X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Five Prospects

Here is who you need to know:

1. Kyrie Irving - Duke, Freshman - PG - 6'2" - 185lbs - 18

Find a scout in the NBA that does not have Kyrie Irving as the top name on his board and you'll likely find a scout looking for a job. The big question surrounding Kyrie is the condition of his foot and how well the damaged tendons in his right big toe are healing.

Irving's injury was a quirky tendon related injury and there were real doubts he'd fully recover in time to be a candidate in the 2011 NBA Draft, however more and more people believe he is taking his time on his rehab with an eye more towards the NBA draft than returning to the floor for Duke.

If Irving can prove in workouts he is 100% there is almost no doubt he'll be the top name called in June 23rd's NBA Draft.

A crafyt point guard with amazing speed, Irving is exactly what NBA teams covet.

The fact Irving is a pretty polished shooter at 18 years of age makes him an extremely desirable prospect.

2. Jonas Valanciunas - Lietuvos Rytas C - 6'11" - 240lbs - 18

In a draft lacking a true post-power player, Jonas might be the best post-type big in the class. He is currently playing in Lithuania for powerhouse Lietuvos Rytas and putting up reasonable numbers in Euroleague play – 7.6 points, 5.4 rebounds and 91.7% from the free throw line on 14.5 minutes per game. Run those numbers at a 40-minute per game average and his stats get silly.

Jonas is a legit 6'11, and is said to have a wingspan in excess of 7'6", putting him in the same wingspan range as Washington's JaVale McGee and the Clippers' DeAndre Jordan and just a touch shorter than Hasheem Thabeet. Said another way – freakishly long.

Jonas is a bit raw offensively, which could cause his stock to slide when he is worked out against more polished players like Ohio's Jared Sullinger.

Scouts who have seen him play say the kid is a monster, so we'll have to see how the process plays out. But with 112 days until the draft, Jonas is looking like the top big in the class.

3. Jared Sullinger - Ohio State, Freshman - PF - 6'8" - 250lbs - 18

If Jared were 3 inches taller, he'd be the top pick in a walk, but a 6'8 power forward/center is a bit undersized. That hasn't stopped Jared from being the most dominant big in college basketball, but like other solid front court players before him Jared is going to battle prototype issues with his size.

NBA teams want 6'10 front court players, and Jared is going to have to convince them he can play among the trees.

Jared has all of the tools to be really good at the next level, so he's likely the 2nd or 3rd name called in June.

There is almost nothing wrong with Jared's game. How he measures in at the NBA Draft Combine will go a long ways towards determining if he's the 2nd pick or the 5th pick.

If he measures in smaller than 6'8 he could have problems.

4. Perry Jones - Baylor, Freshman - PF - 6'11" - 220lbs - 19

Perry is the freak athlete of the bunch. He is incredibly long and athletic. He runs the floor hard. He is a reasonable finisher around the basket, and his leaping ability is off the charts.

The biggest knock on Perry in the draft process is going to be his numbers, but if you look deeper, you'll see of all the front court NBA prospects targeted for the 2011 Draft, Perry has the lowest usage rate of them all, and that's mainly because of how Baylor uses him.

In a workout setting Perry could really emerge as a stud, and in talking with scouts and talent evaluators most feel Perry could have the best upside of any player in the class and he is a legit 6'11.

If there is one "dare-to-be-great" pick so far, it may be Perry Jones.

5. Derrick Williams - Arizona, Sophomore - PF - 6'8" - 235lbs - 19

The numbers on Derrick Williams do not lie. He is among the best in the nation in True Shooting percentage at 71% just behind Ohio States' Jon Diebler. He is among the best in the country at getting to the foul line with 11.7 free throw attempts per game and he's the eighth-best scorer in the nation at 25.5 points per game and he grabs about 8 rebounds a game. Not bad for a frontcourt player.

He is a little undersized to be a power forward at the next level, but beyond that there is almost nothing wrong with Williams' game.

Williams could be a very nice pick up in the middle of the top 5, and if he has a strong tournament run, watch his stock continue to tick up.
    Source: Hoops World

If Colangelo lands in the #2-4 range he's going to have a tough choice on his hand. Take the best talent available even if they don't need a guy at that spot or reach for a lesser talent? I think he needs to go with the talent. I could see Perry Jones in Toronto IF they don't win the lotto.

Comment

• "Hold up, heyyy"

Barnes buried a 3-pointer in the final seconds Wednesday to give No. 13 North Carolina a 72-70 win over Florida State. It was the latest nice moment for a freshman who's had a bunch recently, another big shot for a kid who is finishing as strong as he started slow. Barnes is averaging 17.9 points and 6.4 rebounds during UNC's past 10 games. Wednesday's clutch shot ensured the Tar Heels will have an opportunity to play for an outright ACC championship against Duke on Saturday. But what I found more impressive than the shot was the idea that led to the shot.

It was a straight isolation play at the top of the key.

NBA-style.

