Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Everything Pascal Siakam

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Everything Pascal Siakam

    Pascal deserves his own thread as well. For a 27th pick, it's incredible that we can basically pencil him in for significant production with the 2nd unit this year. He's one of the best open court rim runners in the league, has a motor that won't quit, and comes across as a first class teammate/young man. The big question is whether he can be an impact defender in just his 2nd season.

    He doesn't get enough talk.


  2. #2
    Raptors Republic Icon rocwell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    20,977
    Post Thanks / Like

  3. #3
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Ha, merge please

  4. #4
    Raptors Republic Rookie Double Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I'm really interested in seeing him this year. He can rim run with the best of the quick bigs in the league but he has a little more finesse and shooting touch then... say... Clint Capella. He has all the tools to be a guy who can switch onto 4 positions.

  5. #5
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Double Helix wrote: View Post
    I'm really interested in seeing him this year. He can rim run with the best of the quick bigs in the league but he has a little more finesse and shooting touch then... say... Clint Capella. He has all the tools to be a guy who can switch onto 4 positions.
    He doesn't have anywhere near the defensive awareness or disruptiveness that better but similarly built + motored PF's have (e.g. Capella or Steven Adams). That's what he really needs to be a net positive on the floor.

  6. #6
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    He doesn't have anywhere near the defensive awareness or disruptiveness that better but similarly built + motored PF's have (e.g. Capella or Steven Adams). That's what he really needs to be a net positive on the floor.
    Similarly built? Adams and Capella are both centers whereas Pascal is more of a modern (ie smaller) 4. Siakam's defensive potential is not being a primary rim-protector like those guys, but as a versatile guy that can switch on the perimeter.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Tue Aug 15th, 2017 at 03:08 PM.

  7. #7
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    2,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    FWIW, Siakam did have a higher Block % than both Adams (in his 4th season) and Capella (in his 3rd), who are both centers, as well as being in the middle for Steal %. A lot more to defense/disruption than that true, but he'll learn. The Drtg & DBPM stuff doesn't grade too poorly for him either. But yeah, sss. Wait and see.

    http://bkref.com/tiny/Ot1OZ
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

  8. #8
    Raptors Republic Superstar S.R.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    4,520
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Similarly built? Adams and Capella are both centers whereas Pascal is more of a modern (ie smaller) 4. Siakam's defensive potential is not being a primary rim-protector like those guys, but as a versatile guy that can switch on the perimeter.
    There's nothing modern 4 about a PF with no shooting range (so far). But a high energy big with a good motor and mobility? The couple inches height difference between him and Capella/Adams falls within "similar" for me, maybe not for you. Siakam could absolutely be a mobile, small ball 5 if he elevated his defence as mentioned - that is a big if, he has a lot of development to make on that end.

  9. Like Shaolin Fantastic liked this post
  10. #9
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    There's nothing modern 4 about a PF with no shooting range (so far). But a high energy big with a good motor and mobility? The couple inches height difference between him and Capella/Adams falls within "similar" for me, maybe not for you. Siakam could absolutely be a mobile, small ball 5 if he elevated his defence as mentioned - that is a big if, he has a lot of development to make on that end.
    Regardless what you honk of Pascal's rapidly expanding range, it remains a horrible comparison based on size and position alone - to the point I can't even remember what the original point was.

  11. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie Double Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Regardless what you honk of Pascal's rapidly expanding range, it remains a horrible comparison based on size and position alone - to the point I can't even remember what the original point was.
    Capela is a little longer but Siakam's athleticism probably makes them comparable specimens as far as their max vert reaches are concerned.

    Capela is 6'11 in shoes.
    Siakam is 6'9.5 in shoes.

    Capela 7'4.5 wingspan.
    Siakam 7'3.25 wingspan.

    Capela weight: 222 pre-draft.
    Siakam weight: 227 pre-draft.

    Capela max vert: 31.5 inches.
    Siakam max vert: 36.5 inches.

    The comparisons were more about their rim running mobility at those sizes (elite), ability to switch onto another position beyond their primary, and how Siakam seems to have a more advanced offensive arsenal and deeper range than Capela. Given the current value of Capela this makes me more optimistic of Siakam's chances of becoming an interesting NBA player.

