The skills he does have are highly coveted, though, and any team looking to upgrade its defensive and rebounding presence will surely give him a look.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1Kr7750QJ
                        http://www.draftexpress.com
                        Biyombo is also an excellent athlete. He runs the floor extremely well and is very explosive around the basket. The coordination and reflexes he shows are atypical of a player with such little experience and give him a great framework to improve on as he continues to grow.

What makes Biyombo so interesting, though, is his willingness to utilize his physical tools. He plays the game with incredible emotion (think Joakim Noah or Kevin Garnett), often putting opposing players and teammates in harm's way with his desire to make his presence felt. He competes on every possession, often to the point of physical exhaustion, something that will need to be honed. Still, it's an extremely desirable trait in a prospect.

Offensively, Biyombo is fairly limited from a skills perspective. Nevertheless, he finds ways to produce in his own unique fashion; mostly by running the floor in transition, crashing the offensive glass and working off the ball.

His length gives guards an incredible target radius to work with, allowing them to lob the ball into the paint at difficult angles because they can trust Biyombo to go out and get it, sometimes for a spectacular alley-oop.

He works extremely hard to get deep position in the paint and will call for the ball aggressively once there. This makes him a magnet for fouls, considering how hard he makes opposing big men work to keep him off the block.

Once he catches the ball in the paint, Biyombo usually has one thing on his mind: dunk. He can take off from incredible distances (well outside the restricted area) and still finish plays because of his sheer length and explosiveness. He absolutely crushes the rim any opportunity he gets.

Biyombo doesn't have a highly developed post game. He doesn't show the ability to back his man down and create effectively in one-on-one opportunities, but will mix in an occasional spin move and some basic footwork that could make him even more of a threat as he continues to add lower body strength and improves his overall polish.

On the downside, Biyombo is a very poor passer. He registered an assist on just 4% of his possessions, ranking him amongst the worst in this category in the ACB.

His desire to make his presence felt, while an admirable trait, tends to work against him in this regard, especially when looking at his turnover rate, which is fairly high relative to his usage.

This is where his lack of experience shows the most. It's not rare to see him barrel into opponents, get called for traveling violations or have the ball stripped due to his somewhat weak hands. Additionally, he doesn't show anything resembling a jump shot at the moment and converts just 53% of his free throw attempts. While his touch is not bad, his shooting mechanics are a bit rigid, something he'll need to work on to become at least a capable threat from the mid-range area.

It should be noted that an evaluation of his film from earlier in the season compared to his most recent outings shows he has been making significant improvements in terms of his feel for the game and overall comfort level. This is particularly evident in his understanding of Fuenlabrada's half-court offense, which appears to be very good.

With that said, defensive ability is the area of Biyombo's game where NBA teams see the most potential -- both in the short and long term.

He has the size, length and mobility to guard both power forwards and centers in today's NBA, particularly as he adds weight. He can step out and hedge screens effectively on the pick-and-roll and is tough and aggressive enough to hold his own in the paint against most back-to-the-basket players.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1Kr95RCMR
                        Bismack Biyombo came out of nowhere to capture the hearts of NBA scouts and executives last weekend at the Nike Hoop Summit in Portland.

But those who have been following Biyombo since he ascended to the senior roster of ACB team Fuenlabrada in early January were not caught off guard. He leads the most competitive league in the world outside the NBA in blocked shots and is amongst the league leaders in rebounding per 40 minutes and free attempts per 40.

He's already one of the most productive players in the league, despite the fact that he might be the rawest player in the ACB in terms of experience.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1Kr9lRHPA
                        In the meantime, Biyombo saw playing time against Ricky Rubio's old club, DKV Joventut, and did surprisingly well, earning more time to prove himself.

With each day Biyombo continued to improve.

“Getting more time practicing I would make myself better,” Biyombo explained. “Coach decided to give me more minutes every game, every game, every game.”

Before anyone realized what was happening, the anonymous Biyombo was leading the ACB in blocked shots and field goal percentage while ranking #1 in per-minute rebounds and near the top in per-minute free throw attempts. He moved straight into the top 20 of DraftExpress' top 100 rankings, making one of the biggest jumps in the site's history.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1KrAGKrSU

Comment

I am very weary of the hype on Biyombo. Remember Jimmer? This point has already been made in the thread I believe.I'd be happy with either of those three bigs.
                          Yah i made the point and i agree that he is flavor of the month at the moment. the only argument i can make for Biyombo over Jimmer is that Jimmer is all O (common) and Biyombo is all D (not as common.) Biyombo could be a bust but he seems to have the defense going for him and offense is usually the easier skill to learn. watching the video of biyombo at the hoop summit is almost comical. he makes the other players look like kids.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                            I watch those hoop summit video and here is what I took from it in retrospect. there was no one there that match up with him size wise, who he have performed as well with say a guy like kanter there? he blocked alot of shots yes but there were some dunks that I feel if he had a great sense for the game he would have got too which to me questions his knowledge of the game. another thing is people in the nba put the ball up high against the back board so I would like to know his vertical jump if its 12' + then ya he will be a good shot blocker. ed davis and dwight howard have leaps in the 12' range. Another thing I question is his speed and instincts to get from one side of the key to the other to grab boards or block shots. If the ball is a step away he will block it or rebound it but 2 -3 steps away I seriously question that. last but not least this was done in a freestyle type of game organized ball is completely different animal.
                            The guy is 18 years old and while the Hoops Summit was against kids, he's been playing against adults for several years in Europe. At 18, you're mostly looking for the tools, and Kanter seems to have them. I don't think he's ever going to become a great shotblocker, but if he's playing beside Ed Davis, it doesn't matter at all. More important than shotblocking is he seems to have good footwork and timing on defense when playing help defense and defending his own man.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I am very weary of the hype on Biyombo. Remember Jimmer? This point has already been made in the thread I believe.

With that said, Biyombo is extremely intriguing. Even at 6'9", his arm span is 7'7"!!!! 7'7"!!!! This is hardly scientific but if you put his wing span down to a 7'3" his height is 7'1". Again, not scientific but those arms are ridiculous - 7'7"!!!! Then remember his athleticism - man. Something to consider.

I'd be happy with either of those three bigs.
                              The one main (major?) difference is Jimmer was hyped for his offense, but had no defense to speak of. Biyombo is hyped because of his defense and rebounding, which if he keeps his offense within the restricted area and on put-backs, could do quite well.

Comment

• I'm big fan of Bismack Biyombo too. Not just cause I happen to be Congolese too but, the fact that he is just a freak of nature. He looks like he was put on this earth to do nothing but play basketball. The things that worries me about drafting Biyombo 1) His size in shoes 6'9 without 6'7.75 will he able to play center full time in the league. His only 18 and the youngest of all three center so he could still grow a couple inches. 2) I'm scared that drafting Bismack will give Colangelo a reason to keep Bargnani and just let Bismack pick up his slack. That would ultimately stop ED's development or worse get him traded.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X