No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biyombo his just a BEAST. im on the Biyombo Bandwagon. he posterizes everybod. he shoots a few jumpshots in this video too. Biyombo at #3

Comment

• Odds of the 2 Morris' drafted by the same team?

Marcus Morris and Markieff Morris are predicted to go somewhere in the middle of the first round. Do you think there is a team out there who would draft both of them? I notice the Bobcats draft 9 and 19, there might be some opportunity there. I just think it would be kind of cool if they were somehow able to stick together.
      Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        He looks like he was put on this earth to do nothing but play basketball.
        lol yes this! thats awsome. i thought of that too, id rather we still get rid of bargnani but who knows, it may workout for the better.

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
          lol yes this! thats awsome. i thought of that too, id rather we still get rid of bargnani but who knows, it may workout for the better.
          I don't know if any of you remember but, remember how Colangelo said "If Serge Ibaka played for us he would be are Center and would play next to Barney" Bismack is being compared to Serge most of the time(probably because their both from Congo and can block shots). I don't want Colangelo going out try to find someone to make up for Barney's slack.
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Under the watchful eye of Shareef Abdur-Rahim, the Sacrament Kings’ assistant General Manager, the top Lithuanian prospect Jonas Valanciunas scored 21 points and grabbed 7 rebounds in the first half of the game. The 18-year-old went on to collect 23 points and 8 rebounds on the night after sitting out most of the second half of the blowout.

This game was today in the playoff in the Lithuanian League. Jonas making his own case for that potential #3 pick. I actually like Jonas Valaniunas, he has legit height at 6-10.75 without shoes and his projected to have a 7'6 wingspan when they make the measurements. He has average bounce but not great. His not as skinny as ppl say but still a frail frame. I really want an impact player in the first year that's I lean toward the other two Center

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Thorpe: Why Kyrie Irving Won't Be A Superstar

In the ESPN Insider section...

Even before a number of other high-level players opted to skip the draft and return to school, Kyrie Irving was going to be a serious candidate for the No. 1 pick, depending, of course, on who gets it. Now he might be the guy no matter who is drafting.

The top overall pick, however, is not something that carries the same value from year to year. Dwight Howard, LeBron James, Blake Griffin and Derrick Rose have all proved to truly be franchise talents. John Wall absolutely is on track for a similar impact. But Andrea Bargnani, Greg Oden and Andrew Bogut, while clearly talented players, are not "MVP" caliber players (and Oden's career has never gotten off the ground as a result of injuries).

So if the team that ends up with the No. 1 pick decides to draft Irving, will it merely be getting a long-term starter, or can he be the foundation for a potential championship squad and a future MVP candidate? My guess is that he'll be in-between those levels, a star who can be the MVP of a playoff series, but not MVP of the league. Here's why:

When watching Irving on tape, I see a player who looks like Brandon Roy with better natural playmaking skills. I mean the All-Star Roy with healthy knees, not the guy who is fighting his knees most nights and can't move anywhere close to the way he used to on every possession. A healthy Roy used his strong body, great balance and crafty ball-handling to create shots for himself and others. He was a solid perimeter shooter and a devastating mid-range guy, with a true talent for finishing in the paint but away from the rim.

I see Irving being able to do similar things, and pretty quickly. He is excellent at keeping his upper body aligned when he is ready to finish at the rim after going past defenders. Even though he's young, he uses his big shoulders and good strength to bounce off bodies while still maintaining his finishing posture. Both of these skills will transfer over well to the NBA game, and it's easy to assume he'll be getting stronger in the next few years. He only turned 19 in March, a full three years younger than Roy was as a rookie.

Irving, like Roy, is adept at changing speeds and direction while attacking the paint, keeping defenders off-balance and guessing (often poorly) what he'll do next. He is an excellent ballhandler going in each direction as well. So even though he's smaller than Roy, he's got good size for a true point guard and should be a good -- possibly very good -- player at getting inside the lane and finishing. "Craft" counts in the NBA, and Irving has lots of it.

Unlike some great NBA players, like Russell Westbrook for example, Irving has been an extremely high-level performer for years. That brings an air of confidence, which is a big part of any successful player's game. Irving uses that confidence to command a team on offense, and he does so similarly on defense. It's clear he relishes that side of the ball, and over time he should be adequate on defense in the NBA, and could be very good.

The best part of Irving's game, however, is his ability to shoot the ball with range. He made 46.2 percent of his 3s this season and looks like he's been well-coached in terms of his shooting mechanics. It's a simple shot, which means there's not much that can go wrong. Compared to Rose, Westbrook, Wall, Brandon Jennings, Tyreke Evans, Stephen Curry, Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson and Darren Collison -- all starting guards who came into the league in the last three seasons -- only Holiday and Curry had shots that looked as good as Irving's does. Holiday made 39 percent of his 3s this season after hitting 36.5 percent as a rookie (and he shot 52.4 percent this postseason), and Curry is one of the league's premier deep shooters, so Irving is in fantastic company.

