No announcement yet.

NBA Expansion in Montreal: Five Reasons Why Canada Deserves a Second NBA Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBA Expansion in Montreal: Five Reasons Why Canada Deserves a Second NBA Team

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ba-team#page/1
    Nice article from writer Justin Bonin of Bleacherreport

What do you think about it?

Seems smart to me.. I'd especially like to see this since I'm moving to Montreal next year for school! Hopefully it happens eventually, I'd like another Canadian team to go for along with the Raptors

Comment

I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
        I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
        Unjustly? They were losing 20 million a year.

That being said I think Vancouver should be ahead of the Montreal.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
          Unjustly? They were losing 20 million a year.

That being said I think Vancouver should be ahead of the Montreal.
          There's a lot that happened in Vancouver that is not common knowledge. They were so badly managed, it wasn't funny. And that was before they were bought by an owner who had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. I have a close friend who worked for the Grizzlies and I heard plenty of stories. I can't tell you how many times he told me about stuff he saw first hand that had me shaking my head in despair. It was just sad.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

There's a lot that happened in Vancouver that is not common knowledge. They were so badly managed, it wasn't funny. And that was before they were bought by an owner who had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. I have a close friend who worked for the Grizzlies and I heard plenty of stories. I can't tell you how many times he told me about stuff he saw first hand that had me shaking my head in despair. It was just sad.
            Like what?

Comment

Didn't they lose their CFL team?
              The Montreal CFL team (Alouettes) just won their second consecutive championship.

Comment

Oh yeah its hard enough for Toronto to attract American players, but you can forget about it in Montreal that deals with a colder winter as well as the language barrier. I can picture some of the American's thoughts:

Yo forget it! I ain't going to no Mont-reel and be speaking French!! and its colder then Toronto dawg!!

Vancouver deserves a second chance. They should never have started 2 franchises in Canada at the same time.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
                  Like what?
                  There is some stuff I swore I'd never repeat, that had to do with certain people climbing their way up the corporate ladder by sleeping with other certain people who were married. And this was certainly not isolated.

AFter the new owners came in and Stu Jackson was shown the door, it took my buddy about a week to come to the conclusion that Heisley had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. And he's not a guy quick to judge. I've forgotten a lot of the details, but things like the fact that not one of the executives bought in Vancouver. Only leased. They got rid of a lot of the marketing staff and didn't replace them. They never reached out to the business community. And there was something to do with not contacting season ticket holders to renew. Things like that.

The $20 million loss was intentional. It made it easier for Stern to agree to the move.
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                    The Montreal CFL team (Alouettes) just won their second consecutive championship.
                    I obviously don't follow it. But didn't they not have a team for a while, or am I totally out to lunch on that?
                    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Out to lunch. The Alouettes have a pretty strong following in Montreal considering that it's a hockey crazed town. I think I'd rather have Vancouver get a real shot (if the stories in this thread are true) and Montreal is really hockey first forever.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                        Oh yeah its hard enough for Toronto to attract American players, but you can forget about it in Montreal that deals with a colder winter as well as the language barrier. I can picture some of the American's thoughts:

[B]Yo forget it! I ain't going to no Mont-reel and be speaking French!! and its colder then Toronto dawg!![/B.
                        I really don't believe that the language is a big factor. A majority of the population of MTL speaks english! Look at Saku Koivu, he spent about 10 years for the Habs without speaking a word of french. If you wanna be serve in english, you'll be!

Comment

They missed the most important aspect of such a decision. Does Montreal have the demand for NBA basketball? I don't care how big the city is if the population isn't going to be into the sport then what's the point? Does University basketball do well there? Do ratings of NBA and NCAA basketball do well in the city? Is the province of Quebec basketball crazy?

BR basically looked at the population. Looked at the fact that the city does and has supported pro teams in the past, added in some filler and said it is a good idea. If they were an investment adviser I'd toss them out of my house...

That said, in terms of a location, if guys find Toronto a big change how are they going to react to Montreal? I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Montreal, in fact I think it's one of the most beautiful cities in Canada and has many great things to offer it's citizens but it's closer to a European city than an American city. It seems that American players would rather play in places like Detroit, than in beautiful Toronto or Montreal.

Comment

NBA players would LOVE the peelers in montreal.

Comment

I obviously don't follow it. But didn't they not have a team for a while, or am I totally out to lunch on that?
                              They did lose the Alouettes for a really long time (81-96) and the fan base is vastly Anglo. Montreal, and Québec as a whole, has never shown capable of retaining interest in professional (read American) sports franchises. When the Als originally left there wasn't a whole lot of angst outside of a dedicated hardcore. But the thing with big time pro leagues is that you need the casual fan and corporate $$ more than a bunch of face painters. The Habs are religion in Montreal, way more than even the Leafs are to Toronto but as evidenced by the Expos (RIP), who weren't ever able to tap into the hearts of the francophone community, it's a tough sell. Plus you have the up and down nature of the separatist politics in Québec. Every time they get going just a little bit English money flees in droves. No one wants to do business with a group of civic leaders who want to break up the gravy train and start over on their terms.

I went to the Montreal Preseason game, it was a great time. But no way is Montreal or the province of Québec getting or wanting an NBA team any time soon.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X