2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maleko wrote: View Post
    Which could be a good thing (rumours) for those drafting later. Of course it was pointed out (perhaps by you...maybe Mango) that people thought the same kind of things about Mutumbo, and unless he played until the age of 50 then total BS. Hell if they were right and he played until the age of 50 then cool too. At the end of the day if he gives you solid playing years power to him.
    Getting it wrong once doesn't mean they don't ever get it right.

ceez wrote: View Post
    True, I think they're just worried how much more he'll actually develop. If he's got those raw skills and he's 19 then awesome. Buy if he's 23 or even 26 as rumored, then it's kind of concerning how much better he'll actually get.
    If he's 26 then you're looking at a finished product that's not fit for the NBA. If he's 23 then you're looking at a small window on a project. Development is the issue because of the age concern. I agree 100%. 23 to 26 means bust.

Comment

• His agent proved he's 18 at most.

Apollo wrote: View Post
      Getting it wrong once doesn't mean they don't ever get it right.

If he's 26 then you're looking at a finished product that's not fit for the NBA. If he's 23 then you're looking at a small window on a project. Development is the issue because of the age concern. I agree 100%. 23 to 26 means bust.
      Even if he is 23/26 (pretty much impossible based on test), he isn't going to be a bust in the NBA. He's already dominating of the best leagues in the world in 18 min (ACB). At worst he'll become a first big off the bench.
      Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Tue May 3, 2011, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
        His agent proved he's 18 at most.
        The agent for Miguel Tejada begs to differ.

I'd stay away from selecting guys like this. If there are rumours swirling regarding his age, in a draft where there are so many unknowns, it's a big risk to draft a guy who's age you're not sure of. I'd let someone else take that risk. Unless they can get something from the government that proves his age.
        Last edited by MangoKid; Tue May 3, 2011, 02:25 PM.

Comment

His agent proved he's 18 at most.

Even if he is 23/26 (pretty much impossible based on test), he isn't going to be a bust in the NBA. He's already dominating of the best leagues in the world in 18 min (ACB). At worst he'll become a first big off the bench.
          People are interested in his raw abilities. If he's 26 then he is what he is. He's not the kind of player expected to make an instant impact. He's going to be a project.

Comment

• I think he can make an immediate impact on Defense especially on a team like the Raptors but, any pick higher than 5 is too high. I like how this draft is shaping up for the Raptors any where we land we can't really go that wrong. I do thing his 18, why do they alway have this issue with African players? Same thing happened to Serge Ibaka.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              People are interested in his raw abilities. If he's 26 then he is what he is. He's not the kind of player expected to make an instant impact. He's going to be a project.
              He can make an instant impact on any team on D, he can get better yes but he's not trash right now. He's pretty good. He's going to be mainly have to get better on O.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                I think he can make an immediate impact on Defense especially on a team like the Raptors but, any pick higher than 5 is too high. I like how this draft is shaping up for the Raptors any where we land we can't really go that wrong. I do thing his 18, why do they alway have this issue with African players? Same thing happened to Serge Ibaka.
                who?

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                  who?
                  Bismack Biyombo
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• DraftExpress - Early Entry List.

Great list.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      True, I think they're just worried how much more he'll actually develop. If he's got those raw skills and he's 19 then awesome. Buy if he's 23 or even 26 as rumored, then it's kind of concerning how much better he'll actually get.
                      I don't know how many of you guys listen to the espn basketball podcast but they basicly said he is not a lottery pick.

Comment

• Just thought I'd post this scouting report...
                        ... is a physical specimen in the truest sense, with the type of attributes that would put him in a rare class in the NBA right off the bat. Standing 7 feet tall, he has terrific size for the center position, with a 7’8.5’’ wingspan that will make him the longest player in the league....

In terms of athletic ability, [the player] passes the test as well. He is quick off his feet and has a terrific second bounce after his initial vertical leap. He has excellent footspeed and overall quickness, and runs the floor extremely well for a player his size.

Defensively is where [the player] is probably the most attractive. His length alone already makes him a force as a shot-blocking threat, but the raw timing he shows leaves even more room for optimism in his potential as a game changer in the paint. [The player] recovers extremely well and is quick to get over and challenge slashers that dare enter the paint. His nimble feet allow him to stay in front of players much smaller than him with his lateral quickness and force them into some extremely difficult shots high off the glass over his outstretched arms. For every blocked shot that he comes up with, he alters countless other just with his mere presence and the intimidation factor he establishes early on.

