No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Barnes officially say he's staying yet?
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Barnes' Mother Hints That He's Staying At UNC. NBAdraft.net Immediately Reacts

Less than a day after Shirley Barnes told The Daily Tar Heel that her son has goals that he wants to fulfill, NBAdraft.net removed Harrison Barnes from his No. 2 overall selection to completely off the board for the 2011 draft.

“I’m starting to hear more people that think he might actually go back (to UNC),” NBAdraft.net analyst Aaron Smith said. “Right now it looks like a real possibility that he’ll go back.”

Both Smith and DraftExpress.com’s director of scouting Jonathan Givony said they have not heard any real talk of Barnes, John Henson or Tyler Zeller forgoing their collegiate eligibility and going to the NBA.

The sites are solely projections for that year’s draft. NBAdraft.net has been projecting drafts since 2000 and uses its own scouts as well as NBA and international scouts.

DraftExpress.com is a professional scouting service staffed by former or current members or consultants of NBA, NCAA and Euroleague teams.

Prior to taking Barnes off the board, Smith said there was a possibility the freshman could still be selected with the top overall pick.
      Source: DailyTarHeel.com

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
        The Raptors are set to have the third most lottery balls. The chance of them drafting out side the top four is very slim. I think that's a little too high for Kemba. He's probably going to go at the back end of the top ten based on some mock drafts I've been recently looking at.

My worry now is that Cleveland goes first, takes Irving and then the Raptors go second and are stuck with two guys on the board like Derrick Williams and Jared Sullinger. Both are excellent prospects but they don't need another PF. Both guys are probably top three talents in this draft if they come out... But they don't need another PF. What to do? Take Derrick Williams and figure it out later I guess...

If they did draft Sullinger, maybe he could be paired with Davis effectively in the paint... Hard to say. Sullinger is a huge guy even if he's not tall for a big man.

If they draft either then it's bye, bye Bargnani.
        Sullinger has already emphatically stated that he will not be entering the draft this year but will be returning to try to fight for a National Championship. I don't think we will have this problem. D. Williams has also not declared yet, just like Barnes. I am hopeful that at least 1, if not both, of those guys will make the decision to enter the draft.

Ideally we could have a top 5 of Irving, Williams, Barnes, Kanter, and Valanciunas. But most people are saying that Barnes will be staying at UNC. My hope is that Barnes suprises us like Perry Jones did, but by coming out when everyone expected otherwise.

Even still, there seems to be a fairly strong top-4. Hopefully we can luck out with the top pick.
        http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• And yet there was press yesterday that he has not ruled it out and has had guys like Big Baby in his ear telling him it's a mistake to go back.

Comment

• 1) Irving
            2) Valanciunas
            3) Kanter

If Williams and Barnes declare:

1) Irving
            2) Valanciunas*
            3) Barnes
            4) Williams
            5) Kanter

*He would be the best pick in the event of a long lockout. He could stay in Europe and play for a year while the American kids have to train on their own and wait. Then when Raps come back, they get another top pick next year and have 2 solid rookies coming in for 2012-2013. It is definitely the most painful option as a fan but could yield the most fruit for years to come.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
              1) Irving
              2) Valanciunas
              3) Kanter

If Williams and Barnes declare:

1) Irving
              2) Valanciunas*
              3) Barnes
              4) Williams
              5) Kanter

*He would be the best pick in the event of a long lockout. He could stay in Europe and play for a year while the American kids have to train on their own and wait. Then when Raps come back, they get another top pick next year and have 2 solid rookies coming in for 2012-2013. It is definitely the most painful option as a fan but could yield the most fruit for years to come.
              I can certainly understand the point about allowing Valanciunas to hide out in Europe and continue to develop in case of a lock-out, but I would disagree with your order if Barnes enters the draft.

1. Irving
              2. Barnes
              3. Kanter (if his knees check out well in the physical)
              4. Valanciunas
              5. Williams

Barnes is a more complete prospect and would mesh well with DeMar and Ed. His addition would give us a strong core to add to for the future. Can shoot the three well, strong handle on the ball, decent facilitator, and excellent defender (watching him on D is fantastic as he is constantly analysing his surroundings.

If there is a lock-out, it will certainly slow the transition for the players in the draft. For any player who has a strong work-ethic, it will not effect them as much. Nothing will properly simulate game action other then actually getting into an NBA game, but as Toronto is not aiming to be succesful next year, but for the foreseable future, I think Barnes would work better as a #2 pick.