  12. #11
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    2,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
    Regardless what you honk of Pascal's rapidly expanding range, it remains a horrible comparison based on size and position alone - to the point I can't even remember what the original point was.
    I really hope "what you honk" is not a typo but slang the kids are using these days. I can dig it. "I don't care what you honk!" Yes, it fits nicely.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

  13. Like SkywalkerAC liked this post
  14. #12
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    762
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote S.R. wrote: View Post
    There's nothing modern 4 about a PF with no shooting range (so far). But a high energy big with a good motor and mobility? The couple inches height difference between him and Capella/Adams falls within "similar" for me, maybe not for you. Siakam could absolutely be a mobile, small ball 5 if he elevated his defence as mentioned - that is a big if, he has a lot of development to make on that end.
    Absolutely right. He needs to either become a mobile, top of the line defender or develop a very consistent 3 point shot or he's going to be a relic in this league. If he can't fit the small ball 5 or stretch 4 roles in the NBA he's not going to have a long career.

  15. #13
    Raptors Republic Superstar SkywalkerAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    3,858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Double Helix wrote: View Post
    Capela is a little longer but Siakam's athleticism probably makes them comparable specimens as far as their max vert reaches are concerned.

    Capela is 6'11 in shoes.
    Siakam is 6'9.5 in shoes.

    Capela 7'4.5 wingspan.
    Siakam 7'3.25 wingspan.

    Capela weight: 222 pre-draft.
    Siakam weight: 227 pre-draft.

    Capela max vert: 31.5 inches.
    Siakam max vert: 36.5 inches.

    The comparisons were more about their rim running mobility at those sizes (elite), ability to switch onto another position beyond their primary, and how Siakam seems to have a more advanced offensive arsenal and deeper range than Capela. Given the current value of Capela this makes me more optimistic of Siakam's chances of becoming an interesting NBA player.
    Sure, and there was some thought Capela might be able to play the 4 - maybe he would have in years gone by - but to my knowledge he hasn't really; Pascal on the other hand has only played the 4 as far as I know. Capela is a shot-blocker/dunker that projects to stay at the 5-spot. Siakam could play small ball 5 but he still projects as a versatile 4 (with 3-point range as of right about now, not sure how many 3s he made between the 905 and summer league but I remember him taking and making).

    Then, Adams is strictly a 5 and a pretty traditional one at that. I have no idea how good a rim-runner he is, but he probably has 30 pounds on Pascal. Poeltl is probably more of a power forward than either of those guys, let alone Pascal, so I still don't honestly know why we're talking about them.

    It's akin to saying JYD didn't have the defensive presence of Antonio Davis - yes, and...?
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Wed Aug 16th, 2017 at 02:18 PM.

  16. #14
    Raptors Republic Starter c-troop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    677
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's about time my boy got his own thread! Can't wait for Siakam to dunk on Embiid this season.

  17. #15
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Not sure which thread to put this in. Jazz just waived Joel Bolomboy who is a very similar player to Pascal..... a long, energy big with an evolving shot. Drafted 2nd round #52 by Utah. Pascal is a looking like a wasted 1st round pick.

    https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-u...joel-bolomboy/

  18. #16
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    2,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Not sure which thread to put this in. Jazz just waived Joel Bolomboy who is a very similar player to Pascal..... a long, energy big with an evolving shot. Drafted 2nd round #52 by Utah. Pascal is a looking like a wasted 1st round pick.

    https://clutchpoints.com/jazz-news-u...joel-bolomboy/
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

  19. Like SkywalkerAC, DanH liked this post
  20. #17
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    ***sigh** Do I really have to spell it out for you? Raw energy bigs like Pascal are always available. You don't have to waste 1st round picks on them.


  21. #18
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Nilanka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,855
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    ***sigh** Do I really have to spell it out for you? Raw energy bigs like Pascal are always available. You don't have to waste 1st round picks on them.

    Your post almost read like we should be chasing this Bolomboy kid, now that he's available.

  22. #19
    Raptors Republic Superstar Mess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    2,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    ***sigh** Do I really have to spell it out for you? Raw energy bigs like Pascal are always available. You don't have to waste 1st round picks on them.

    Actually that was very helpful.

    Aren't raw energy bigs with an evolving shot drafted in the 1st round all the time too? Almost like they're not all the same apart from 2-3 broad similarities.
    Two beer away from being two beers away.

  23. #20
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Mess wrote: View Post
    Actually that was very helpful.

    Aren't raw energy bigs with an evolving shot drafted in the 1st round all the time too? Almost like they're not all the same apart from 2-3 broad similarities.
    Sure, except Pascal wasn't projected to go anywhere near the 1st round. He's looking a lot more like a mid-second rounder who got picked way too early.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 10 users browsing this thread. (5 members and 5 guests)

  1. DogeLover1234,
  2. GOLDBLUM,
  3. Hotshot,
  4. KeonClark,
  5. SkywalkerAC

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •