No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait, they ranked IT #40? that dude was a legit MVP candidate last season?

This SI ranking sounds like trolling to me.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I'm sure defense plays a role in both IT and DD's rankings.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        It's really strange how scoring has become extremely underrated in today's game. I mean, he can't shoot 3's, and i agree that he needs to add a 3 to his game, but he's a hella mid range scorer.

Watch the game that i posted in the Vince Carter thread. Watch Iverson. Iverson in his prime was a mid range guy. And he's a guy who takes 30+ shots a night and usually makes 10-12 a game.

Hell, the GOAT, Michael Jordan was a mid range. player

Where would SI rank Jordan and Iverson if they were playing today?
        It's not just his lack of a 3 point game they are pointing out, it's also his lack of a heads up game. Jordan and Iverson were able to leverage their excellent mid range game to create for others. If Demar can consistently draw and kick out to others for open shots then his value sky rockets. Right now he forces his mid range game too much and often passes out only when forced to, putting team mates in bad positions. He showed glimpses of improving in that area last season, but he hasn't incorporated it into a regular part of his game as yet. Once he does he will be able to carry those bench units the way Lowry does.
        Last edited by LJ2; Tue Sep 12, 2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          I'm sure defense plays a role in both IT and DD's rankings.
          Harden and Curry are both below average defenders and i'm pretty sure both will be ranked in the top 10 maybe even top 5.

Kyrie Irving is another one. I'm a big Irving fan, but after the year that IT had last season there's no way Irving should be ahead of IT in any rankings.

Blake Griffin is another one. They'd probably rank him in the top 20. Who'd you rather have Blake or DeMar?

This "ranking" is all about popularity. Period.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• See these guys are clearly trolling.

https://twitter.com/SInow/status/907672698490429440
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• From the TSN article, this sums up the DeRozan debates around RR quite succinctly.

Sports Illustrated had him at No. 61 in 2015-16.

This season, SI has DeRozan sandwiched between New York's Carmelo Anthony and Milwaukee's Khris Middleton.

"Every year we relitigate the case of DeMar DeRozan, perhaps the league’s most polarizing player," the magazine wrote. "Our verdict comes down to this: DeRozan is a refined, impressive scorer whose limitations create real problems."

"For five straight years, the Raptors have performed better with DeRozan off the floor," it added. "The truth of his value is more complicated than that, though the wealth of mixed signals to this point are beyond coincidence. We know DeRozan can score. But to what end?"
              On one hand, DeRozan is an all-NBA caliber scorer.

On the other hand, the court has two ends and the entire roster needs to be constructed to account for his one-dimensionality.

I'd say discuss, but we're already nearly 22,000 comments into the discussion...

Comment

• Considering Beal is 32nd. I can't actually complain about 36 because Beal is better than DeRozan.

Comment

• Kyrie Irving better not be in the top 20 if they're taking on/off splits and defense into equation.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
                    They would still be properly ranked. Even though they shot a lot of mid range shots, they were still willing three point shooters whereas DeMar is not at all.
                    Oh really? MJ averaged 1.7 three point attempts per game for his career. Last year DeMar DeRozan averaged 1.7 three point attempts per game.

Comment

• Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Oh really? MJ averaged 1.7 three point attempts per game for his career. Last year DeMar DeRozan averaged 1.7 three point attempts per game.
                      During his peak, he averaged 3.2 attempts a game on 39% shooting (over 4 seasons from '92 to '97).
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• That said, the main difference with MJ is not the three point shooting. He was a way better scorer than DeMar (DeMar has never touched the efficiency Jordan had in his peak, and Jordan carried a 34% usage, like DeMar did last season for the first time, as his average from his second season to his second last season), a better playmaker than DeMar, a better rebounder than DeMar and a far better defender than DeMar.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          That said, the main difference with MJ is not the three point shooting. He was a way better scorer than DeMar (DeMar has never touched the efficiency Jordan had in his peak, and Jordan carried a 34% usage, like DeMar did last season for the first time, as his average from his second season to his second last season), a better playmaker than DeMar, a better rebounder than DeMar and a far better defender than DeMar.
                          Never compared DeMar to MJ(duh). All i said was, MJ was a MIDRANGE player, just like DD. In today's game if you're a mid range scorer you're poison. If Jordan was playing in today's game(or Iverson), i wonder where they'd ranked him?
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                            Never compared DeMar to MJ(duh). All i said was, MJ was a MIDRANGE player, just like DD. In today's game if you're a mid range scorer you're poison. If Jordan was playing in today's game(or Iverson), i wonder where they'd ranked him?
                            Probably the very top of the league? He was the greatest to ever play the game, after all, and scored more efficiently from midrange than most do using the three, and the whole point of the three point obsession is the increased efficiency.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• ...Michael Jordan also was named Defensive Player of the Year, and was a 9x All-Defensive 1st Teamer.

I'm as big a Demar fan as there is (or almost anyway ... looking at your Christian. Lol), but lets be real, there really is no comparison/parallel with the GOAT Michael Jordan, except to say that 3's aren't/weren't their specialty - Jordan averaged below 30% in 9 of his 15 seasons; Demar is 6 of 8.

Either way, Jordan didn't let his lack of 3 define him, and I don't expect Demar will either. But that should be the end of this Jordan vs Demar discussion. Haha

So .. I'm not sure who I agree with here.... Lol
                              Last edited by Joey; Tue Sep 12, 2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                                During his peak, he averaged 3.2 attempts a game on 39% shooting (over 4 seasons from '92 to '97).
                                Cherrypicking seasons (selection bias) is beneath you. Seven of his first eight seasons Jordan averaged 1.3 attempts or fewer. Even if you include the seasons from his first championship to his last, which is really a better definition of his prime, he only averaged 2.3 attempts.

That said, it's the wrong avenue for discussion because Jordan was of an era where the three point shot didn't matter as much. I only posted it to dispel a blatantly untrue point.

Comment

Working...
                                X