Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Didn't even hear Leo call out "ONIONS!" after he hit that shot over Curry at the buzzer. Love it.
    More importantly, is Leo Rautins the most orange broadcaster in sports (non natural, I know this because his son is as pale as pale gets) ? Buck Martinez is pretty orange but I think that's natural, could be wrong though
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
      Didn't even hear Leo call out "ONIONS!" after he hit that shot over Curry at the buzzer. Love it.
      The shot with 50 seconds left? Doesn't he say "oh yes!" ?
      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• derozans shot chart last year:

derozans shot chart middle of the season:

shot chart as of today:

grass is getting greener. still want him to be able to finish at the rim at an above average level though, regardless of whether he draws a foul or not.

Comment

• iblastoff wrote: View Post
          derozans shot chart last year:

shot chart as of today:

grass is getting greener. still want him to be able to finish at the rim at an above average level though, regardless of whether he draws a foul or not.
          such improvement..
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• Derozan: My opinion has changed

Apollo wrote: View Post
            Based on what you seen from DeRozan so far this season has your opinion of him changed at all compared to when he was drafted? Is he exceeding your expectations, meeting your expectations or not meeting your expectations in any area? Please discuss.
            Even 4 months ago, you could probably find a post that I wrote saying that Derozan would be a good bench player, or a good 3rd scoring option, but we could never have him as a 1st or 2nd option. (I've also said he sucks and we should trade him, but enough about that).

Not only is he a legit 1st or 2nd option now, but he can pass. In a million years, I never would have thought that he would do the work necessary (especially study the film) to develop his assist totals to 4-5 per game. He court vision has improved from game to game. I can remember games at the beginning of the year where he wouldn't make the passes he makes now.

I STILL think that we need a guy who can create off the dribble to really be considered an elite team. I STILL prefer Lowry to have the ball at the end of the game, and he STILL takes too many long 2's. I also think Ross can be a much better overall player long term.

BUT I think that it really is a special to have a guy on your team who is willing to work this hard, and to make real strides in many areas of his game that you can see as a fan. He was basically crap last year, and to become an All Star this year, to average 25 ppg last month sets an example for everyone on his team, and really anyone who wants to see what hard work can do for you.

Finally, I think he's well worth the "BS" contract we signed him to.

Again, I don't LOVE his game, but he's a character guy, and represents what our city is about. He has earned my respect, and I feel good about him as our starting 2 guard.

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
              I don't LOVE his game, but he's a character guy, and represents what our city is about. He has earned my respect, and I feel good about him as our starting 2 guard.
              This basically sums up my current thoughts, too.

Comment

Even 4 months ago, you could probably find a post that I wrote saying that Derozan would be a good bench player, or a good 3rd scoring option, but we could never have him as a 1st or 2nd option. (I've also said he sucks and we should trade him, but enough about that).

Not only is he a legit 1st or 2nd option now, but he can pass. In a million years, I never would have thought that he would do the work necessary (especially study the film) to develop his assist totals to 4-5 per game. He court vision has improved from game to game. I can remember games at the beginning of the year where he wouldn't make the passes he makes now.

I STILL think that we need a guy who can create off the dribble to really be considered an elite team. I STILL prefer Lowry to have the ball at the end of the game, and he STILL takes too many long 2's. I also think Ross can be a much better overall player long term.

BUT I think that it really is a special to have a guy on your team who is willing to work this hard, and to make real strides in many areas of his game that you can see as a fan. He was basically crap last year, and to become an All Star this year, to average 25 ppg last month sets an example for everyone on his team, and really anyone who wants to see what hard work can do for you.

Again, I don't LOVE his game, but he's a character guy, and represents what our city is about. He has earned my respect, and I feel good about him as our starting 2 guard.
                This is a really good post.

If there was no presence such as Lowry I'm not sure he does it because they would just double and trap demar.. Ross' shooting stroke post gay trade has also helped I think.

I would also add those doubles and traps that use to be instant turnovers seem to have disappeared in the last 10 games. Is it a change in strategy by coaches or is it him recognizing and not putting himself in those situations? I would be inclined to say the latter.

Anyways I'm super impressed with DeRozan in spite of the long 2s.

