2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
    It might be bad for Irving if his play is not as good after he comes back (ie. drops a few spots), but regardless how he plays it is good news for the Raps if he declares for the draft.

He is at least another very good prospect at the top. If the Raps dont get him at least someone else will have taken him and another top prospect will be left on the board.
    Too true.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I posted a scenario in the Raptors Trade Proposal forum where the Raps would trade the draft pick here.

If the Raps can't secure a top tier player like Barnes or Irving (extremely talented, mature, proven work ethic), I would look to trade the draft pick. There is too much riding on this pick to risk a promising player like Perry Jones never reaching his potential, a guy like Kanter becoming the next Brandon Roy, or a guy like Terrence Jones living up to the lazy and problem child rep (which may or may not be warranted).

If you have any comments on this idea, please post in the Raptors Trade Proposal forum. Thanks.
      If they were to trade the pick because the draft is weak, wouldn't everyone else have the same flier on this draft? Would they be able to get good value in the pick? I think back to 2006, which had a similar feel to this draft. Using that draft as an example I would say the answer to the question is no.

And that's not even getting into Colangelo's track record of using draft picks compared to when he trades them away. It's like comparing Fillet Mignon to a dog turd. I have no faith in Colangelo winning a trade where he moves the pick.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        If they were to trade the pick because the draft is weak, wouldn't everyone else have the same flier on this draft? Would they be able to get good value in the pick? I think back to 2006, which had a similar feel to this draft. Using that draft as an example I would say the answer to the question is no.

And that's not even getting into Colangelo's track record of using draft picks compared to when he trades them away. It's like comparing Fillet Mignon to a dog turd. I have no faith in Colangelo winning a trade where he moves the pick.
        Apollo, I'm not sure you looked at the trades themselves or the explanations in the trade forum. The bottom line is if the Raps can insert Raymond Felton and Josh Smith in to the starting lineup for basically Jose and the draft pick (and Barnes/Irving are not available), I say do it. I play with the trade machine for fun. I honestly don't think it would happen. However, before I started posting here last July, in very late June/early July I was playing with the trade machine and said, "They should trade Jose and Evans for Diaw and Chandler." Obviously the trade didn't go through but nearly did and of course was made public. From that moment I've been hooked - kind of like winning bingo your first time there. Anyways, have a look through what I wrote.

A veteran team looking to keep winning after their main guys are through - much like BOS picking up Jeff Green - might have no issue taking a high lotto pick. A bad team like TOR needing instant improvements might not feel the same way. Just hypothesizing.

Comment

• matt, I would rather build through the draft to have players here for the long term unless we are getting dwight howard with a contract extension lol which is unrealistic we need to stay the course we are on.

ruuuu, I am a firm believer in adding competition at positions if we can't fill a need at the spot we need, The NFL has that type of mind set and it works well for them to stay young and competitive. If barnes is the best on the board when we pick we take him because I personally am not happy with derozan's defense. They list him at 6'6 but I think he is more like 6'4 which fits with my eye test that he seems small against other SG. I am not saying barnes will be a good defender at the SG spot but to me it looks like he has the foot speed.

From trying to watch all the players we could draft irving if health checks out, kemba or jimmer as back up options, faried to replace evans because we all know he is not coming back, barnes to have competition and/or replacement for barbosa I don't believe in weems is that guy that whole back issue tinted my opinion on him, terrance jones could be a solid pick for a starting SF from what I seen I like his game despite whats out there about him, that game I put up showed we can guard 2 or 3 positions.

IMO bargnani, calderon, kleiza and bayless should not be part of the future of this team IF we can get value for them. BC has been able to move people but he may not be here, I hope he is but who knows. If there was anytime to rebuild from the top down it would be now.

Comment

• Article on Perry Jones:
            http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/ma...pagewanted=all

As always, the article points out he is an athletic freak of epic proportions.

It further suggests that his lack of dominance is not because of lack of hustle or caring, but he's just too "nice of a kid". Not the worst situtation to take a gamble on. Not the best, but not the worst either.

And as I pointed out in an earlier post, BC is the type to gamble on risky/athletic guys at the draft. Amare, Marion, and DD were are all guys who had holes in their games but had the athleticism that made them intreguing. Even Bargs fits into this trend, because Aldridge was the more conventional prospect, but BC went with the high-risk-high-reward potential matchup problem in Bargs.

My opinion: In this draft, I would also swing for the fences and take him over more solid prospects like D.Williams, J.Sullinger.

Comment

• Ruuuuu wrote: View Post
              Article on Perry Jones:
              http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/13/ma...pagewanted=all

As always, the article points out he is an athletic freak of epic proportions.

It further suggests that his lack of dominance is not because of lack of hustle or caring, but he's just too "nice of a kid". Not the worst situtation to take a gamble on. Not the best, but not the worst either.

And as I pointed out in an earlier post, BC is the type to gamble on risky/athletic guys at the draft. Amare, Marion, and DD were are all guys who had holes in their games but had the athleticism that made them intreguing. Even Bargs fits into this trend, because Aldridge was the more conventional prospect, but BC went with the high-risk-high-reward potential matchup problem in Bargs.

