Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    When Bargnani or Bayless starting, DeRozan made 101 of 235 field goal attempts (43.3%).
    When neither Bargnani or Bayless is starting, DeRozan made 41 of 130 field goal attempts (31.5%).

DeRozan is a second or third scoring option. Playing alongside a scorer with the ability to create his own shot has a huge impact on DeRozan's game.

I believe DeRozan will do fine once Bargnani is back.
    Agreed. His improved numbers at the SF position are a reflection of the added spacing/attention Jerryd Bayless draws when he is in the lineup. Bayless drives the ball/makes three's which either opens up the lane, or draws help defenders, both of which leave more space for Derozan to operate.

I dont think that the idea is to have Derozan start at the 3, but instead to have Bayless in the starting lineup.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• All of Demar's time at SF has come with Bargnani out of the lineup ... so he's been first option on offense most nights.
      That kind of minimalizes some of the stats I believe.

Although, if Demar could rebound better - him at the SF could be an option.
      The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
        All of Demar's time at SF has come with Bargnani out of the lineup ... so he's been first option on offense most nights.
        That kind of minimalizes some of the stats I believe.
        How? He's been more efficient there. That's what the stats line shows. It's not like he shooting more and that's why his numbers went up.

Comment

• Sample size of 6 games is too small to say anything for certain. Plus, the work at 2-guard in the second half of last year suggests that it's not strictly positional.

I think the bigger change (as I posted in another thread) is that Bayless has the skills of an actual shooting guard. Derozan can play off of the time and space Bayless and Calderon create on the floor and find openings. Also, you have to consider that Derozan's shooting percentages were absolutely horrific. Eventually, law of averages catches up. Still, this is worth pursuing as Derozan does not have the ball-hanlding, playmaking or shooting skills to be a starting SG long term.

As for the size issue, not really concerned about it. Minny has been playing Ridnour at the SF and they are doing just fine. Matchups work both ways. If Derozan can rebound and defend a little at the SF spot, he will present matchups problems offensively where his lack of playmaking won't be as much of a factor against slower defenders.

Comment

• I haven't watched any Wolves games this year but you're telling me they're putting Ridnour on Durant, Melo and LeBron James? Wow...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              Yeah, I've been a big supporter of the idea since the beginning of the season when a lot of people were backing up the bus to toss him under it. My only condition has been that for him to truly be effective there consistently he needs to pack on another 10 to 20 lbs of muscle. That would bring him in at around 230-240lbs range. I think he needs it for in the post on defense and for standing his ground on the glass; if he's playing SF for the Raptors he would need to focus on rebounding the ball more. Another thing, it only makes sense to move him there if they find a better SG prospect to add to the core. I don't think that will be too difficult, just look at the draft. DeRozan has been striking me as a forward in a guard's body for a year now. He needs to hit the weights hard this summer.
              I wonder if that was part of what BC said earlier in the season on, I believe, the FAN590 regarding more to being a professional than shooting in the gym.

Comment

The benefit of the switch I'm referring to has nothing to do with this year. I don't care about what Bayless brings to the table. I wouldn't even risk a loonie in a bet on him being here next season. I'm talking if they draft a guy like Lamb in June. If they keep him at SG I think his upside is Corey Maggette in his prime. I'm not excited about that at all... Nice numbers but then you look below the surface...
                I am not a Bayless fan but I would not mind if the Raptors bring him bask on the cheap ($2.5M a year for 2 or 3 years) if they cannot resign Barbosa. Bayless can shoot the three and create his own shot, and I believe team should always have one guy like this on the bench.

I prefer the guy be Barbosa if he can be extended at a reasonable salary.

Comment

• Is the reasoning for this thread more to do with Demar being better suited to play at SF or does it have more to do with him lacking the skills to play at SG? I disagree with him packing on more weight than is natural for his frame because it takes away from his athletiecism. If he is going to make it work as a small forward he has to do it much in the way Andre Igoudala does....by keeping guys out of the paint and staying in front of his man. Fortunately, outside of Melo, LBJ, and Pierce there aren't many elite SF's in the league...I'm sure I'm missing a couple...but they should account for a small percentage of the match up's he would face...of course the three I mentioned are in the Eastern Conf.

It's a tough decision, but if I was the GM I might look at moving him. Can't dribble, not a good shooter and too small to be effective at SF.

Comment

• Bayless is a black hole and hopefully does not return, you can just see the frustration from his team mates when he's on the floor.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                      Eventually, law of averages catches up.
                      Can you explain what you mean by this?

Comment

• Maybe its just that he needs another effective scorer on the wing with him to spread the defense's attention. It works with Bayless at SG, but he might also be more effective at SG if our SF was more of an offensive threat.

I do agree though, Apollo, that he has more of a SF game - slashing, driving, catch & shoot - than a SG.

Comment

• no its just because we need a scoring punch. I think just start bayless with derozan, kleiza, Ed/JJ, Amir/Gray

Comment

• if you want scoring might as well bring calderon off the bench cause his shot is really off right now

Comment

I haven't watched any Wolves games this year but you're telling me they're putting Ridnour on Durant, Melo and LeBron James? Wow...
                              It's obviously situational. They'll run out Ridnour, Rubio and Barea late in games. Causes huge problems for opponents. The couple of times I've seen them do it, hasn't been a huge issue defensively.

Again, not saying Derozan's size at the SF would never be an issue but I don't think it's an overriding consideration. There are always match up issues on the floor you'll need to compensate for in order to win.

Comment

• Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                                I am not a Bayless fan but I would not mind if the Raptors bring him bask on the cheap ($2.5M a year for 2 or 3 years) if they cannot resign Barbosa.
                                The problem with that is his qualifying offer is $4M and if they don't extend it he's a UFA.

slaw wrote: View Post
                                It's obviously situational. They'll run out Ridnour, Rubio and Barea late in games.
                                This was what I was getting at. I'm not talking DeRozan at the 3 as situational. I'm talking he adds 10 to 20 lbs of muscle and goes to war at the 3 as a starter, as a permanent fixture there.

slaw wrote: View Post
                                Again, not saying Derozan's size at the SF would never be an issue but I don't think it's an overriding consideration. There are always match up issues on the floor you'll need to compensate for in order to win.
                                First game the opposing coach sees the size mismatch and starts posting him up all night long you might change your mind.

SandmanFan wrote: View Post
                                Maybe its just that he needs another effective scorer on the wing with him to spread the defense's attention. It works with Bayless at SG, but he might also be more effective at SG if our SF was more of an offensive threat.

I do agree though, Apollo, that he has more of a SF game - slashing, driving, catch & shoot - than a SG.
                                He certainly does, or I feel he does at least. I feel the team needs that. Bayless isn't the answer though. Come on, we're talking a deep draft and lots of money in the bank. Let's shoot higher than Bayless at the 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X