No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah I'd stay away from him completely. Big baby Davis was a much better collegiate player and still slipped pretty far in the draft. He's turned out to be pretty decent but I don't think he would have done anything if he wasn't on such a veteran team with a respected coach.

Raps don't have that, taking on anyone with character concerns or weight/work issues isn't a option imo.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• If we had a second round pick maybe I dunno
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        Are you talking about using our top 5 pick on this guy, or making a trade to get another draft pick? Because there is NOBODY who thinks Josh Smith is a top ten guy. I haven't seen a top 20 or top 30 mock draft with him on it.
        Oh for sure.. yah not using our top 5 on him.. I am happy making a play for barnes.. maybe working something like a weems + something for a late first round and trying to scoop him up somehow?

Comment

• Man this year's draft is really going to be a test for each GM's ability to evaluate talent.

You got prospects at every different position, so you have to judge how Barnes (SF/SG) will do in the NBA relative to Sullinger (PF), for example.

But then you also got so many different styles at each postion...for example you have to judge between Kemba/BKnight/Fredette, who tranlates better to the NBA

Similarilty: Tjones/DWilliams/Vesely

Also: Kanter/Valanciunas

And then in the background you have this wildcard Perry Jones...

Yo the draft is going to be craaaaazy. Even the workouts leading up to it will be interesting.

This is our PLAYOFFS BABY!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Also funny little tidbit......

Raptors are actually going into this whole process with their GM who is unsigned

hahaha....even when its difficult for everyone, the Raptors have to throw a little extra wrinkle in it for themselves

Comment

• Barnes seems clutch when the game matters most. He only had 2 rebounds today but they were in the final few minutes. He had 5 points down the stretch and eventhough he missed some shots he came up huge with 2 key steals and one outlet off the steal. I like him.

The other thing I noticed about him - granted it was planted in my brain after reading the DE article linked earlier - he really is Mr. Emotional Steady-Eddy. Whether he turned it over, hit the big 3 his expression did not change. I think that is extremely important.

And he is only 18!

Comment

• That Morris kid out of Michigan really impressed me. He should stay another year, but he really looks like he could be special.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I know he is not coming out this year but anyone have thoughs on Tim hardaway Jr. From Michigan. At 6'5 I like his game and maybe be a point guard in he nba

Comment

• I think I found my point guard sleeper pick for the draft Tyshawn Taylor kansas

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                      I know he is not coming out this year but anyone have thoughs on Tim hardaway Jr. From Michigan. At 6'5 I like his game and maybe be a point guard in he nba
                      Tim Jr. is not a point guard in the NBA, I do see him as a solid shooting guard prospect though.

Taylor has been on my radar for 2 years now, I expected him to have better numbers this year, but with the Morris twins getting lots of touches I see why he looks average. He has good size, decent defensive abilities and can shoot the ball, he seems to take the odd possession off and had the suspension earlier in the year so there are questions. Will he even come out this year, I don't know, but he could be a late first round guy that pans out. On a side note, he was coached by Bob Hurley Sr. in high school, so he can handle a tough coach.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                        Tim Jr. is not a point guard in the NBA, I do see him as a solid shooting guard prospect though.

Taylor has been on my radar for 2 years now, I expected him to have better numbers this year, but with the Morris twins getting lots of touches I see why he looks average. He has good size, decent defensive abilities and can shoot the ball, he seems to take the odd possession off and had the suspension earlier in the year so there are questions. Will he even come out this year, I don't know, but he could be a late first round guy that pans out. On a side note, he was coached by Bob Hurley Sr. in high school, so he can handle a tough coach.
                        I agree I like taylor's size and I don't think the suspension is a big deal it was only 2 games. I like the fact that he doesn't dribble the air out of the ball and makes good decisions when he does have it. If there was a stats for the person that made the pass to give the assist his numbers would be pretty sweet but on a team like kansas players like him are bound to be hidden. His defensive is impressive, I don't see much guard penetration for easy baskets. One more thing that I really want to see out of a point guard is change of pace and he has it! It shows he is reading the defense and waiting on the reaction to exploit it.

I think he can be a deron williams in this draft on a good team so no one sees him coming. I am changing my top 5 lol after watching him.

irving
                        faried
                        terrence
                        taylor
                        barnes

if we can get 2 out of those 5 players in this draft by trading down i will be a happy man.

Comment

• Time to stop inaccurately labeling Kemba a SG.

Kendall Marshall is the best passer in college basketball.

