Top GM's To replace BC if MLSE finally Cans Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top GM's To replace BC if MLSE finally Cans Him

I've been a big Fan of Colangelo for as long as he's been around. I've really wanted him to do well. But I've been a bigger fan of the Raptors for a lot longer than his term. Its become apparent that if Colangelo is let go than we need a top top tier GM who Knows how to build a team the RIGHT WAY. Rather than just saying that he need to be fired here's a List of potential GM's who after this year are realistically either Avaliable or Semi-Avaliable for the Head job in T.O

1) Joe Dumars - Current president of opperations of Detroit Pistons

I Have to Admit I'm biased here since I've been a Joe D fan since the Bad Boy days (And i wasn't even alive then ). But What Dumars offers is a wealth of experience both from a managerial and player position that hasn't been seen in toronto. He's won championships as a member of the Pistons and as an Exec for the team. He trades well (most of the time DAMN YOU AI) and has a decent sence for the draft (GOOD: Prince, Jerebko, Monroe, BAD: Darko). Most importantly his Detroit Experinece makes him a Defensive oriented person, both in his playing days and his 6 year run where the Pistons were the Best Defensive team in the league. One problem is that Joe D is very loyal to the city of Detroit and the Pistons Organization. It would be hard to convince him to leave especially since he has one year left on his contract. But with the status of the Pistons (Headach), the ownership Debacle happenning here in the motor city where the owner is in flux and the GM hand's are tied untill the team is sold, and the Uncertanty of the new CBA + the raptors favorable Cap and payroll for the future, I could See him comming here if we tried really Reaaaaaaly hard.

2) Danny Ferry - Current Vice President of Basketball Operations SPURS -

Danny as you know was the architect of the former Juggernaut Cavaliers. Danny works for the Spurs and would most likely win a championship there in his career. He's a former spur and won a title with them in 03, so loyalty to San antonio may be an issue. However he's the VP of the team and not the president, and being behind R. C. Buford (since 02) it's not likely that he takes over the head job any time soon. TO Can offer him the head job position and full reign, which is something the spurs can't. One thing I like is that he's a very tough GM and doesn't deal with Ownership BS. When Dan Gilbert fired Mike Brown in order to help Court LBJ back to Cleveland Ferry Quit on the spot because of an overintursive ownership. (Won't See that Here Danny). Ferry got cleveland out of the bottom and into the top of the league in 5 years. While having a Lebron James takes away from his credibility, I for one believe very strongly in Ferry if we had him moving forward.
    Plus He's a Dukie, Can't go wrong there (just won't see many UNC picks in the future. Sorry Ed)

3) Mark Warkentien - Former Denver Nuggets GM, now consultant for the NY Knicks-

THe man responsible for the Melo-Drama. He has lots of history and lots of experience building a team that actually contends. He would be the easiest to get because GM trumps consultant any Day regardless of the team.

Anyone else you think. Tell me if you think I'm wrong.
    What if... Blazers had drafted both Drexler, Jordan?

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Oh my god, NO! I HATE the first two. I think Dumars is so vastly overrated. I don't think it's a coincidence that since John Hammonds left, Dumars can't do anything right. The trade for Iverson was a disaster, So was the hiring of Michael Curry AND John Kuester. I said at the time that the signings of Ben Gorden and Charlie Villanueva had disaster written all over them. And what exactly was the point of bringing in Tracy McGrady? So he could show the young players who not to taken advantage of otherworldly talent?

He let Amir go for nothing and overpaid Jason Maxiel, picked the soft Austin Daye over Jrue Holiday, Ty Lawson, Eric Maynor and Darren Collison despite having a PG who can't pass (ROdney Stuckey). I can't think of many things he's done RIGHT in the last two years.

As for Danny Ferry, he completely bungled the job in Cleveland, making LeBron's decision to leave a lot easier. He traded for a 33 year old PF who doesn't defend and with one of the worst contracts in the league. He brought it Shaq, who was predictably a disaster. He overpaid Jamario Moon to sign with the team AFTER winning 66 games, and the best offseason acquisition that year was an over the hill Anthony Parker. The talent that he surrounded LeBron with was so good that they might see the biggest dropoff over for a team ever.