Comment

• The evolution of DeMar DeRozan.

http://nba.si.com/2014/03/04/demar-d...-fundamentals/
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                    Key part of that article:
                    "For a time, DeRozan was useful as long as he wasn’t too prominent. He still hasn’t completely cleared that hurdle, but DeRozan is already far more comfortable in creating off the dribble than he was before.

His handle has grown increasingly steady, and this season in particular DeRozan has looked to make quick drives into the teeth of the defense when catching an opponent off balance. Toronto loves to have DeRozan receive a dribble hand-off before transitioning into an immediate pick-and-roll, challenging opponents to keep up with the offense’s side-to-side movement. DeRozan takes further advantage by often working away from the screen — a smart play that forces the defense to make yet another slide to account for his reversal.

There’s a quiet confidence in those drives that simply wasn’t there before — the kind hardened by practical experience and manifest through DeRozan’s willingness to push deeper into the paint and the structure of the defense. He’s always been a gifted player, but this is a cultivated talent brought on by opportunity and DeRozan’s own diligence."

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      Key part of that article:
                      "For a time, DeRozan was useful as long as he wasn’t too prominent. He still hasn’t completely cleared that hurdle, but DeRozan is already far more comfortable in creating off the dribble than he was before.

His handle has grown increasingly steady, and this season in particular DeRozan has looked to make quick drives into the teeth of the defense when catching an opponent off balance. Toronto loves to have DeRozan receive a dribble hand-off before transitioning into an immediate pick-and-roll, challenging opponents to keep up with the offense’s side-to-side movement. DeRozan takes further advantage by often working away from the screen — a smart play that forces the defense to make yet another slide to account for his reversal.

There’s a quiet confidence in those drives that simply wasn’t there before — the kind hardened by practical experience and manifest through DeRozan’s willingness to push deeper into the paint and the structure of the defense. He’s always been a gifted player, but this is a cultivated talent brought on by opportunity and DeRozan’s own diligence."
                      Not to diminish DD's accomplishments this year but might it be that new coaches (Nurse, Bayno) added for offensive purposes this year may also have been instrumental in his incredible efficiency development with the plays/screens to assist in this? Of course DD has to execute.

Comment

• I love DeMar. He's a phenomenal basketball player. His game isn't the ideal game I always hope for him but I like him a lot. But honestly, would it kill to take a couple inches back and shoot a three? He's sometimes right on the line shooting a long two when he could easily take a step back and shoot a three. That's all I want to see more of.

Comment

• Right now DD is playing at the rate of 1999-00 Jerry Stackhouse .

1999-00 25 years old DET NBA SG 82 games 38.4mpg 42.8fg% 28.8 3pt% 6.5(2pt)fgm 14.1(2pt)fga 46.2%(2pt%) 7.5ftm 9.2fta 81.5ft% 23.6ppg 3.8rpg 4.5astpg 1.3stlpg 0.4blkpg 3.8topg

2013-14 24 years old TOR NBA SG 57 games 38.2mpg 43.4fg% 30.1 3pt% 7.1 (2pt)fgm/15.4 (2pt)fga 46%(2pt%) 6.1ftm/ 7.5fta 80.7ft% 22.9pg 3.7rpg 4.5apg 1.1stlpg 0.4blkpg 2.2topg
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                            Right now DD is playing at the rate of 1999-00 Jerry Stackhouse .

1999-00 25 years old DET NBA SG 82 games 38.4mpg 42.8fg% 28.8 3pt% 6.5(2pt)fgm 14.1(2pt)fga 46.2%(2pt%) 7.5ftm 9.2fta 81.5ft% 23.6ppg 3.8rpg 4.5astpg 1.3stlpg 0.4blkpg 3.8topg

2013-14 24 years old TOR NBA SG 57 games 38.2mpg 43.4fg% 30.1 3pt% 7.1 (2pt)fgm/15.4 (2pt)fga 46%(2pt%) 6.1ftm/ 7.5fta 80.7ft% 22.9pg 3.7rpg 4.5apg 1.1stlpg 0.4blkpg 2.2topg
                            Interesting. I loved old Jerry Stackhouse. He was so tough to guard.
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Completely agree with this, especially the bold bits.

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                                Right now DD is playing at the rate of 1999-00 Jerry Stackhouse .

This is fascinating. I'm not sure there is a team in the league that wouldn't have been happy to have a 25 year old Jerry Stackhouse.

Comment

Working...
                                X