Question about Sonny.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Sonny.

I'm on the fence and wondering what others think.

It seems that Sonny has all the tools; athleticism, rhythm, hops, athleticism. However, there seems to be something lacking to his game. Is it immaturity, b-ball IQ..? Is it possible that sooner or later something will click and Sonny will become a consistent threat?

Demar seems to be much more confident since the the All-Star break. It's like he's matured right before our eyes. Can we expect something similar with Sonny? Is he worth holding onto, giving burn and seeing if there's something there?

Not really a good place to ask. Most the people on here seem to hate him and aren't really a good source for information on him.

Sonny is great are running the fast break, attacking the basket and midrange isn't have bad, he just needs to figure out how to defend but that can be said about other players on this team too (IE Bargs, Jose, Demar, Bayless, Ajinca etc.).

To answer your question Sonny was clicking before he JJ got but since then he hasn't really gotten min. I'm not sure what'll happen to Sonny right now.
    Last edited by RaptorsFan4Life; Mon Mar 7, 2011, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Sonny has all the phyiscal tools needed. His brain is the only thing slowing him down.

He isn't a smart ball player - bottom line.

When he is on, he is good - but that is like most players. When your shot is dropping, great. However, like many other Raps, he is a liability on defense (which is sad because I recall him being a good defender late last year, maybe I'm wrong on that, and again, he has all the physical tools needed) and offers little else in terms of production.

He doesn't make good decisions with the ball - a lot of turnovers when he tries to create.

I might be a little jaded but I had a lot of hope in him for the future at the start of the year. He had some good games and I recall a thread of should he be offered a contract extension while we can get him on the cheap. I said 3 years/2 guaranteed with a salary of around $2.75M a year. I think he'll be like Joey Graham and hard pressed to find anything more than the minimum next season.

I dont' think I hate Weems. If anything I'm more sad and disappointment because he didn't follow through on the potential he showed and the promise he offered. The fact this is a contract year makes it all the more sad.

Comment

I believe Sonny had 2 problems this year that has somewhat jeopardized his position on the team. 2011 is a contract year for him and his back injury. I sympathize with both conditions. I can imagine the pressure of playing for your next contract...but his mistake was not recognizing (or listening) that he was forcing his game on offense. Last year I remember he was often used as a last shot lock down defender on players like Kobe and he fared quite well. The whole team has regressed this year on defense so I am loathe to blame him on what is a team problem unless of course it was a man-on-man beating (he has been getting faked out on a +1 a few times). I actually think he would be a decent bench player to have on the team for next year and would not be too expensive. Depends on who is drafted and other subtractions like Barbosa.
        Last edited by Bendit; Mon Mar 7, 2011, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Sonny rhymes with money. That's about it. Oh, and the fact that he doesn't deserve the money that he thinks he deserves.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
            Not really a good place to ask. Most the people on here seem to hate him and aren't really a good source for information on him.

Sonny is great are running the fast break, attacking the basket and midrange isn't have bad, he just needs to figure out how to defend but that can be said about other players on this team too (IE Bargs, Jose, Demar, Bayless, Ajinca etc.).

To answer your question Sonny was clicking before he JJ got but since then he hasn't really gotten min. I'm not sure what'll happen to Sonny right now.

Well good thing you brought the correct opinion to this topic then.

Sonny does not have great size for a 3 and he does not have the ball skills at this point to play the 2. He is a solid transition player and is OK shooting the midrange off of one or two bounces. He does not spot up well, plays mediocre defense, and he has the tendency to disappear at times. To me he is not a hard player to replace on the roster, no need to overpay for a guy like this, if he wants to sign for cheap I am fine if he is re-signed.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

I like Sonny, but he's not starter material. Like other's are saying, he's too small to play the 3, it really hurts him. Also, his defense has regressed since last year (although, I guess, who's hasn't, right?). I think getting Barbosa on this team has kind of hindered his development, because he played great off the bench last year, and I really used to think that with some training, he could've been a Sixth Man of the Year one day. Now, I'm not so sure...he spent a lot of this season when he was playing forcing shots. I'll admit though, I do agree that the back problems severely affected his play a lot, but when he came back he tried to do waaay too much on offense.