In terms of his upside, there is absolutely no doubt that [the player]'s ceiling is just about as high as anyone in this draft due to his incredible physical attributes.

Something that we don’t have a great handle on at all and will be strictly up to the teams to attempt to evaluate is his age. Birth certificates are not kept in Senegal and there really is no way to estimate just how old he might be since he’s only been on the radar for a few years. There really isn’t anything concrete to go off of in this case besides the fact that almost all African prospects in the past were suspected to be older than their listed age, but this is something that could legitimately affect how much upside he is perceived to have if deemed an issue for concern.
                        That was the scouting report for Saer Sene, who ended up being the 10th pick in the 2006 draft.
                        http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Saer-Sene-246/

Now, I'm not saying that Biyombo is another Sene, but those who think that Biyombo can simply come in and be a force defensively, you have to realize that there have been plenty of players like Biyombo coming in who did nothing. If he doesn't develop much more, he'll probably be out of the league in 5 years.
                        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                          Just thought I'd post this scouting report...

That was the scouting report for Saer Sene, who ended up being the 10th pick in the 2006 draft.
                          http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Saer-Sene-246/

Now, I'm not saying that Biyombo is another Sene, but those who think that Biyombo can simply come in and be a force defensively, you have to realize that there have been plenty of players like Biyombo coming in who did nothing. If he doesn't develop much more, he'll probably be out of the league in 5 years.
                          DraftExpress: Saer Sene couldn't get off the bench for Pepinster, the worst team in Belgium. Bismack Biyombo plays for a playoff team in Spain.
                          2011-04-09 11:49:57

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...#ixzz1LMAHiwL4
                          http://www.draftexpress.com
                          Not only is he on a playoff team, he's in a much harder and more respected league in ACB. On top of that he's also leading the league in blocks with 2.3 in 18 min.
                          Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Wed May 4, 2011, 01:05 AM.

Comment

Not only is he on a playoff team, he's in a much harder and more respected league in ACB. On top of that he's also leading the league in blocks with 2.3 in 18 min.
                            I do think he's a much better prospect, no doubt, but that's not also saying a lot. I, personally, think he'll end up being, at least, a decent player, but I just thought I'd give a different perspective.
                            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Top 5 NBA-ready PF: HoopsWorld.com

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=19667

Williams
                              Jones
                              Morris 1
                              Morris 2
                              Thompson

There are those questioning Williams and Jones as SF/PF. They are definitely tweeners at this stage - a little small for PF, a little slow to guard SF and ball handling not quite good enough to beat opposing SF off dribble, think Paul Millsap.

Comment

• Some of the best you may not have seen play

today let's take a look at some of the names you are going to hear a lot about, but maybe have not seen play.
                                Derrick Williams - Arizona, Sophomore - 6'8" - PF – 19
                                If Rubio hints that he's coming to the NBA, that puts Derrick Williams the best player available to the Wolves.

Now there are other options like centers Enes Kanter, Jonas Valanciunas and Donatas Motiejunas, but none of them are worthy of the top overall pick. So if Minnesota is going to stay at #1 - which is open for debate – they have to take either Irving or Williams.

Selecting Irving insures Rubio does not come, and as good as Kyrie Irving may be in the NBA, is he a better long term prospect than Ricky Rubio?
                                Jonas Valanciunas - Lietuvos Rytas - 6'11" - C - 18

Valanciunas is arguably the best center prospect in the 2011 NBA Draft. He has size. He has power and he is a fully developed post player, who is a decent pick and roll player. His 7.6 points and 5.4 rebounds per game average is about what you expect from International players.

Valanciunas is reported to have a 7'6 wingspan, which if that measures true at the NBA Draft Combine, he'll be highly coveted in the draft process.
                                Bismack Biyombo - Baloncesto Fuenlabrada - 6'9" - PF/C - 18

The NBA has always been infatuated with freak athletes and this year Bismack Biyombo will be the buzz of the class.

Biyombo measured in at 6' 7¾" without shoes and had a massive 7' 7" wingspan at last month's Nike Hoops Summit. To put that in perspective, Shaquille O'Neal measured in with a 7' 7" wingspan in 1992, Hassan Whiteside measured in at 7' 7" in the 2010 draft class – the largest wingspans of any active NBA player.