Ferry was a complete failure in Cleveland and never deserves to have a chance to be a GM again.

Warkentien is not a bad choice, though.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I know this is offtopic but I hope to god we don't get rid of BC. It'll just make the rebuilding process that much longer, especially because the new GM would most likely want to change the system.

Comment

Wow, couldn't agree more with ya Tim. Dumars has definitely lost his marbles over the past several seasons. The guy just reeks of bad moves over the last 2-3 years. In Danny Ferry's case, he was said to have consulted Lebron on most, if not all, of the trades and acquisitions that were made throughout his time in Cleveland. If you're a GM, who is supposed to know what a good move is and isn't, shouldn't you trust your instincts as opposed to those of a 18-24 year old?

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
          Wow, couldn't agree more with ya Tim. Dumars has definitely lost his marbles over the past several seasons. The guy just reeks of bad moves over the last 2-3 years. In Danny Ferry's case, he was said to have consulted Lebron on most, if not all, of the trades and acquisitions that were made throughout his time in Cleveland. If you're a GM, who is supposed to know what a good move is and isn't, shouldn't you trust your instincts as opposed to those of a 18-24 year old?
          He is the face of the franchise, if you don't consult with him and they have probs you're screwed.

BTW BC did the same thing with Bosh...

Comment

What about Kevin Prichard, hell he knew what he was doing.

Comment

RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
              He is the face of the franchise, if you don't consult with him and they have probs you're screwed.

BTW BC did the same thing with Bosh...
              There's consulting with your franchise player, and basically giving up decisions to him, despite your own opinions. In the end, the responsibility lies with Ferry. Either he made the bad decisions himself, which shows he's not a good GM, or LeBron made them, which shows he's a bad GM. Either way, he's not a good GM.
              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                What about Kevin Prichard, hell he knew what he was doing.
                I already went over this in another thread a while back, but Pritchard apparently has a lot of baggage that caused him to be fired. And it's why he still hasn't been hired by someone else.
                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I vote Ed Kupfer

Comment

JYFelony wrote: View Post
                    I agree with both of you but I want to put something out there some food for thought....is it possible dumars decisions as of late could be because of the money issues with the organization as a whole?

Comment

Quirk wrote: View Post
                      I vote Ed Kupfer
                      If your going that way than why not John Hollinger. Just kidding I hate that douch Bag, and he hates us too

From 1992 Beginner's Guide to the NBA Finals, The Oregonian's special section. Published 6/3/1992.

Michael Jordan was the #3 pick in the 1984 draft, after Portland selected Sam Bowie second.

Comment

grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        I agree with both of you but I want to put something out there some food for thought....is it possible dumars decisions as of late could be because of the money issues with the organization as a whole?
                        Thats exactly why. Joe D cant make any trades or moves without having the ownership back him up. If ownership is more concerned with selling the team and price negotiations than the on court affairs what's he supposed to do. I hear this all the time on the local radio in Detroit about how Joe's Hands are tied because of the Sale of the pistons.

Comment

Jordan-Drexler wrote: View Post
                          If your going that way than why not John Hollinger. Just kidding I hate that douch Bag, and he hates us too
                          Ed is from Toronto. Ed is Legend. If he can't get the trade he wants from an opposing GM he'll cut him with the sword he keeps hidden in his walking stick. GMs wont mess.

Comment

Here's one we forgot.

If we could somehow manage to snatch Sam Presti from OKC I would be highly interested in replacing BC with this man. The guy is a genius, and he sure knows how to rebuild/build a team.
                            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Danny Ferry? Make me GM of the team that has LeBron James on it and I'll look good.

Joe Dumars would be ok. He has been mediocre in his rebuild though. Has to make you consider if he's a one hit wonder. The guy passed on Melo, Bosh and Wade to draft "Donny Darko"...

Comment

Working...
                              X