My opinion: In this draft, I would also swing for the fences and take him over more solid prospects like D.Williams, J.Sullinger.
              Ive been on the fence about Pjones. i think it all depends how he does in workouts. keep in mind alot of BC's draft picks are based on skill, potential and also who the player is off the court. the raps try to take really nice guys and guys that they think will want to play for the team and stay away fro headcases. I think our pick will be one of these 3 barnes, D.williams, P.jones ( no irving because we only get him if we win the lotto. if we win then id take irving.) Alot of mock drafts had Pjones going number one all year until the last 2 weeks, might be a smart draft pcik for the raps. the other thing i like about Pjones is that he could end up being a small forward, a pf, or mossibly a C in certain sittuations if he really bulked. I really like the garnett comparison and think it is a good one.

Comment

• you know the more i tihnk about it, i have a feeling that BC take P.jones. Jones at SF and Davis at power forward would be deadly and give the raptors so much length and height with Andrea playing center.

Another thing to remember is Jones is playing for baylor where many thought he wasnt used correctly. If he is playing with a PG like calderon i tihnk he will do much better at the NBA level.
                Last edited by pesterm1; Tue Mar 15, 2011, 02:00 AM.

Comment

• Taking Perry Jones would lead to 1 [big] prob (we sorta have it already) no one in the starting 5 would be able to consistently hit a 3.

Demar = No Range
                  Bargs = Range but not very consistent and is trying to work inside more
                  Jose = Don't know how long he'll be around
                  Amir = No

Trade down and get another draft pick and get Fredette!

Somewhat on topic, which team do you guys think will be in the finals this season? I'm going a very weak limb and saying BYU (waits for people to call me stupid) over Texas.

I know that's not very realistic becuase BYU has no interior player so as backup...

Kansas over Texas

Final 4 = Ohio st, Texas, Kansas, BYU
                  Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Tue Mar 15, 2011, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• UK, kansas, florida, conn that is my guess I haven't done well at this in a long time lol.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                      Taking Perry Jones would lead to 1 [big] prob (we sorta have it already) no one in the starting 5 would be able to consistently hit a 3.

Demar = No Range
                      Bargs = Range but not very consistent and is trying to work inside more
                      Jose = Don't know how long he'll be around
                      Amir = No

Trade down and get another draft pick and get Fredette!

Somewhat on topic, which team do you guys think will be in the finals this season? I'm going a very weak limb and saying BYU (waits for people to call me stupid) over Texas.

I know that's not very realistic becuase BYU has no interior player so as backup...

Kansas over Texas

Final 4 = Ohio st, Texas, Kansas, BYU
                      "Given DeRozan’s strong work ethic and the marked improvement in his mid and long jumpers, I foresee him improving his 3 point range significantly this off-season. " - Tom liston

Read more: http://raptorsrepublic.com/2011/03/1...#ixzz1GfimO9Nt

Well like i said in a previous post to you, derozan SHOULD have an improoved 3 pointer in time and im not the only one who thinks so.

Comment

• I could really see BC taking jones the more I think about it.

And it horrifies me.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• NBAdraft.net has Barnes going to Toronto at #5. I think if they were to take him he would not have the instant impact people will expect but he would be a good selection.

I think Kemba Walker has Brandon Jennings type potential. High talent but will probably enter the draft underrated and slide under the radar of many teams. Someone is going to get a good player in the back end of the lotto with him if falls that far. Phoenix may have the luxury of having to choose between him and Brandon Knight. That's would be a pretty sweet situation for them given they're probably selecting around where the Raptors were last off-season and they are in need of a young PG of the future.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            NBAdraft.net has Barnes going to Toronto at #5. I think if they were to take him he would not have the instant impact people will expect but he would be a good selection.

I think Kemba Walker has Brandon Jennings type potential. High talent but will probably enter the draft underrated and slide under the radar of many teams. Someone is going to get a good player in the back end of the lotto with him if falls that far. Phoenix may have the luxury of having to choose between him and Brandon Knight. That's would be a pretty sweet situation for them given they're probably selecting around where the Raptors were last off-season and they are in need of a young PG of the future.
                            This years draft is best for late lotto and mid round picks, because there is a lot of 'decent' talent, just no 'star' talent (apart from Irving, and maybe Barnes)

Comment

• pesterm1 wrote: View Post
                              you know the more i tihnk about it, i have a feeling that BC take P.jones. Jones at SF and Davis at power forward would be deadly and give the raptors so much length and height with Andrea playing center.

Another thing to remember is Jones is playing for baylor where many thought he wasnt used correctly. If he is playing with a PG like calderon i tihnk he will do much better at the NBA level.
                              ceez wrote: View Post
                              I could really see BC taking jones the more I think about it.

And it horrifies me.
                              Yeah when I think of this year's draft and what position the Raps are slated to be in, PJones has BC written all over him.

As I said though, Im not totally against it. Here's something to conider, click on a few prospect profiles from the 2006 draft:
                              http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_draft_history/2006.html

Now click on Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo
                              http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rudy-gay
                              http://www.nbadraft.net/players/rajon-rondo

What do you notice?

There's something to be said for taking that most fastest+quickest+athletic guy at his postion, drooling with the "10" potential.

Do the same exercise with this year's draft class:
                              http://www.nbadraft.net/2011mock_draft

and click on Perry Jones
                              http://www.nbadraft.net/players/perry-jones

.....Hey man, if you want to hit a home run you cant be afraid to miss. Gotta interview him and his coaches etc, make sure he shows desire to improve his game. But I say after Irving and Barnes, Im all aboard the PJones train.
                              Last edited by Ruuuuu; Tue Mar 15, 2011, 12:28 PM.

Comment

• I could certainly see Jones end up being the best player in the draft, there's just too many unknowns for my liking.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X