The largest recorded wingspan in Draft Express' Measurement Database was 7' 8.75" by John Riek who measured in at 7' foot with shoes.

Biyombo is freaky long for a 6'7" player, making him a monster shot blocker.
                                Enes Kanter - Kentucky, International - 6'10" - PF/C - 18

Enes may suffer from a classic case of "out of sight out of mind". The fact that he was ruled ineligible to play for Kentucky this year, put him on the sidelines for a full year and out of spotlight as well.

Enes did not sit due to injury; in fact he trained his body and really improved his skill set. Enes opted not to take part in UK's Kentucky Combine last week, which could have answered a lot of questions about his Draft stock, especially with 20 NBA teams looking at guys like Brandon Knight, Terrence Jones and DeAndre Liggins.

Enes put up a monster 34 points and 13 rebounds for the World Select Team at last month's Nike Hoop Summit and measured in at 6'10 with shoes on and sporting a 7'1 wingspan.

Enes may be the best offensive center in the draft class, but he still enters the draft process as something of an unknown to a lot of GMs, mainly because he did not play this year. Scouts that know his game and have watched him develop rave about him, but the average NBA GM doesn't pay a lot of attention to kids two and three years out.

Enes reminded a lot of people last month why he been so coveted, but he'll still come into the draft process as something of an underdog that will have to prove he is better than front court players in the draft in front of him.
                                Jan Vesely - KK Partizan Belgrade - 6'11" - SF/PF - 21

In NBA scouting circles you often hear comparisons like a "poor man's Dirk Nowitzki" or "a tougher Andrea Bargnani" when talking about Jan Vesely.

It's easy to see why people reach like that, but it's a little unfair because Vesely is far nastier than Dirk Nowitzki was coming in and he reminds more of a young Kevin Garnett than he does a young Bargnani who always seemed lost as a rookie. Vesely is not nearly the three point threat the three players mentioned where coming in, but he is a freakish athlete and he is a bit more raw than the players he is frequently compared to.

It's highly unlikely that Vesely turns out like Dirk or KG, as both are world class, elite level players
                                Donatas Motiejunas - Benetton Treviso, International - 7'0" - PF/C - 20

It will be interesting to see where Motiejunas measures in physically during in the draft process. He is listed at 7'0, but he looks more like he'll clock in at 6"10-6"11. He is also listed at 215 pounds, which also doesn't line up with how he looks. He looks a bit heavier than that.

If Motiejunas can measure in at 6"11 and 230 pounds, he's going to be beast at the next level.

He has really developed his body and he is a solid presence in the paint. Some say he is the best low post scorer in International basketball. We'll have to see if that holds true at the next level.
                                Motiejunas is an intriguing NBA prospect and for teams like Toronto that are looking to add a physical presence in the paint or Charlotte that is looking for a big body with upside, Motiejunas might be their guy.
                                Kawhi Leonard - San Diego State, Sophomore - 6'7" - SF - 19

Admittedly, it's hard not to like Kawhi Leonard at the next level. He is a prototypical NBA small forward that averaged 15.5 points per game and 10.6 rebounds per contest at San Diego State.

Informed sources continue to say Leonard will be gone in the top 10, which means someone already has a man-crush on Leonard and is talking about it.
                                Lucas Nogueira - MMT Estudiantes, International - 6'11" - C - 18

Lucas is going to be an interesting prospect to track. He is Brazilian-born and 6'11.5" without shoes. He has a measured wingspan of 7'5.5" and a standing reach of 9'3" and he's 18 years old.

That's either a monster at the next level or a very highly rated bust – flip a coin.

Lucas does not jump off the page with his intensity or his focus, but there are moments when you see a real NBA player in his game. The problem is a team is going to need a little vision and a lot of patience with his growth.

If a NBA team that is committed to player development like the Houston Rockets, San Antonio Spurs or the Oklahoma City Thunder can get their hands on him; he could be a very nice NBA player.

If a NBA team drafts him and expects him to contribute right away they may lose patience with his growth curve.

As they say you cannot teach size and Lucas has all of the physical tools to be a solid NBA player.

Last year Hassan Whiteside came in with similar size and reputation as a player and ended up in the second round as he proved to be too flaky for some teams liking. He was too much of a project for the first round and that may be the case for Lucas.
                                Source: HoopsHype.com

I've said this many times but I'll throw it out there again given the quote above. If the Raptors take Motiejunas I'm walking off the set.

Comment

Working...
                                X