As defenses keep evolving and learning how to protect the paint, the ability to shoot the ball will carry even more value than it currently does. This is why Irving presents such a small draft risk at No. 1 overall -- there is no question he projects as a solid starting point guard, at minimum, and his shooting talent allows for him to be a difference-maker in his rookie season.

For all of these reasons, I'm convinced Irving has MVP-of-a-playoff series potential, and he might even be capable of being the best player in a Finals matchup (years from today). But he falls short of the elite crowd for a simple reason. The top MVP candidates for the season who are below 6-foot-10 all have one thing in common: They are in a very elite category as athletes. Outside of Chris Paul, every guy is super quick, explosive and fast. I don't project Irving to be at their levels at any point in his career, and as for Paul, well, it's hard to imagine having two guys with that kind of special talent in the league at the same time.

Being that kind of elite-level athlete gives those guys an advantage against almost any defender or any strategy designed to corral them, compared to everyone else. The game has changed even in the few years since Steve Nash won two MVP awards, and athleticism is more valuable than ever for guards. Irving is a very good athlete, but not a special one.

Most importantly, the team that drafts Irving should do so knowing that it has its point guard of the future wrapped up for a decade or so, a position so tough to fill for that length of time. In the 2007, 2008 and 2010 drafts, only five teams can say that they drafted the guy who will man that position for a decade (the 2009 draft will prove to be a historic draft for PGs).

And Irving won't just be a starter, but a potential All-Star who can definitely be a top-3 piece on a championship team, with the required toughness, competitiveness and integrity of a franchise player. That should be enough to make that fan base very happy. But for the fans who hope for a superstar at the No. 1 spot, they'll just have to wait for the next lottery.

Comment

• The thing I like about Irving is that he doesn't have to be an elite athlete to compete at a high level. Guys like John Wall and even Derrick Rose suffer when they aren't 100% physically because they rely so much on athleticism. I see Irving as more like Deron Williams, a player that Thorpe conspicuously omitted. Guys like Williams and Irving can compete at a high level longer than guys like John Wall or even Chris Paul (who I'm pretty sure has elite level athleticism, despite what Thorpe says).
                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                  Chris Paul (who I'm pretty sure has elite level athleticism, despite what Thorpe says).
                  Chris Paul is not an elite athlete but, Thorpe has a flaw in his MVP theory. Steve Nash won MVP back to back also not an elite athlete.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I dunno, i was high on Jonas before too but he has no hops... hes not an elite athlete like many of the other raptors. he might just end up being the next kristic.

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                      I dunno, i was high on Jonas before too but he has no hops... hes not an elite athlete like many of the other raptors. he might just end up being the next kristic.
                      How many 5's have hops or are elite athletes? Not too many.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Chris Paul is not an elite athlete but, Thorpe has a flaw in his MVP theory. Steve Nash won MVP back to back also not an elite athlete.
                        Did you miss the part when he says the NBA has changed since then. Yes, in the few years since Nash was an MVP the game has changed so much that you HAVE to be an elite athlete to be an MVP candidate. I'd say there is more than one flaw in Thorpe's argument.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
                          How many 5's have hops or are elite athletes? Not too many.
                          i just wish there weas a dwight howard in the draft lol

Comment

• There isn't much that will wow you about Jonas Valanciunas but, has length(like i said 7'6 wingspan can't teach that) great rebounder, toughness and can run the court well and has a lot of upside.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• did you read everything they said?
                              On the downside, Biyombo is a very poor passer. He registered an assist on just 4% of his possessions, ranking him amongst the worst in this category in the ACB.

His desire to make his presence felt, while an admirable trait, tends to work against him in this regard, especially when looking at his turnover rate, which is fairly high relative to his usage.

This is where his lack of experience shows the most. It's not rare to see him barrel into opponents, get called for traveling violations or have the ball stripped due to his somewhat weak hands. Additionally, he doesn't show anything resembling a jump shot at the moment and converts just 53% of his free throw attempts. While his touch is not bad, his shooting mechanics are a bit rigid, something he'll need to work on to become at least a capable threat from the mid-range area.

matt, I put bismack, ben wallace, and faried videos up next to each other and ran them at the same time lol (ya i know was bored). What I can say with total confidence is bismack lacks quickness and twitch leaping ability that the other 2 have. He seems almost slow in comparison, he doesn't leap he sort of stretches. We will see what workouts look like when they come.

Comment

• Kanter probably the safest(if healthy)pick out of all the big men but, still has big time potential.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X