Also, Kanter, if he checks out healthy, has shown amazing potential as a Center. He is big, strong, good touch on his shot, good post moves, and a solid man-on-man prospect. Scouts have been raving about him for years. The only question marks that he has are his health and the amount of time since he has seen game action. Big questions marks for sure, but not insurmountable. If his health checks out and he has strong workouts, then the questions are answered for the time being. Although, he could always end up like Yi Jianlian...

Comment

• I dunno, I think I'd take Barnes over Jonas. His defense and outside shooting is something the team sorely needs. The raps need a "blue chip" prospect. He'd fit in perfectly between Ed and DeMar at the SF spot. I dont deny the thought of adding a potential franchise center gives me a chubby, I just think at this point of the rebuild you have to add "surer" pieces. I'd look at drafting a big man next season or buying into the draft later on.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Good points on Barnes. That one would be a tough decision if I was the one making it. I don't think he declares but then again I though Perry Jones would - so what do I know.

Let me put it like this: I'll be smiling ear to ear with either of Irving, Valanciunas, or Barnes.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Good points on Barnes. That one would be a tough decision if I was the one making it. I don't think he declares but then again I though Perry Jones would - so what do I know.

Let me put it like this: I'll be smiling ear to ear with either of Irving, Valanciunas, or Barnes.
                    Agreed!

I would even throw Kanter into the mix if he is healthy and checks out.

Comment

• If kanter's knees check out I'd actually take him over Jonas.
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• He's certainly been getting a lot more love than Valanciunas lately at NBAdraft.net

Comment

• for those who are big on college hoops, does anyone have a opinion on cory higgins#11 6'5 sr. 180 lbs. ?

was trying to look at alec burks to see if at 6'6 he could play point guard but I found myself watching this kid more.

I am not suggesting in anyway that we draft him with our draft pick but he is a sr. so he could go undrafted at 6'5 and better ball handling skills than alec burk was interested to see if there are any opinions

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword...it_alabama.php
                          Last edited by grindhouse; Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:06 PM.

Comment

• First post! Anyone who is still using NBAdraft.net these days is getting some awful information. Jonas V compared to Nenad/Primoz? That's when you close the page...

IMO Derrick Williams should be a consensus #1 overall if he declares (I don't see why he wouldn't). The way he can change his offensive game to take advantage of defensive shifts is something you can't teach. He's a smart basketball player and most importantly, he'd be the wing player we haven't had since Carter. Those who are worried about his size - Shawn Marion anyone? He's just as athletic, if not more.

Kyrie Irving didn't make a smart decision declaring after missing 2/3 of his freshman season. He would have really benefited from more playing experience under Coach K, but if he thinks he can make it, more power to him. Kemba Walker was undoubtedly the best college player this season, but he's Ben Gordon v2. 6'1" with hardly any translatable PG skills.. While it is a coincidence, I'm not making the comparison due to the UCONN connection.

If a PG doesn't look like he'll become a sure superstar, you don't take him in the top 3. I have a hard time seeing Irving being that type of impact player. While it wasn't often, his decision making at some points confused me. Talented, yes. Quick, yes. Good vision, yes. But he needs a great coach to get the most out of him.

At this point, with no workouts done yet, the only player I'd be satisfied with is Williams.

Comment

• Perry jones!

Comment

• kmatrixg wrote: View Post
                                The way he can change his offensive game to take advantage of defensive shifts is something you can't teach. He's a smart basketball player and most importantly, he'd be the wing player we haven't had since Carter. Those who are worried about his size - Shawn Marion anyone? He's just as athletic, if not more.
                                kmatrixg wrote: View Post
                                At this point, with no workouts done yet, the only player I'd be satisfied with is Williams.
                                Welcome!

I actually don't disagree with this.
                                At first I wasn't too hot on DWill. I don't know why. But I've changed my position on him, and do believe he will be a VERY solid SF in the NBA. I would be quite happy if we walked away with him in the draft. Fingers crossed.

I see him as being almost a quicker, better shooting, not quite as "Bull-ish", Inside-Outside Blake Griffin.

northgrantballer wrote: View Post
                                Perry jones!
                                Are you saying this because he just announced he won't be entering the draft?
                                Of which I'm actually quite upset. I was pretty high on him.
                                Last edited by Joey; Tue Apr 12, 2011, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X