Are you going to disagree? The North Carolina freshman has 24 assists and just 16 points in the first two rounds. With all due respect to UAB's Aaron Johnson and Michigan's Darius Morris, Marshall is blessed with extraordinary court vision. He's similar to Mark Jackson in that he doesn't do a whole lot but create easy shots for teammates. Harrison Barnes' resurgence in the last two months can largely be credited to Marshall taking more and more minutes at point guard.
                          But Kemba Walker can pass, too.

Walker, the nation's most exciting player, opened his NCAA Tournament with a 12-assist performance that showed he's so much more than a highlight-reel scorer. Even his 33-point second-round showing against Cincinnati saw more restraint than he's shown at times this year. Walker is the clear leader for Connecticut, but it's refreshing to see him gain trust in his teammates. The Huskies need Walker to jack up 15-to-20 shots or so in order to beat elite teams, but he's been rightly accused of forcing the issue in several losses, and he's shown great patience so far.
                          Source: NBADraft.net

Comment

• Impact of the looming lockout

the stars of Texas, Tristan Thompson and Jordan Hamilton, said on Saturday that they would return to Austin next season.

And when Arizona’s Derrick Williams said, as he did Saturday, that he would come back to Tucson.

Kids can’t be expected to make this call, yes, but there is one detail that could factor into the equation.

A looming lockout could mean no NBA hoops next season, complicating the decision facing some of college basketball’s top players.
                            The NCAA Tournament is filled with prospects. Duke freshman point guard Kyrie Irving, who has returned from a toe injury, is considered by some to be the top prospect.

Freshman forwards Jared Sullinger of Ohio State, Harrison Barnes of North Carolina and Terrence Jones of Kentucky are also among those who prominently show up on draft lists.

They’ll all have to make a choice that could come down to a simple decision: Return to college and play, or risk heading to the NBA and not playing.

“The lockout is an interesting twist,” Kansas coach Bill Self said. “It doesn’t do a lot of good to get drafted real high if you’re not going to get paid.”

Texas coach Rick Barnes said the lockout would be part of any postseason discussion with the families of players considering the move.

“We do that every time there’s a situation like this,” Barnes said. “But (the lockout) will definitely be part of our discussion.”

The NBA’s collective bargaining agreement is set to expire on June 30, a few days after the draft. College underclassmen who enter the draft have until May 8 to withdraw. But once the season ends for the teams of the star underclassmen, their heads will spin with questions.

How long could a work stoppage last? The 1998-99 labor discord dragged on for months. Finally, a 50-game season was cobbled together.

Do they play next year and risk injury or a poor season that decreases their value? Or does returning for another year strengthen their game and value?

Rookies receive two-year guaranteed contracts. A lockout that would delay starting a career could shorten the time to make an impression. Playing overseas could be a possibility for players intending to leave college.

If enough decide to return, the 2012 draft will be loaded with talent, and those who come out this summer can take advantage.

But if enough college underclassmen return next year, the college game’s skill level could rise considerably. NCAA favorites will be established — Duke with Irving, North Carolina with Barnes, Texas with Thompson and Hamilton, Kansas with the Morris twins, and Arizona with Williams.

And the college game could soon get more pronouncements like the ones heard in Tulsa on Saturday.

“Our team next year, if everyone comes back, we’ll be dangerous — more than we are now,” Thompson said. “All right, I’ll just say it, I’m coming back another year.”
                            Source: The Kansas City Star

Comment

• Fredette Rising Rapidly

Increasingly, NBA scouts and personnel people are solidifying their opinions about BYU star Jimmer Fredette. He has averaged 28.8 points per game this year and has made himself a surefire lottery pick in this year’s draft. He has only helped his prospects in two NCAA tournament games, averaging 33 points and 6.5 assists.

Fredette’s lottery status may come as a surprise to some around the league who, before the season, saw Fredette as a good shooter who would probably go late in the first round. But it doesn’t surprise the guy who is likely to be the NBA MVP—Bulls point guard Derrick Rose, who played against Fredette last summer during Team USA training camp.

“He has not surprised me at all with what he is doing this year,” Rose said. “I love watching him play. The way he played in the USA thing, he was great; he played with a lot of confidence. He is not intimidated by anyone. You could tell he wanted to be there and I am happy for him.”

Rose, asked about Fredette’s potential as an NBA player, wasn’t about to play scout. But he did say, “I don’t know, we’ll have to see. I don’t see why he can’t be really good at the next level with the way he shoots. But he is a great player right now, he is leading his team the way that he is supposed to and he’s a great scorer.”
                              Source: aol.SportingNews.com

If you don't recall, the only player the Raptors ever selected from BYU was in the lottery and well...
                              The universe needs positive balancing after that one.

Comment

• Not height, no. It's more of a strength/physicality issue.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X