Comment

put sonny at the 2 and have him come off screens but that will not happen as long as barbosa is here and is a better scorer. jay problem is he wants to change players styles and it is not possible with everyone. james johnson and julian wright are natural 3's, sonny at 3 is a mismatch every night. there are so many none ball handlers on this team that everyone would benefit from the ball not touching the floor but jay is not intelligent to see that and has calderon and barbosa dribble the air out of the ball.

Comment

I think he's just lazy and immature. Like you said, he definitely has all the tools to be a decent rotation player. He CAN play good defense, and he did so last season. This year, not so much. His decision making has been atrocious at times. And his effort has been lacking many times this season.

But he shows us enough good stuff like ability to run the break, pass the ball, stick the mid range, and good defense on occasion, to make us think that there's a future for him here. Although with Barbosa at the 2, there won't be much minutes for him as I don't believe he's a 3. More of a 1 than a 3 if you ask me.

Agree with Matt, he's been disappointing this season because I expected more out of him. I even liked him starting over DD to start the season. He's regressed since then (effort-wise) while Demar has improved dramatically.

Comment

according to me he could be a solid bench player. has the capacity to provide instant energy and scoring. It pisses me off when he thinks he is kobe 2.0 and starts taking tough fadeaways.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

Sonny is a shooting guard who can't shoot the three. And his handle is not good enough that it allows him to get into the lane whenever he wants. He's effective when he gets in there, but you have to get there first. I don't think they're going to give him a chance unless they can sign him to a minimum deal next year (or close to a minimum deal).

Comment

Rather than start a new thread, thought this might go fine here. Discuss.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...h-reduced-role

In the seven games since the arrival of forward James Johnson in a trade on Feb. 22, Weems has been ditched from the starting lineup and been used sparingly, playing more than 20 minutes just once. That’s bad news for a player whose contract expires at season’s end. Though there’s little doubt Weems will find work in the NBA going forward, suddenly the specifics of the scenario — where he’ll be playing next year, and for how much — aren’t nearly so clear.

“It is my contract year, and I want to feed my family,” Weems said. “I’m disappointed every day. It’s not pleasing at all, and it doesn’t make me happy. But it’s something I have to deal with. That’s the way the cards were dealt.”

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

In the seven games since the arrival of forward James Johnson in a trade on Feb. 22, Weems has been ditched from the starting lineup and been used sparingly, playing more than 20 minutes just once. That’s bad news for a player whose contract expires at season’s end. Though there’s little doubt Weems will find work in the NBA going forward, suddenly the specifics of the scenario — where he’ll be playing next year, and for how much — aren’t nearly so clear.

“It is my contract year, and I want to feed my family,” Weems said. “I’m disappointed every day. It’s not pleasing at all, and it doesn’t make me happy. But it’s something I have to deal with. That’s the way the cards were dealt.”
                          kinda sucks for him. But its JT fault for not realising that he's a SG not a SF. They should just shut down barbosa and let him get his surgery and come back 100% next year and give sonny the minutes.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post

Sonny doesn't get it. He was given every opportunity and he squandered them. He had a shot to start, this year and last, but especially this year. He had zero opportunity in DEN and look at what he has been given here. He and posters here might look at DD adn Bargnani and say, "well they don't play defense," and you'd be right. The difference is they can average 20ppg and he can't. The things that he can do offensively, they can do better. While the jury is still out on DeMar's defense long term, right now the things Sonny can do defensively, he can do better than Bargnani and DD. The difference here is he chooses not to do it. There is only one ball and the Raps need more players who do things much, much better than score.

The reality is there is more to this than defense. Even on the offensive end, his handle and ability to create for himself or others is not improving.

This article, in my opinion, reminds me of the expression when you are pointing the finger at someone else, three fingers are pointing back at you.

Comment

Raptors_ wrote: View Post
                              kinda sucks for him. But its JT fault for not realising that he's a SG not a SF. They should just shut down barbosa and let him get his surgery and come back 100% next year and give sonny the minutes.
                              I thought the most interesting thing in the article was Weems' remark about the team's defense and I agree with Feschuk that it is hard to convince guys to play hard on defense when your two best players don't. Honestly, looking at Julian Wright who did play hard on defense and tried to rebound relegated to the bench cause he couldn't score doesn't send the right message to guys like Weems.

Comment

Working...
                              X