Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MangoKid wrote: View Post
    Davis was never slated to go lotto. At 6'6" and 320,
    6'-9" you mean? And I remember him being listed closer to 300. Still, a big kid with conditioning problems none the less. haha

But in his Second Year at LSU he put up 19 & 10 with an Assist, a Steal and a Block. While shooting 50%.
    Had he not stayed for another season, I could definitely see him going Lottery.
    He put up better numbers than Sullinger even!

Can't see why people wouldn't be talking about him in the Early half of the 1st Round.

If memory serves he absolutely was slated at least to go in the 1st Round, because I remember being surprised he slipped all the way to Seattle at 35.
    Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 11, 2011, 11:40 AM.

Comment

I think another big thing is with the lockout looming, if it's a year long lockout, the players won't get paid, so what's the incentive for a kid to enter the NBA draft if they're not gonna get paid? Most are looking at it as an oppourunity to stay in school and play ball with their friends as they go on a title run. There's still a lot of exposure in that. Sure, there's always the possibility of getting injured and having your stock drop, but what's worse - entering a draft early, leaving school and not doing anything for a year or going back to school and playing ball?
      I see it as being in a weak draft, you're more likely to get selected higher, and thus get the higher Rookie Pay Scale depending on where you are selected. Even if they have to wait a season to get paid, I can't see it being that difficult for them to secure a loan with a Guarenteed Salary of $2-3M instead of say $800K if they wait for a Jam Packed draft. My opinion anyway.

I'd declare if I were them... hahaha

Comment

• you can't call it a weak draft until you see how good the players are. You never know this could end up a better draft than we think.

Comment

• Bismack Biyombo

This guy is a beast, lets draft him, plays with alot of hustle, like Pops Mensah Bonsu, but talented.

6'9, 243 lbs, 10 blocks vs Team USA yesterday!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...e.hoop.summit/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Biyombo-5902/

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            6'-9" you mean? And I remember him being listed closer to 300. Still, a big kid with conditioning problems none the less. haha

But in his Second Year at LSU he put up 19 & 10 with an Assist, a Steal and a Block. While shooting 50%.
            Had he not stayed for another season, I could definitely see him going Lottery.
            He put up better numbers than Sullinger even!

Can't see why people wouldn't be talking about him in the Early half of the 1st Round.

If memory serves he absolutely was slated at least to go in the 1st Round, because I remember being surprised he slipped all the way to Seattle at 35.
            Maybe 6'9" in lifts! I remember clicking on a player profile of his ESPN when I first found out about him in 2004 and it had stated that the kid was 6'6"-6'7" and 315. He obviously worked hard and lost weight since his freshman year at Baton Rouge. As for the stats he put up at LSU, he was dominating because how many kids were like him in the college game at that time? How many could bang down low with him? It wasn't uncommon to see guys at his height playing the 5. I was suprised that he fell out of the first round as well, then again, a lot of mock drafts leading up to the draft had him going mid-second round and he went high second round - but there's no way he was gonna be a lotto selection, not at his height.

nbadraft.net had him going #47 to the Wizards - LINK
            Meanwhile, draftexpress had him going #36 to the Warriors LINK
            So, in that respect, I don't think Davis really was going lotto.

As for him putting up better numbers than Sullinger, sure, in his junior season. And the numbers he put his in 3rd season of college ball was just marginally better than what Sullinger did this season - in his freshman year - in a year that his team was the best college basketball team in the nation for the majority of the season.
            Last edited by MangoKid; Mon Apr 11, 2011, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I see it as being in a weak draft, you're more likely to get selected higher, and thus get the higher Rookie Pay Scale depending on where you are selected. Even if they have to wait a season to get paid, I can't see it being that difficult for them to secure a loan with a Guarenteed Salary of $2-3M instead of say $800K if they wait for a Jam Packed draft. My opinion anyway.

I'd declare if I were them... hahaha
              In the case of Sullinger, I can't see him falling out the top-7 next season. No way. Either way, he's gonna get paid. For him, staying means an extra year of being at home, at school that he lives and dies for and where he's treated like a god. Like I said before, the money's gonna be there for him, so I don't think there's a big loss of him going back to school.

Comment

• Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                you can't call it a weak draft until you see how good the players are. You never know this could end up a better draft than we think.
                Especially if this class gets more playing time (development) than would otherwise.

Comment

Maybe 6'9" in lifts! I remember clicking on a player profile of his ESPN when I first found out about him in 2004 and it had stated that the kid was 6'6"-6'7" and 315. He obviously worked hard and lost weight since his freshman year at Baton Rouge. As for the stats he put up at LSU, he was dominating because how many kids were like him in the college game at that time? How many could bang down low with him? It wasn't uncommon to see guys at his height playing the 5. I was suprised that he fell out of the first round as well, then again, a lot of mock drafts leading up to the draft had him going mid-second round and he went high second round - but there's no way he was gonna be a lotto selection, not at his height.