You know how a coach will give the ball to Kobe Bryant or LeBron James late and just tell him to go make a play and win the game? That's basically what Roy Williams did with Barnes. Williams got Barnes the ball at the top and asked him to win the game, and he did. It was the latest bit of evidence that suggests Williams trusts Barnes immensely, and an undeniable sign that Barnes is blossoming into everything he was supposed to be.

Granted, he still won't be National Player of the Year.

But Most Outstanding Player of next week's ACC tournament suddenly seems like a reasonable goal.
      Source: "Barnes' play now matching potential", CBS Sports

Barnes is on a similar path to DeMar DeRozan so far. Let's see if he can make the magic work in the ACC Championship game though.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        Source: Hoops World

If Colangelo lands in the #2-4 range he's going to have a tough choice on his hand. Take the best talent available even if they don't need a guy at that spot or reach for a lesser talent? I think he needs to go with the talent. I could see Perry Jones in Toronto IF they don't win the lotto.
        I read this earlier today at work and thought the exact same thing. If Irving was unavailable, I'd take a gamble on Jones, IF and only IF, they could put to bed the whispers of his effort/desire/work ethic. I do not 100% trust BC's judgement on giving out contracts but when it comes to the draft he has my full vote of confidence.

Comment

• Agreed. Not to mention Jay Triano doesn't seem strong enough to break bad habits in players if his coaching of defense is any indication...

Comment

• If Irving isn't the pick, I'd look at Barnes. The kid is quietly stringing together some pretty decent games and starting to show the promise everyone was raving about at the beginning of the season.

Comment

• Yeah barnes has taken over my top SF spot the past week. The game winner just solidified it. He doesn't have any of the character concerns Perry or Williams have and he'd mesh nicely with Davis. The more I see of him the more I think he's going to be a real star.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• What's everyones big board look like? As of right now if I'm calling the shots i'd go with:

1. Irving. Reminds me of CP3, a franchise pg. Freakish athlete.
                2. Barnes. See my post above.
                3. Williams. Everything looks great it's just the character concerns that could be an issue.
                4. Burks. BIG point guard. Can hit shots from anywhere. Reminds of of Westbrook with a better jumpshot. Not a terrific facilitator, yet.
                5. Jones. I'm not really as high on this guy as you all are but his athleticism is undeniable.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• To me, in a perfect world, we'd pull a blazers and end up with Burks and Barnes. Would have to trade pieces (Calderon? Bargs?) to get into the top ten twice but what a exciting team we'd have. I'm dreaming, obviously.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Madman wrote: View Post
                    no im not expecting him to be lebron and im not saying he's going to be terrible, im saying he's 24 and i dont see him being a long term starting Sf in the NBA, so why not get a guy who has the potential to be a star at the same position and let Johnson come of the bench
                    24 isn't old, this isn't the medeival times where people died at like 40.

Comment

• This is not the draft where you trade known commodities for a toss of the dice.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Agreed. Not to mention Jay Triano doesn't seem strong enough to break bad habits in players if his coaching of defense is any indication...
                        The writing has to be on the wall for JT. In my opinion, the team needs new direction on the bench. There are a lot of positives with the team moving forward but there has been a lot negatives as well. I think BC has shown a shift in acquiring players but there has not been a shift in the results for those players on the court. I have no doubt JT knows his stuff but it does not appear the message is getting through to the extent where on court, in game improvement is shown.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          What's everyones big board look like? As of right now if I'm calling the shots i'd go with:

3. Williams. Everything looks great it's just the character concerns that could be an issue.
                          4. Burks. BIG point guard. Can hit shots from anywhere. Reminds of of Westbrook with a better jumpshot. Not a terrific facilitator, yet.
                          5. Jones. I'm not really as high on this guy as you all are but his athleticism is undeniable.
                          My big board:

1) Irving
                          2) P. Jones/Barnes/T. Jones
                          3) P. Jones/Barnes/T. Jones
                          4) P. Jones/Barnes/T. Jones
                          5) Kanter

Not very original I know. P. Jones (work ethic, drive) and T. Jones (maturity) have issues I would want checked out first but if they did check out, I'm not sure which of the three SF's I'd go for. P. Jones obviously has the most potential but also seems to have the most risk. Kanter's knees would have to check out as well.

Burks appears to be like a much larger Barbosa - more of a SG but capable of playing PG in small spells.

I would not use a top pick on Burks. Maybe trade down to Charlotte? Use CHA"s pick and NOH pick they have to get Burks and Faried? Although Jordan would definitely tell the media and then pull out last minute.

Comment

• I don't think irving will be coming out this year he is still injuried

Comment

• Word is he's been working out hard to be ready, not in time for march madness, but the draft.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                What's everyones big board look like? As of right now if I'm calling the shots i'd go with:

Have you even seen the play? He is not a freakish athlete, he is not a Rose or Wall, he is a good athlete that uses change of pace and excellent foot work to get by defenders. The kid is a baller and I would love to get him on the Raptors.
                                Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                                X