Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jose won't pull a "T.J."

Rewind the tape...
    T.J. Ford, in his second season as Toronto's starting point man, hit the deck hard in Atlanta in December – this after Ford had played some beautiful basketball in a promising campaign's early days. In the wake of Ford's scary injury, Jose Calderon stepped into Ford's place as the starting point guard and offered some impressive contributions.

And as easy as it should have been to root for Ford once he returned to the floor – he was, after all, at increased risk of a life-altering spinal injury on account of a congenital condition – he soon became a locker-room disease. He couldn't seem to view himself as anything but the starting point guard. He wouldn't view Calderon as anything but in his way. And the tension ruined everything.
    Fast forward...
    "I'm not going to disrupt the unit that we have right now," the coach said
    "It's Jay's call. I'm ready to help the team, and keep winning games," said Calderon on Tuesday, after he participated in his first full practice with his teammates since his injury. "If I've got to be coming from the bench the first two, three, four, five games, or whatever, it's Jay's call. He's the coach."
    "It's not like Jose and I haven't played together ever. We played together (earlier this season), and we co-existed well, I thought," Jack said. "So I'm sure however coach feels he's going to fit (Calderon) in, or however the strategy is, I'll be ready for it."
    "I'm sure we'll make it work, however it's going to," said Jack. "We'll be able to make it work. I'm not worried about it. I'm not worried about it at all."
    TheStar.com

If we look back to Calderon's free agency one thing that was important to him was starting for a team. Time will tell if he keeps his same stance if he's still on the bench after 10 or 20 games...
    Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 6, 2010, 09:35 AM.

"It's Jay's call. I'm ready to help the team, and keep winning games," said Calderon on Tuesday, after he participated in his first full practice with his teammates since his injury. "If I've got to be coming from the bench the first two, three, four, five games, or whatever, it's Jay's call. He's the coach."
    Actually, this particular quote shows me that he could very well pull a TJ. Ford said the exact same type of things, deflecting how he felt about the situation to making it about the coach's decision and what is best for the team.

This statement almost indicates that he fully expects to eventually regain his starting role.
    your pal,
    ebrian

Comment

"I want to be a starter" - Jose Calderon, May 08, 2008

"As of today, the Raptors would like me to continue, however until the 1st of July we will not know anything about the possible renewal or other offers from teams interested in me for next season. What is clear is the fact that if I have to choose between a sports offer versus an economic offer, I will opt for the first. I want to be a starter and to be in a team that aspires for everything. Of course I will not be on a team in which I cannot be an important contributor nor if there is not a solid structure or if there are not options to be in the “Playoffs”."
      TorontoSun.com, May 08/08
      Last edited by Apollo; Wed Jan 6, 2010, 01:18 PM. Reason: Title change...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        If we look back to Calderon's free agency one thing that was important to him was starting for a team. Time will tell if he keeps his same stance if he's still on the bench after 10 or 20 games...
        I recall Ford saying something similar when it happened to him a couple years ago. So your absolutely right in that we do have to wait and see how Jose's handles things. I do think Jose is more of a team player than Ford was, so I'd like to think and hope that his comments are genuine.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
          Actually, this particular quote shows me that he could very well pull a TJ. Ford said the exact same type of things, deflecting how he felt about the situation to making it about the coach's decision and what is best for the team.

This statement almost indicates that he fully expects to eventually regain his starting role.
          Yup. I was thinking the same thing when I read that quote.

Apollo wrote: View Post

"As of today, the Raptors would like me to continue, however until the 1st of July we will not know anything about the possible renewal or other offers from teams interested in me for next season. What is clear is the fact that if I have to choose between a sports offer versus an economic offer, I will opt for the first. I want to be a starter and to be in a team that aspires for everything. Of course I will not be on a team in which I cannot be an important contributor nor if there is not a solid structure or if there are not options to be in the “Playoffs”."
          TorontoSun.com, May 08/08
          oh oh

Doc Naismith wrote: View Post
          I recall Ford saying something similar when it happened to him a couple years ago. So your absolutely right in that we do have to wait and see how Jose's handles things. I do think Jose is more of a team player than Ford was, so I'd like to think and hope that his comments are genuine.
          I really hope that is the case!

Here's a link to his interview on the Fan 590 today:

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...06_133332_9124

Comment

Jack isn't good enough for Jose to "pull a T. J." the Raps beat pretty crummy teams: Nets, NOLA, Detroitx2, Charlotte and then got blown out by half the Celtics. Spurs is a good win. Absolutely no way they would have pulled off the Magic win or Philly win last night without Jose on the floor. People are crazy talking about a Jose trade.

Comment

Working...
            X