As for him putting up better numbers than Sullinger, sure, in his junior season. And the numbers he put his in 3rd season of college ball was just marginally better than what Sullinger did this season - in his freshman year - in a year that his team was the best college basketball team in the nation for the majority of the season.
                  I've never seen him listed as 6'6" or 6'7". But perhaps we are looking different places.
                  DraftExpress gives guys height as per the Official Measurements, and they've got him at 6'8" without Shoes. So I guess he's in the middle of what we're both saying.
                  And they've got Sullinger at 6'-8". Who will also have to work extremely hard his entire career to keep his Weight down.

GDs numbers as a Sophomore were better than Sullingers as a Freshman.
                  His numbers as a Freshman, were almost, but not quite, comparable.
                  I'm sayiing, had he declared after his Sophomore season, he would have gone 15 or Higher.
                  In my opinion and from what I remember.

But lets say Sullinger doesn't stay on his Regimen and Balloons up to 300+. And his numbers aren't QUITE as good as they are this year, (Ala Big Baby) and Ohio doesn't do QUITE as well as they did this year. I can't see that being a Top 7 pick, especially with all the Talent that will be coming out next year.

Comment

I've never seen him listed as 6'6" or 6'7". But perhaps we are looking different places.
                    DraftExpress gives guys height as per the Official Measurements, and they've got him at 6'8" without Shoes. So I guess he's in the middle of what we're both saying.
                    And they've got Sullinger at 6'-8". Who will also have to work extremely hard his entire career to keep his Weight down.

GDs numbers as a Sophomore were better than Sullingers as a Freshman.
                    His numbers as a Freshman, were almost, but not quite, comparable.
                    I'm sayiing, had he declared after his Sophomore season, he would have gone 15 or Higher.
                    In my opinion and from what I remember.

But lets say Sullinger doesn't stay on his Regimen and Balloons up to 300+. And his numbers aren't QUITE as good as they are this year, (Ala Big Baby) and Ohio doesn't do QUITE as well as they did this year. I can't see that being a Top 7 pick, especially with all the Talent that will be coming out next year.
                    Yeah, Sullinger is 6'7" and 3/4 without shoes. With it, he's 6'9". Davis is closer to 6'7", which means he's probably 6'6" 1/2 - 6'6" 3/4. And while Sullinger is listed at 286, he's not at that weight. He's probably somewhere in the 260's. A lot of people questionned his conditioning but he came into the season, but he showed up in pretty decent shape. You're talking about a lot of variables and a lot of IF's. There is talent coming into the NCAA next season, however, I do believe in Sullinger. He's a good kid, he's a good leader and his ball IQ is very high. He doesn't get boxed out by opponents very often and I think he'll still be top-7 next season.

The difference between Davis and Sullinger is that Davis in his sophmore year was WELL over 300 pounds. And with a kid who's 6'6" 1/2-6'6" 3/4 and over 300 pounds, people can't help but think of Tractor Traylor. That's the reason why he was never considered as a lotto selection - and it's not like his junior season was far off from his sophmore season.

As for Davis having a better sophmore year than Sullinger's freshman season,
                    PPG:
                    Davis 18.6
                    Sullinger: 17.2

Rebounds:
                    Davis: 9.7
                    Sullinger: 10.2

Blocks (even though it's not part of either's game)
                    Davis: 1.1
                    Sullinger: 0.5

FG%:
                    Davis: .495
                    Sullinger: .541

So really, I can't reall agree with the statement that Davis' sophmore year was better than Sullinger's freshman year. It's more like a wash. And Sullinger a garnered player of the year nomination.

Comment

Yeah, Sullinger is 6'7" and 3/4 without shoes. With it, he's 6'9". Davis is closer to 6'7", which means he's probably 6'6" 1/2 - 6'6" 3/4. And while Sullinger is listed at 286, he's not at that weight. He's probably somewhere in the 260's. A lot of people questionned his conditioning but he came into the season, but he showed up in pretty decent shape. You're talking about a lot of variables and a lot of IF's. There is talent coming into the NCAA next season, however, I do believe in Sullinger. He's a good kid, he's a good leader and his ball IQ is very high. He doesn't get boxed out by opponents very often and I think he'll still be top-7 next season.

The difference between Davis and Sullinger is that Davis in his sophmore year was WELL over 300 pounds. And with a kid who's 6'6" 1/2-6'6" 3/4 and over 300 pounds, people can't help but think of Tractor Traylor. That's the reason why he was never considered as a lotto selection - and it's not like his junior season was far off from his sophmore season.

As for Davis having a better sophmore year than Sullinger's freshman season,
                      PPG:
                      Davis 18.6
                      Sullinger: 17.2

Rebounds:
                      Davis: 9.7
                      Sullinger: 10.2

Blocks (even though it's not part of either's game)
                      Davis: 1.1
                      Sullinger: 0.5

FG%:
                      Davis: .495
                      Sullinger: .541

So really, I can't reall agree with the statement that Davis' sophmore year was better than Sullinger's freshman year. It's more like a wash. And Sullinger a garnered player of the year nomination.
                      Can you just show me where Davis is listed at 6'6" or 6'7" with shoes? Please.

DraftExpress has him 6'8" without Shoes. (Or 6'-7.75") which is exactly what you're saying Sullinger is.

The rest is all opinion and personal judgement, of which I choose to just agree to disagree.
                      Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 11, 2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Can you just show me where Davis is listed at 6'6" or 6'7" with shoes? Please.

DraftExpress has him 6'8" without Shoes. (Or 6'-7.75") which is exactly what you're saying Sullinger is.

The rest is all opinion and personal judgement, of which I choose to just agree to disagree.

Would you choose to ignore this?

April 2, 2006
                        After appearing to make some serious headway in his bid to prove that he is an NBA caliber player with an outstanding tournament run thus far, Glen Davis was completely exposed against UCLA and might have damaged his stock beyond repair for this year’s draft.
                        That was his sophmore year..when he said he could have been a lotto pick...when in fact...

It’s hard to imagine his stock getting any higher after helping his team make the Final Four, so many expect him to at least test the waters this year to see where his stock lies. He’ll likely get his fair share of looks from 20-40, depending on how much weight he can take off over the next few months.
                        Could he have been taken in the first round? Sure. But lotto? Notsomuch.

I also pulled this up..

Weaknesses
                        Davis has quite a few weaknesses to his game as far as his NBA potential goes.
                        The first would be his size. At 6-7 or 6-8 at best, Davis is severely undersized for an NBA power forward already. Although being 310+ pounds works for him currently in the NCAA, NBA teams will have to see some type of potential for him to get under 280pounds if they are even going to take him seriously.
                        Davis is listed at 6-9 but appears to be much closer in actuality to 6-7.

All of the quotes were taken from draftexpress - LINK

That leads me to believe that he's not quite 6'7", but close to it. A lot of people prop up their height stats. It happens a lot in professional sports. Just like how people say Kemba Walker is 6'1", but he's like 5'11". There's nothing wrong with him being undersized. He's been able to control his weight issues and he carved out a nice niche for himself and parlayed it into a good contract.

Comment

Would you choose to ignore this?

That was his sophmore year..when he said he could have been a lotto pick...when in fact...

Could he have been taken in the first round? Sure. But lotto? Notsomuch.

I also pulled this up..

All of the quotes were taken from draftexpress - LINK

That leads me to believe that he's not quite 6'7", but close to it. A lot of people prop up their height stats. It happens a lot in professional sports. Just like how people say Kemba Walker is 6'1", but he's like 5'11". There's nothing wrong with him being undersized. He's been able to control his weight issues and he carved out a nice niche for himself and parlayed it into a good contract.
                          Ignore? I'm not ignoring anything.
                          Ok, so you managed to quote DE a few times, but fail to mention they have him listed, officially (as measured from Pre-Draft camps), as 6'-9" with shoes and under 300lbs.

And as for 'alot of people prob up their height'. Really?
                          So the NBA management, scouts and staff just ask the player how tall they are? And take their word on it?

Anyway, my whole point to this whole thing, is that I agree with Glen Davis, that Sullinger could in fact be hurting his chances by going back for a year. Look what happened to Ed Davis.

There are alot of IFs involved in that scenario where his stock does drop, but those IFs are not by any means impossibilities or completely insane to think as possible.
                          Last edited by Joey; Mon Apr 11, 2011, 01:49 PM.

Comment

• Multipaul wrote: View Post
                            This guy is a beast, lets draft him, plays with alot of hustle, like Pops Mensah Bonsu, but talented.

6'9, 243 lbs, 10 blocks vs Team USA yesterday!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...e.hoop.summit/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Biyombo-5902/
                            How did you miss the HUGE post about him that is at the top of the page? -_-

Comment

Anyway, my whole point to this whole thing, is that I agree with Glen Davis, that Sullinger could in fact be hurting his chances by going back for a year. Look what happened to Ed Davis.
                              The other gorilla in the room for someone who rebuffs a top 3 type position in the draft is the potential for injury which creates doubt in selectors going forward. That can translate into a lot of money and possibly non guaranteed if he fell into the round 2 because of it. DaJuan Blair is an example but I am not sure about his history re the draft.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                                How did you miss the HUGE post about him that is at the top of the page? -_-
                                oops

Comment

Working...
                                X